06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/15/21 8:08 a.m.

On a whim I searched the list of Craig last night and found a 2009 GTI for sale in my area for near-challenge money.  Rebuilt title, but the car didn't look too bad in the pictures.  I haven't contacted the seller to check it out yet. I'll share the link, possible deal or best to run away? https://tallahassee.craigslist.org/cto/d/greenville-2009-vw-gti/7392393946.html

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
10/15/21 10:06 a.m.

These fall under my rule of "Nothing more expensive than a cheap German car" and "You're buying the seller, not the car".  What I mean by that is you need to buy a car from someone who's maintained it properly and has the records to prove it. 

Otherwise be prepared for it to empty your wallet in a hurry since it'll be a hot mess.  By the time you're done getting it back up and going you'll have spent more than what a much nicer example would cost.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/15/21 10:14 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

The seller admits some issues with the car in the ad, and that rebuilt title does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling either.  I really don't need the car especially with the red flags in this listing.  Looks to be a nice project, but I already have one of those sitting in my driveway in need of attention.  Think i'll pass on this one.  Thanks for the advice docwyte!

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/15/21 11:27 a.m.

Yeah, I think the Mk5s were excellent *new* cars but it seems like they have not aged well and both the TSI and FSI variants have their own unique issues. Especially with a rebuilt title, you should be running, not walking away.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qo4aShbxsZoe0OVUuUcvLO2Rg53GsoLR46XH6jnYMdiqJTysJYd57qw1gYjw7jOt