1 2
Bobzilla
Bobzilla HalfDork
7/16/09 4:59 p.m.

I only mention it because there are a few cheap things to make it much more enjoyable on the daily slog, and it's a proven plaform and drivetrain. Sorry to make it worse! lol

VanillaSky
VanillaSky Reader
7/16/09 5:50 p.m.

It's not bad, you're not adding another dealership stop to my list, so all's good.

nicksta43
nicksta43 New Reader
7/16/09 6:28 p.m.

I test drove an Astra and a Suzuki sx4 recently. I found the seating position in the Astra awkward but fit like a glove in the sx4. Both cars were manual and I like the shifter in the sx4 way better than the Astra. I walked away from the Astra thinking that I would be completely bored with it in less than a week, it really was a let down based on what I expected it to be. However the sx4 really impressed me. If it was my money I would choose the sx4 over the Astra, plus you could pretend your driving a WRC car.

bam2002
bam2002 New Reader
7/16/09 9:12 p.m.

If you want a fun car to drive you dont get a Auto. V sky is getting one, due to sharing the car with Wife if I read correctly. And IMHO you find a used certified WRX or BMW or MX5 or GXP. Since you will be doing Mods etc.

Suzk makes nice Bikes. My wife rides a SV 650. and can hang with my R6 all day. But not sure about the cars.

When I was shopping I could of gone with the GTI or the Mazda 3. Or even the GXP. But I had to keep reminding myself I already have an Auto X car. Im looking for something to drive in rush hour, gets Ok milage and can be handed down to my daughter in 3 years. Guess it depends what your looking for. To me 3 years of total maintance - car washes etc was worth it. So i can spend my weekend playing with the Auto X car and dont even need to wash the daily driver.

VanillaSky
VanillaSky Reader
7/16/09 10:30 p.m.

I already have my fun car. It's in my driveway waiting for me to finish it. I just need something that doesn't bore me completely to death. Automatic is a requirement due to my wife, and new is a requirement for the CARS program. If used were an option, I'd be all over something like a P71 or 9C1 Caprice. I typically prefer to let someone else take the initial depreciation on just about everything I buy. Even if I had $50,000 to spend on a car, I'd still be looking in the sub-$20,000 price range, but be looking at a used BMW or Audi.

Something else that appeals to me about the Astra and Elantra Touring is the grown-up factor. Neither of these cars seem like starter cars. Some of the others on the list have other qualities that make them acceptable choices, but none seem as grown up (and in our price range) as the Astra and Elantra Touring.

While we're here, anyone else have anything to say about the Elantra Touring?

wrenchedexcess
wrenchedexcess New Reader
7/17/09 2:01 a.m.

I am also looking at cars for the family fleet. Mainly for the wife. She did not like the Astra, HHR, Vue, or Equinox. She did like the Jeep Patriot. It is no autocross car but it will suit her needs. It also has one option that I would have appreciated about 25 year ago. The seats resist odor. There is nothing worse than removing baby barf from the rear cloth seat in an 83 Monte Carlo. It took almost 2 years to remove the smell, or I got used to it. So if you plan on having little ones it might be something to consider. I'm trading in a 2000 Astro van on the cars program. With tax and title $17,500 out the door.

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
7/17/09 2:08 a.m.

I'm with Nicksta483, if it came down to the Suzuki SX4 hatch, and the Astra, I'd go for the SX4. A little stiffer, good on gas and really fun to drive. Plus, it has cupholders. The Astra sticks one behind the driver (really awkward if you're a java addict) and the other, get this, is a depression on the open glovebox lid, just like an airplane tray.

forzav12
forzav12 New Reader
7/17/09 2:09 a.m.

I've had a bit of experience with cars over the years and the current fleet includes: a V12 Ferrari, an early race 911, a newer Holden/GTO,the Vanishing Point Challenger, newer 911, a Corvette, a Shelby GLHS,newer BMW,510,etc,etc,etc. I say this only for perspective as I recently purchased a Saturn Astra to add to the near 20 car fleet. Here are my impressions-the model I bought was the 3dr XR. It is the m5,fully loaded with the sport package(18" alloys w/PZeros!), leather heated sport seats,upgraded audio,OnStar, power everything, rain sensing wipers,etc,etc,etc. I was told it is a pretty rare Astra with those options. After a few thousand miles of spirited driving, I've found the steering to be quick, accurate and responsive. The chassis dynamics are rather satisfying with good turn-in and road feel. Cornering levels are high. Braking is excellent. The shifter is short throw, if slightly rubbery. Steering wheel is thick and feels perfect(also has a number of controls incorporated into it). Seats are comfortable with adjustable lumbar and heat. My fuel economy has been stellar so far with 35+mpg. The storage capabilities are good with the seats(split folding) up or down-and I've been able to fit my mountain bike in the back. The gear ratios are closely spaced, although a 6th gear would have been nice as I occasionally like to cruise at 80+(the Astra gets a bit buzzy above that speed). Legal speeds are quiet and relaxed. Power I'd describe as adequate. The car looks very rakish and I've received many compliments from enthusiasts-most of whom have no idea what it is. It does seem like it would appeal to the "grown-up" buyer-makes sense as it's one of Europe's most popular cars. It has a nice warranty and the free OnStar(for a year) is great. The sound quality of the audio system is good for a car in this segment. Now, for the best part-my car stickered at over 20K and I was able to purchase it for MUCH less. The Saturn dealer had a number of incentives and the sales manager worked with me to "move some iron". I also was eligible for the GM loyalty discount. To summarize, quite an upmarket little DD with serious sporting aspirations.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla HalfDork
7/17/09 7:30 a.m.

Don't forget the RRM Turbo kit for the SX4 punching the power to over 230.....just sayin'.

VanillaSky
VanillaSky Reader
7/17/09 11:24 a.m.

I may be eligible for a GM loyalty discount, as I'm currently in a Camaro. If they can work with me, it's going to be a tough decision. If they can beat the prices of some of the other competition, then I think I'll be driving an Astra in a couple of weeks.

VanillaSky
VanillaSky Reader
7/17/09 3:51 p.m.

Local Saturn dealership is knocking $4500 off the price. That makes the Astra the second cheapest car on my list, with the cheapest being the Hyundai Accent sedan.

forzav12
forzav12 New Reader
7/17/09 4:30 p.m.

The Accent is pure manure, so I'd hardly consider it list worthy.

kevinSC1
kevinSC1 New Reader
7/17/09 5:31 p.m.

I've had my Astra for just over a year, and have 17k miles on it. Dad and I drove it from St. Louis to Daytona for the Rolex 24, and it was great. I love the car, handles well, and at least with the 5-speed is peppy enough for normal spirited city driving.
I will say the rear opening isn't as big as some of the other cars in the segment, but it is quite roomy inside. 4 full grown adults can ride comfortably in the car - 5 is one of them is small.

The cup holder annoyed me for about a day, until I realized it is the first car I've owned where I'm not constantly knocking my drink with the shifter. And there are 2 more that pop out of the back seat that can be reached with a minimum of effort.

VanillaSky
VanillaSky Reader
7/17/09 7:51 p.m.

The car has more cupholders than the zero cupholder Camaro that it's replacing. Very much a non-issue to me.

I'm going to Saturn of Daytona tomorrow to give it a drive. I won't be buying just yet, as my wife is away right now, and the Camaro is fully in her name. She's given me the go-ahead otherwise. I should have had her sign the title before she left. Since I'm the one that's making only verifiable income at this time, her small income won't count anyway. I plan on financing on as short of term as I can afford, which ideally will be 3 years. Get it payed off quickly so we can put that payment money towards a house.

VanillaSky
VanillaSky Reader
7/18/09 1:52 p.m.

Well, they only have 5 speeds available. That's awesome because I talked my wife into learning to drive stick.

Anyway, the salesman is a gearhead himself. He has SCCA solo2 trophies in his cube and a regional champ plaque for D Prepared.

Anyway, as long as it hasn't sold, I'll be taking delivery in just over a week when my wife gets back into town.

It's a shame that the Astra didn't sell well. It's a nice car that feels solid. We'll be happy about this purchase for a long time.

bam2002
bam2002 New Reader
7/18/09 7:21 p.m.

Nice. I would imagine the 5 speed has a bit more pep than a slush box.

If the car sells let me know what your looking for the dealer here in Tampa has about 8 on his lot. Its only a 2.5 hour drive for you...

post photos once you get it..

VanillaSky
VanillaSky Reader
7/18/09 9:13 p.m.

The car felt quite zippy for the little amount of power it actually has. The shifter is pretty smooth, but a little rubbery. Very easy to drive, and feels very solid, unlike most of the other cars that felt buzzy and cheap. Both of the remaining units have leather, which is an option I wasn't requiring, but they both have the sport suspension package, which gave a pretty firm ride.

Anyway, we'll be getting a $21,000 car for right around $12,000. Not bad, considering that I don't have to fight for that price.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Reader
7/19/09 11:24 a.m.

I may be off on this but isn't the Saturn Astra the same car as the Vauxhall Astra. That has the VXR version which is pretty quick. It seems part swapping could be pretty easy.

VanillaSky
VanillaSky Reader
7/19/09 4:35 p.m.

Yeah, same car. A swap should theoretically be possible with the Cobalt SS engine as well. I wouldn't be interested in a swap in the near future, but I may be once the car isn't shared any longer between my wife and I.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla HalfDork
7/20/09 1:46 p.m.

After driving my F-I-L's 07 Spectra5 from Oro Valely to Phoenix to catch one of the longest rides home ever... I must say I would throw on a rear sway bar and tires and call it a day. Quiet, strong, fuel efficienct and body motions are all kept in check. A perfect DD.

VanillaSky
VanillaSky Reader
7/27/09 10:12 p.m.

Alright, we took delivery of the car today. It feels faster than the Camaro in acceleration, but I found myself having to back off on the interstate.

Being that it's been a year and a half since I've driven a manual daily, I think I'm doing pretty well. I'm just getting used to having to shift again. Feels so much better being in control.

I'll post some pictures when I get a chance. There are a couple of minor appearance issues from the car sitting for 2 years in the FL sun unused, which I'll have taken care of in a few months. So strange to have a warranty on a car.

I'm really glad that I found a car that fits me at this stage in my life. Everything else just seemed too young for us. This feels just right.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wWixZzrKG4DbnQcLWzkkne7cArBGlj6zIFZyinTqa0tdrozGEBH9tnxl9FxH7Xhk