Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/8/11 2:42 p.m.

So it turns out I actually own three complete 928 motors and I really want to make a copy of Jeremy Clarkson's Top Gear coffee table out of one.

I figure I have to completely disassemble it, have it hot tanked, and then... what?

Sandblast? Clearcoat?

How do I get a top cut and mounted?

Suggestions for lighting?

Or am I doing this all wrong and I need to rebuild the V8 and turn the 944's bent-4 into a table? Or even better, buy a boat and have three Porsche V8 inboards power it (since I'm in fantasy dreamland thinking I can afford to rebuild even one of these).

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
6/8/11 2:47 p.m.

It is was me I'd clearcoat for finish. For mounting I'd probably just weld studs to the block and mount a glass panel to it (try a glass place) with some cool looking acorn nuts or something.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
6/8/11 2:48 p.m.

i was thinking the same thing for our office, but i have a VR6 block, which is a V, but a completely different V.

If i were you, clean it up, take out the con rods, bolt the con rods to the top of the block and have the pistons cocked to one side so all 8 make the same flat surface, then go to Michaels and get a piece of glass and some of those little glass nipple protectors and stick it on. As far as lighting goes, i was gonna shove a fluorescent light that is just big enough to shove down where the crank would sit, so that way, all the cylinder walls are lit up, have the wire coming out where the crank shaft ends.

Just my idea...

Javelin
6/8/11 2:55 p.m.

Hmm. I don't know how I feel about the piston idea. I will definitely be making some camshaft lamps, though!

Are the heads good for anything?

Should I build 3 and sell 2 for profit?

Javelin
6/8/11 2:55 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: It is was me I'd clearcoat for finish. For mounting I'd probably just weld studs to the block and mount a glass panel to it (try a glass place) with some cool looking acorn nuts or something.

The acorn nut idea is pretty good!

sanman
sanman Reader
6/8/11 3:04 p.m.

I've been playing with this idea for a while. I'll be curious to see what you guys come up with!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/8/11 3:11 p.m.

could always zoop seal the aluminum. If it can keep it from corroding out "in the wild" it should do well in your living room

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/8/11 4:36 p.m.

if i had a DOHC engine to make into a coffee table, i'd figure out how to cut away part of it and then drive it with a small electric motor so the valvetrain moved. naturally i'm talking about installing very light valvesprings and only having them on a couple cylinders. could even rig it so a blue light flashed when the intake opened and a red light flashed when the exhaust opened.

but that's just me.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
6/8/11 4:40 p.m.

^That is a super cool idea!

Javelin
6/8/11 4:45 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: if i had a DOHC engine to make into a coffee table, i'd figure out how to cut away part of it and then drive it with a small electric motor so the valvetrain moved. naturally i'm talking about installing *very* light valvesprings and only having them on a couple cylinders. could even rig it so a blue light flashed when the intake opened and a red light flashed when the exhaust opened. but that's just me.

They are SOHC's, but that idea is so bad-ass that I am going to have to try it! I built a cutaway turbocharger once, so how hard can it be?

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
6/8/11 5:56 p.m.

It's (barely functional) art...there isn't a right or wrong way. Do what seems right to YOU!

Bryce

Javelin
6/8/11 6:11 p.m.
Nashco wrote: It's (barely functional) art...there isn't a right or wrong way. Do what seems right to YOU! Bryce

What seems right to me is getting a 1980's Cigarette hull, mounting all 3 Porsche V8's in that sucker with superchargers, and then drive it everywhere to the Miami Vice theme, but it ain't gonna happen as the Lottery is broke and even if I win it it won't be enough.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/8/11 6:40 p.m.

Mine is more of a small end table, but mainly due to the size of the engine and plexiglass i had available :) I've got some trophies on it now.

I painted the block and waxed any bare metal. Still looks good after almost two years.

http://teammathermotorsport.com/Engine_Table.html

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
6/8/11 7:04 p.m.

I have nothing to add but when I googled I found that whoever made this - set the bar pretty damn high.

fasted58
fasted58 HalfDork
6/8/11 7:12 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I have nothing to add but when I googled I found that whoever made this - set the bar pretty damn high.

Radial FTW

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
6/8/11 7:30 p.m.
fasted58 wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I have nothing to add but when I googled I found that whoever made this - set the bar pretty damn high.
Radial FTW

[/thread]

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Reader
6/8/11 8:31 p.m.

I always thought of one on it's end as end tables, making it somewhat taller. I've also thought up of old wheels stacked up as end tables, one sitting one way, and one turned to where they halfway interlock. Using old coilovers or shocks as legs. But that would probably take up too much space to be an end table, and be too tall for most coffee tables.

You can make furniture out of more than just engine parts and seats. Personally, I love this stuff.... my wife says "what kinda woman...."

Javelin
6/8/11 8:35 p.m.
JoeyM wrote:
fasted58 wrote:
Radial FTW
[/thread]

Berkeley yes!

fasted58
fasted58 HalfDork
6/8/11 8:36 p.m.

add an auto parts mailbox while yur at it to round out the homestead

wspohn
wspohn Reader
6/8/11 9:02 p.m.

Best coffee table I've ever seen - but you need a V12 with downdraft carbs (this is a MIura motor and transaxle - think giant very expensive Mini lay out.)

Javelin
6/8/11 9:07 p.m.

My starting point.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
6/8/11 10:36 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

Go to Walmart, buy a glass-top table and tape that pic to the bottom?

GuamSTI
GuamSTI New Reader
6/8/11 11:06 p.m.

oldsaw wrote:

In reply to Javelin:

Go to Walmart, buy a glass-top table and tape that pic to the bottom?

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
6/8/11 11:07 p.m.

Giving me hope for my buick(or was it olds?) 350 in the basement, again.

Stupid iron blocks

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7mJZW1rITqviqGYNaVvmqFK60D7qU6lW6Gedtojb0w4pn3BjkhGFV9Y7o3gmxIg0