1 2
Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Reader
4/13/10 8:43 a.m.

Learn me: New Chargers

I did a search on the site but no luck. I am looking at the newer (2006+) Dodge Charger for a daily driver.

I can’t find much honest info on them, especially for the none SRT-8 models.

I came across some forums, but they are like any other model specific forum – a love fest for the car.

I am not interested in appearance mods or quarter mile times.

I test drove a used 07 and it would have been a perfect car had it had a few options and a stick (why didn’t they make this car with a 6 speed?). I am a little gun shy on Dodge autos, I have a 96 Ram that went through 3 of them, usually going out over 100 miles from home while towing a motorcycle trailer.

I have seen some Daytona’s with decent miles for just above my price range, but I haven’t driven one yet. A 3.5 AWD would be the most practical, but I do love RWD dynamics and the seats that come in the Daytona are really cool.

Is there anything to be worried about with these cars? Any problem areas to watch out for? Any suspetion package to look for or avoid? How would it autocross?? I just sold my 99 Miata, will it handle the same??

I need a 4 door for two car seats and am considering this, a stick shift CTS, a stick Mazdaspeed6 and a stick Saab 9-3 2.0T Sport Sedan. I have not driven the Mazda or Saab yet. Also, any decent forums for these?

mw
mw HalfDork
4/13/10 9:01 a.m.

While I have not driven all of them, I find all of your other options more appealing than the charger.

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
4/13/10 9:20 a.m.

I also dont find the charger appealing, mainly because of the stereotype of the people who drive them. lol

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/13/10 9:23 a.m.

I have driven one, and was not impressed at all (5.7 Hemi). The seats are very wide and flat, the car is HUGE, and the oomph isn't there (thank you Benz for the horrible open rear diff with 2.xx gears...). The autotragic is tragic and the build quality shameful (it was brand new!). I'd drive anything else first, especially a CTS or MS6!

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
4/13/10 9:28 a.m.

The back door line eliminates it from my equation, I have a lot of big customers who can't get low enough to easily get into the rear.

I am also very wary of the autotragic, Dodge autos simply suck over the last 20 years

Powar
Powar HalfDork
4/13/10 9:34 a.m.

The 9-3, MS6 or CTS will be infinitely more entertaining cars in every way.

integraguy
integraguy HalfDork
4/13/10 10:01 a.m.

Apparently, the lifespan for many automatics in the last 10 to 15 years has been a short span. My sister recently bought a Chrysler Sebring with the auto, even tho she was a dyed in the wool GM fan....I hope the automatic on her car lives a long life.

This weekend, while drivng on I-81 from Pa. to Tn. I saw many Chargers and a few Daytonas. They are sharp looking cars....I guess, I'm just not crazy about that rear window/door line. The Euro market gets a DIESEL and manual transmission option, so it would have been doable, just not worth it, apparently, for this market.

Instead of a Charger, I'd rather have a Magnum...more useable space..

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/13/10 10:04 a.m.

The 2.7 is a total dog, the 3.5 will be better. No manuals made. Go check out the CTS. You'll have to search to find a stick, but it will be worth it.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/13/10 10:09 a.m.

I'd pick the Magnum, too, I don't like the Charger's roofline. If I insisted on a sedan, I'd look for a 300C instead. But my general mistrust of recent Chrysler products would probably keep me from buying either one, especially if the CTS-V is in the mix.

iceracer
iceracer Dork
4/13/10 10:15 a.m.

I drove a Charger at an aitocross and for a huge,heavy car, I was impressed. I handled quite well & with a hemi it had plenty of power. The seat and interior was quite nice.

81gtv6
81gtv6 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/13/10 10:20 a.m.

I will second the roofline thing. It will get very old trying to get kids in and out of car seats in that. The same thing killed my push to get a Volvo S60R when we had our second child.

phaze1todd
phaze1todd New Reader
4/13/10 10:26 a.m.

Check TopGear Series 12 Episode 2. They were constantly having to stop and wait for Hammond in the Charger.

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
4/13/10 10:28 a.m.

What about the Lincoln LS with the V-6/5-speed?

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Reader
4/13/10 12:06 p.m.
JFX001 wrote: What about the Lincoln LS with the V-6/5-speed?

A quick search on autotrader.com shows only 2 within 200 miles of me and they are both have over 100k miles. I am having a hard time finding a Mazdaspeed6 to test drive less than 45 mins from me. The Lincoln will be too rare.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Reader
4/13/10 12:10 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: I'd pick the Magnum, too, I don't like the Charger's roofline. If I insisted on a sedan, I'd look for a 300C instead. But my general mistrust of recent Chrysler products would probably keep me from buying either one, especially if the CTS-V is in the mix.

I was looking at the Magnum as well. I don't need the extra cargo space (we just bought a GMC Acadia).

I test drove a 04 CTS-V. It was fun, but in my price range I think that they will be beat up and have lots of miles on them. I am looking to keep it between $16k and $18k if at all possible.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Reader
4/13/10 12:14 p.m.
81gtv6 wrote: I will second the roofline thing. It will get very old trying to get kids in and out of car seats in that. The same thing killed my push to get a Volvo S60R when we had our second child.

We almost bought a S60R before we got our old Audi. By the time we were ready to buy, we couldn't find one in a 6 speed in our price range. How reliable has it been for you? That is one thing I am wary of after the Audi. I will most likely be putting lots of miles on my next used car and no longer have a 3rd car if something goes wrong.

81gtv6
81gtv6 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/13/10 1:00 p.m.

In reply to Rusnak_322:

We ended up with an 03 SAAB 9-5 Aero, the back seat of the S60 was not any bigger than our 9-3 and it was harder to get in and out of the back seat.

The 9-5 has been great, good power, roomy and 35+ mpg on the freeway and they are easy to find with a 5spd.

But the S60R was sooo nice, the one I looked at was a cobalt blue with grey wheels, black leather. It was very hard to give it back to the dealer.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Dork
4/13/10 1:10 p.m.
JFX001 wrote: What about the Lincoln LS with the V-6/5-speed?

Run away. I did not enjoy that vehicle even in V8 version.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow HalfDork
4/13/10 1:13 p.m.

For what its worth mazda really had its head on straight with regard to the transmission in the mazdaspeed6....

the 6 speed manual is the only option

slefain
slefain Dork
4/13/10 1:13 p.m.

Shame on the Charger. I like it but the reliability and build quality are awful. I really like the 300 but good grief what a crappy interior. My Hyundai feels more luxurious than the 300. I REALLY want a Magnum but the transmission problems coupled with stupid high used car prices put that one as a no.

Ranger50
Ranger50 New Reader
4/13/10 2:00 p.m.

Damn some harsh words being issued for a very decent domestic automobile. I used to work a DCX dealership and while they did have some pitfalls there really weren't any drastic never can drive the vehicle again problems. I do agree the 6spd would have expediated sales, you can thank Benz for giving it a POS slushbox that they don't even use anymore. Performance lacks a bit because they pull some timing to make the trans live behind the torquey V8. But really I have never seen one of those transmissions have problems internally, it was always the electrical connector above the pan on the pass side that leaks or a cooler leak in the radiator.

The interior could be a bit better but it isn't awful.

As for reliability, it all comes down to the previous owners' maintenance. When the manual calls for a plug change at 30k, do it! Don't bitch at 35k when you get a misfire and you haven't changed the plugs, whether it is a POS 2.7, decent 3.5, or expensive 5.7/6.1.

2.7's can't pull a greasy string out of a cat's behind with the cat running the other way. Avoid it like the plague. Some of the early 2.7's had misfire complaints traced to a bad passenger side cylinder head design, big $ fix.

3.5's at least have some power. Just see if the rocker shaft assemblies have ever been replaced, they have a tendency to shear the rollpin off and allow the exhaust shaft to move back and forth causing a rattle. That is really an easy fix for a DIY for about $200 for new assemblies and an afternoon free.

5.7/6.1's are probably the most bulletproof motors in the LX platform. I have replaced a few complete long blocks, but one was in an abused cop car and the other was a 300c with 107k on it.

And with all DCX's vehicles, EGR's go bad all the time. If you have an EGR code, replace it. Front brakes, don't skimp on cheap chit. You will cuss yourself into an early death if you do.

With all that said, if I had the cash, I'd buy one in half a heartbeat.

Brian

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Reader
4/13/10 2:07 p.m.

I'll be interested to see about parts availability over the next while. Are there going to be orphaned components that Fiat won't buy from Mercedes to fix dodges?

Cotton
Cotton HalfDork
4/13/10 2:36 p.m.

I like the looks of the charger a lot, but I haven't had a chance to drive one. A guy at work has a red Daytona and he hasn't had any problems.

Cotton
Cotton HalfDork
4/13/10 2:45 p.m.
Travis_K wrote: I also dont find the charger appealing, mainly because of the stereotype of the people who drive them. lol

here is a sampling of the cars I own: Porsche 911, Dodge Diesel Dually, Chevelle 454SS, MR2, Austin Healey

Pick your stereotype........ Thankfully I don't sway how I think or what I buy based on a stereotype.

njansenv
njansenv Reader
4/13/10 3:04 p.m.

True that: if I bought a car based on what people think, I've missed out on all kinds of automotive goodness: BMW (yuppie), the Corvette (well...you know), and (future) Miata.

There's more, but I've strayed far enough OT.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
96OPWfwNfob0l9XkW71ZU0hPTbbEObJx36puVS4b7jmFcuxbBY5dAQKVvpc2jREd