mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/7/19 1:50 a.m.

I may have an opportunity to buy a 2010 CX7 with 100k miles for basically trade in value. It “needs brakes” and the owner was told that it would cost $2,000 at the dealer. Sounds like that is all it needs. 

I’m considering it as a flip. Buy it, throw between $200 and $750 worth of parts at the brakes—I’m thinking that it potentially needs new calipers/rotors/maybe lines if they were quoting $2k (although this same dealership once quoted me $300 to remove locking lugs without the key), and stick it on Craigslist to get it out of here. Anything I should know about this or be scared of? I know the 2.3 turbo was problematic.

Looking at prices, they seem to be worth at least $4k, and probably closer to $6k. What’s the bottom dollar for one in average condition, cloth seats, 100k? I don’t know if it is the 2.3 turbo or 2.5, but I’m not sure that matters as I don’t anticipate owning it more than 400 miles 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/7/19 2:37 a.m.

The 2. 3t is known for oil consumption issues this then brings on the addition of cooked turbos. Add to this a weak 4wd drive system that is complex (read as expensive) and unreliable. 

The 2.5L verison offered in 2010+ is a known quality engine and is offered as fwd only. That fixes both of the CX7s problems. 

I flip some cars and I try not to buy something I wouldn't keep if I had to.  I would not want to keep a 2.3L. However, I would keep a 2.5L. Even more, I highly recommend a 2.5L as a good value. Its a car that benifits from the depreciation and bad reputation of the CX7 but avoids all that justifies that bad name. 

You say this one has brake problems. Just be sure to confirm that it doesn't have 2.3L engine/oil problems and 4wd problems too. 

If 2.5L...go forth! 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/7/19 3:04 a.m.

It's probably likely that the current owner is unsure if the car is a 2.3L or 2.5L.

Spotters guide:

• If there is any awd badging then 2.3L
  • ​The 2.5L was only offered in the entry model called the i-sport trim
  • The i-sport did not offer leather seats in 2010 so if leather then 2.3L

You mentioned cloth seats so if it really is a 2010 then it's 2.5L.  Yeah! 

In 2010 the Escape/Mariner went to 2.5L also. This leaves the CX7 as pretty much an Escape running gear (in simplistic fwd format) with a much sexier, Mazda body. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/7/19 4:06 a.m.
John Welsh said:

It's probably likely that the current owner is unsure if the car is a 2.3L or 2.5L.

Spotters guide:

• If there is any awd badging then 2.3L
  • ​The 2.5L was only offered in the entry model called the i-sport trim
  • The i-sport did not offer leather seats in 2010 so if leather then 2.3L

You mentioned cloth seats so if it really is a 2010 then it's 2.5L.  Yeah!

Really? There were no 2.3s with cloth?  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/7/19 4:31 a.m.

Pre 2010, CX7 offered only one engine so yes, you can find earlier 2.3t w/ cloth. 

For 2010, the new entry engine was the 2.5L, only offered with cloth, only offered in fwd. 

The 2010 line up was:

Sport: 2.5L, fwd, cloth (no leather add on option)

Touring: 2.3t, awd, leather

Grand Touring: 2.3t, awd, leather, navigation and more

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/7/19 7:02 a.m.

Sweet! 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
4/7/19 10:45 p.m.

That's a hell of a deal then since the likelihood of it having major problems is WAY lower. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/8/19 8:18 a.m.
Vigo said:

That's a hell of a deal then since the likelihood of it having major problems is WAY lower. 

TBD... I still haven't put eyes on it, and am getting all of this information from my BIL who knows little about cars other than to do an oil change on whatever version of Camry he's driving. But yes, it sounds like a good deal--it is BIL's good friend who will be trading it in. He was told "it needs $2k in work on the brakes" and that they "could only give you $1k on trade". It would go straight to auction, so the $1k probably isn't much of a lowball on the dealer side (honestly, it is probably just tehm telling him they don't want it on trade). If I can get it for $1,500, I get the guy an extra $420 in his pocket ($80 tax savings if he were to trade it for $1k) and he doesn't have to work to sell it--I don't think he would take the effort to sell it, so a trade in is really his only option.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/8/19 8:44 a.m.

The dealership is just hearing "CX7 with problems" and that is no surprise to them so they do not want it.  You have to be an idiot savant (or a GRMer) to know that a '10 w/ cloth makes it all better.  

To MTN:  Get the owner to send you a cell phone pic; one that proves it's a 2010.  For a non-GRm'er this could be as easy as as the cover of the owners manual,  a pic of the registration, or a pic/screen shot of their proof of insurance.  If that does come back as verifying model year 2010 then just ask him if it has cloth of leather.   2010 cloth = 2.5L

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/8/19 9:30 a.m.

My BIL is driving the guy to the airport in it tomorrow, so I'll badger BIL about it then. Hopefully I can work from home tomorrow and just go look at it in person on lunch. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/8/19 10:27 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

This CX7 that needs $2,000 worth of brake work is being driven to the airport?  At that price, I assumed the car was off the road/undrivable.

Maybe the easy money is to offer to repair the brakes for only $1,000.  Not bad for a Saturday afternoon!

I'd like to see that repair estimate.  If driving then my guess is it's not ABS pump or lines or master cyl. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/8/19 11:11 a.m.

Again, this is the same dealership that quoted me $300 to remove locking lugnuts that THEY HAD INSTALLED when I lost the key (I didn't put them on, I'd bought the car with them). I would not be shocked if they quoted that for new rotors+pads and said that there is a dragging caliper said that all calipers need to be replaced. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
4/8/19 12:41 p.m.

If it looks pretty decent and drives nicely, maybe we should do a vehicle purchase in the opposite direction from last time - I'd be interested in it. My Mazda6 wagon is coming to the end of its life with me, I think. I don't begrudge you making a profit on it, either. Let me look into the specifics of these things and meanwhile you work on actually getting it for a good price!

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/8/19 1:19 p.m.

I’ll keep everyone posted. Dculberson, if anything happens you’re second in line to someone else on the forum who pm’d me about an hour before your post. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/9/19 6:53 a.m.

My sister had a 2010 FWD with cloth and the most bad ass Stormy Blue Mica paint. It was a fun car to drive, but it ate headlights like a fat guy on taco Tuesday. The headlight replacement on one side sucked, and the other side was a complete nightmare. I loved, and hated that car! Loved how it looked and drove, hated that I was tasked with doing headlights every couple of months.

About a month ago I saw one just like my sisters(color and all) outside of a Dunkin Donuts, and instinctively (maybe Pavlovian) started replacing the headlights for the owner. He had no idea why, but was appreciative. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
4/9/19 7:26 a.m.

Definitely avoid the 2.3t ones. My friend bought a used one and it munched its way through 4 junkyard motors in a 2 year time. It was at the shop more than he ever drove the car. And my friend is not someone who abuses cars. He ended up making the used car lot he bought it from take it back and got a Chevrolet Captiva from them.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/9/19 9:32 a.m.

We have a 2010 purchased new with the NA 2.5. By 2010 the dealers knew that the turbo model was a disaster and they didn't even want to let me test drive one. It's been a great car. In 125,000 miles we've had a couple hundred dollars worth of non-consumable repairs. That's it. I'm not in love with it, but the thing is very well made. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WCEBjb6gZfcDU8CbEXkyFshMYNkhNPKUhpgC8aBTd0mlkBLbqIqWZ0u5eynPx1CH