1 2
Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
7/5/19 2:28 p.m.

Someone on here was considering different styles for their car and described one option as being "murdered out".  What does this new lingo mean?

p.s. (Should I feel old and out of touch, or is this non-sense?)

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/5/19 2:29 p.m.

No it's a real thing. It basically means all-black - black car, black wheels, maybe black tint and smoked lights.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf SuperDork
7/5/19 2:29 p.m.

not a new term. 

it means to be all blacked out.  (tinted windows, blacked out trim, black wheels, etc.)  

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
7/5/19 2:32 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH & xFlowGolf :

Sigh.... I guess I should feel old then.indecision

Thanks for the clarification.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf SuperDork
7/5/19 2:35 p.m.

seems a good place for a pic dump.  ;-p

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/5/19 2:38 p.m.

So what do we call this trend from the 90s? Angeled out?

Well, I thought it was an old trend. But this apparently belongs to Lebron James, so it's back?

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/5/19 2:38 p.m.

I thought you were going this direction with your xjr.

Maybe you should based on the pics above!

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/5/19 2:42 p.m.

This thread is incomplete without a discussion about how to un-tint windows and lenses. cheeky

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia HalfDork
7/5/19 2:43 p.m.

We always called triple white Rabbit cabrios " Stewardess cars"  

Hey I lived near the Airport :)

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/5/19 2:45 p.m.

In reply to Ransom :

I peeled the tint off all the windows and replaced the taillight housings on my Mustang. I never have been able to clean all the glue off the windows though.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/5/19 2:47 p.m.
Daylan C said:

In reply to Ransom :

I peeled the tint off all the windows and replaced the taillight housings on my Mustang. I never have been able to clean all the glue off the windows though.

Spray foaming glass cleaner and a razor blade. Only way to go.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/5/19 3:10 p.m.
xflowgolf said:

not a new term. 

it means to be all blacked out.  (tinted windows, blacked out trim, black wheels, etc.)  

In actual practice, it often means the owner of the car got frisky with a can of Rustoleum flat black primer.frown

_
_ HalfDork
7/5/19 3:28 p.m.

Don’t forget, slammed to the extremest extent, and largest baller wheels you can fit. Camber be damned. 

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
7/5/19 3:29 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Well, I thought it was an old trend. But this apparently belongs to Lebron James, so it's back?

I believe the correct term is "coked out"

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
7/5/19 3:36 p.m.

Started out as a tuner-DIY thing but now even the Dodges of the world have their "Black Editions" where they charge you thousands to basically plasti-dip exterior accents  that are typically chrome.

As with anything there are tasteful versions and, shall we say, non-tasteful versions? I have plasti-dipped at least one exterior item on my last three cars at this point, it is somewhat addicting (but only in moderation).

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
7/5/19 3:42 p.m.

I've certainly been aware of cars with trim/wheels/windows etc. blacked out for quite a while. What's new to me is the terminology of this style as "Murdered Out".  My friends (who are also old) have always referred to them as "Blacked Out"

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy HalfDork
7/5/19 3:46 p.m.

Quite a few factory 80’s cars got this off to a start. Buick GN, GMC Syclone, Chevy 454SS. I think Ford made a couple “Midnite” badges trucks back then. 

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/5/19 3:54 p.m.
G_Body_Man said:

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
7/5/19 3:58 p.m.
codrus said:
G_Body_Man said:

Import/Export. smiley

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
7/5/19 4:01 p.m.

I didn't really know what 'murdered out' was either I guess.

Saw a midnight edition something the other day and had forgotten about the trend.  So massively boring and massively popular just less than a decade ago.

The worst was the '45th' fender badged Camaro parked on the street today.  That appeared to be the only distinguishing mark other than some okay looking rims.  The 'Hotwheels' Camaro wasn't much better when I saw one again recently.

If that's what sets you out from the crowd then you need to untuck that button-down when at play. laugh

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
7/5/19 4:13 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In the 80's I distinctly remember that monochrome trend being called "Euro look".  I was quite fond of it at the time...... and Erebuni catalogs.

I have since recovered laugh

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
7/5/19 4:21 p.m.
Indy-Guy said:

I've certainly been aware of cars with trim/wheels/windows etc. blacked out for quite a while. What's new to me is the terminology of this style as "Murdered Out".  My friends (who are also old) have always referred to them as "Blacked Out"

I call 'em Darth Vader mobiles.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/5/19 4:25 p.m.

Murdered out isn't that new a term. I've known it for years. 

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
7/5/19 4:56 p.m.

I learned about it here at GRM.  I don't know if it was specifically this thread, but here's a nearly identical inquiry from 2012:  https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/murdered-car-slang/47797/page1/

So yeah, it means we're old.  I'm starting to wear that like a badge.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/5/19 5:32 p.m.

I can only guess that "murdered out" is dirived from the all black bird, the crow, and when in a group, known as a murder of crows. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jdX8wtF68uWdHs1kA16wcZYue48DGCUtCrTUBMimd6Oxseipz5bLH7BO1HLFESaV