GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/24/19 10:23 a.m.

What I'm talking about is the process of multiplying your VE table by a certain value to bring the highest values closer to 255 for the purpose of improving the resolution of your VE table, and reducing the ReqFuel number to compensate so that the engine runs the same as it did before. From what I understand you use the same number, if you multiply the table by 2 for example you need to divide the ReqFuel number by 2, is that correct? And of course I'd have to do the same to the idle VE (if used) and cranking pulsewidth (for older models). How does this affect cranking on MS2X and newer, it seems that cranking fuel is inextricably tied to the ReqFuel number so that could be a problem, do I have to trick it using the crank pulse/temperature multiplier curve to get the right amount of fuel for starting? Anything else to watch out for?

I've been meaning to do it to my own car for a while, the highest values are a bit over 100 so I figure I'll multiply by 2. Last night I finally got a buddy's extensively rejiggered turbo Lancer into a driveable state and his needs it done badly, max VE values are around 60.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
9/24/19 10:34 a.m.

I see absolutely zero advantage to this technique once on MS2/3 as there is 10x resolution in the VE and other tables (000 vs 000.0). 

Set the req_fuel correctly, tune car. If there is another reason for wanting to do this, likely something else is broken/set incorrectly.

GameboyRMH
9/24/19 10:38 a.m.
Paul_VR6 said:

I see absolutely zero advantage to this technique once on MS2/3 as there is 10x resolution in the VE and other tables (000 vs 000.0). 

Set the req_fuel correctly, tune car. If there is another reason for wanting to do this, likely something else is broken/set incorrectly.

The Lancer's ECU doesn't seem to allow decimal places in the VE table...it's an MS2 so maybe the firmware needs an update? I'll check on that.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
9/24/19 10:46 a.m.

What version of MS2 are you on? It's possible that B&G code may not have the 10ths place in the VE . I haven't seen an ecu running it in a long, long time. If so, msextra.com for the current firmware almost everyone else is running.

*Edit - memory was wrong, it was the PW that had the extra resolution in MS2 not the VE table, that came in MS3. That being said, I have never had to get more VE table resolution in MS2.

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
9/24/19 11:28 a.m.

B&G code would be the problem, you should be using Extra code,  http://www.msextra.com/downloads/

Also if you have a manifold referenced fuel pressure regulator, that lowers the big numbers.

Using the calculator is recommended.

Regarding the OP I am not sure the relationship between the two numbers is as direct and simple as stated.

Injectors that are too large will also cause the numbers to be small.

What size injectors do you have and what is the estimated HP?

The code interpolates between cells up and down besides sideways, it's not a hard step to each cell, and probably some time factor as well.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/24/19 11:38 a.m.

A lot of the issues I was having with MS after I did an injector swap (hard starting, very poor temperature compensation) were because I incorrectly fiddled with constants to make the VE table look "right" instead of using the correct constants.

There are algorithms that assume you have the constants correct, and aren't adjustable to compensate for trying to outsmart the computer.

I can't think of a situation where the VE table's resolution is a tune killer.  Because of interpolation, it's never at precisely that figure anyway, and if you have an area where the VE swings wildly, you can make your grid points closer together in that region.

GameboyRMH
9/24/19 11:46 a.m.

Looks like it quite possibly is running the B&G code, it's an MS2 hardware version 3.5.7, without a daughterboard, and it's never been reflashed.

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
9/24/19 12:06 p.m.

Correctly identify your MS ecu here

If it does not have a daughter card and has a 40 pin single chip processor it is a MS1.

The current tune will include a string that ID's the firmware version.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
9/24/19 12:28 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Looks like it quite possibly is running the B&G code, it's an MS2 hardware version 3.5.7, without a daughterboard, and it's never been reflashed.

v3.57 is a mainboard version, and it can have MS1/2/3 attached to it. There is no way to tell MS1/2 without connecting or popping the case top off. MS3 is obvious with a taller case and SD card and USB ports on one end.

If you are on MS2 and are going to MS2/extra there may be some other mainboard changes, or settings to watch out for, during the upgrade (specifically ignition outputs).

With everything set up "correctly" an injector swap will cause no change in the main VE table. The req_fuel calculation, injector deadtime and slope corrections will all take care of it. This obviosly assumes that the original injectors had all of that information as well as the new ones!

GameboyRMH
9/24/19 12:47 p.m.

I assume it's also possible to get the hardware details through TunerStudio by plugging into it? That's something I can do later in the week.

The guy has a receipt for an MS2 so it's probably not an MS1. He says no daughterboard but I don't know that for sure. The case has one row of connectors on it unlike my MS3X, the case is slimmer too.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
9/24/19 12:50 p.m.

Yes if you connect to the ECU it will read the tune and display the code version up in the header.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IjRKeq2QThEV50SDnFv6MZixghfhA6HFApY7vDtW243SGzlnyUODbWQsdsHzXmU4