1 2
Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
5/7/16 10:16 p.m.

The want is so strong!!

I've heard 88s are the ones have, but they are slim pickings or sellers want mint for them. The 86-87 GT can still be had for less than challenge dollars.

What does the hive know about these?

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/7/16 10:33 p.m.

Had one. Lots of torx screws. Everything is hard to get at on the front side of the V6. The GT does come with a weight penalty. Mine was one of those cars that seemed to have a desperate interest in falling apart. If something new wasn't breaking, then the actual repair process would result in issues. I've never had so many fasteners just break. There was a five speed and a four speed manual, as well as an auto. I've only driven the four speed, but I hear the five is better. You can pull codes with a paper clip - the diagnostic port is under the cigarette lighter garnish, and you just jump two terminals. The quarter windows always crack.

My favorite GT feature has to be the illuminated P O N T I A C lettering on the taillights.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
5/7/16 10:35 p.m.

a friend had one until it caught on fire, while driving down the road. he loved the car up until it tryed to kill him. was an 86gt.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
5/7/16 11:02 p.m.

Weren't those not even designed to be a sports car until the last year of production? It's late 80's cool, so when it breaks down just comb that mullet back, roll down the window, and crank some van halen while making car engine noises from the driver's seat.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
5/7/16 11:08 p.m.

They were always designed to be a sports car, the GM brass told Pontiac that they couldn't have a 2-seat sport coupe so the first years only came with a 4-cylinder and economy gearing.

The public wanted more power so the designers were able to put forward the V6 model that they had intended to build as the solution.

The next generation was supposed to have a Quad 4 and Pontiac was working with Porsche on a new engine design but it all got killed of just when it was starting to get good.

Gm went all "general motors" on the project.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/7/16 11:18 p.m.

This should help:

http://ateupwithmotor.com/model-histories/pontiac-fiero/

Blitzed306
Blitzed306 HalfDork
5/7/16 11:54 p.m.

Having owned a 87 iron duke and the elusive 88 v6 ws6 , I honestly couldn't tell much difference from a handle perspective with them both being stock. But I still have the giant spoiler off the 88

NickD
NickD Dork
5/8/16 6:43 a.m.

Get an '88. The '88 actually had it's own clean sheet rear suspension, instead of using the front suspension out of a Citation (which was what gave them a reputation for being evil-handling) In '88 there was also the Formula, which was the lighter base body style but with all the GT goodies. Personally don't care for how those look, myself, but people hunt for them. Everyone I've ever met who has owned a Fiero has absolutely adored them and owned them for significant amounts of time without any major issues.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
5/8/16 7:17 a.m.

The GT is what creates the want!

Every 88 GT I find is way more than I want to spend ($5k+) or stripped of the suspension bits. I found one locally, but chassis wise, it was two steps away from returning to the earth.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/8/16 7:24 a.m.

I've never owned one, but I recall there can be serious hidden structural rust if you don't know where to look. I also seem to recall around ~10 years ago some of the wear parts in the chassis were NLA, but maybe the aftermarket has met that need now?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
5/8/16 7:58 a.m.

While visiting my B-I-L in Huntsville, AL I went past a place called The Fiero Factory which also seems to be a JY that specializes in Fiero.

Aerial view

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
5/8/16 8:33 a.m.

I know a guy with two 88 GT's he would sell. One is a race car that with a cage, suspensio etc but need the body put back together. The other was is a stalled V8 project but still has the original motor etc.

Located in Daytona.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
5/8/16 8:56 a.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

That's a lot of Fieros!! Thanks for the link.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
5/8/16 9:06 a.m.

I may sell either my 530i or 318is to pick up one to stay happily married.

In reply to Greg Voth:

If you can send me some more info, that would be awesome!

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
5/8/16 9:43 a.m.

Email sent.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/8/16 10:03 a.m.

I can not add much other than I had an early one with an iron duke and a four speed and it wanted to swap ends of you were even thinking about going around an off ramp. Add even a hint of dampness and it was one interesting ride.

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
5/8/16 10:12 a.m.

They do awesome donuts in the snow.

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
5/8/16 10:20 a.m.

Not sure on the exact model year, but I used to see one at car shows around here that had a sbc 400 swapped in. It looked like a fun time.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/8/16 10:36 a.m.

These came out when I was in high school. Love the design, not so much the engineering. To be fair the designers had to cut a lot of corners to even get the car approved. Was marketed as a two seat commuter for secretarial types at first. Then they tossed in the v6 and things started to get serious. I even designed a replacement in my college art class using a Commodore Amiga. Built a clay model too. Sorry no pics of that.

As mentioned watch for rust. This car helped pioneer the panel on chassis structure later used by the APVs and Saturn.

Still want one done my way. Supercharged v6 or small block V8. With the Indy pace car snorkel intake.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
5/8/16 10:43 a.m.

I have a fresh 4.3L Chevy in the basement. How would that work w/ say a turbo in a 5-speed GT?

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
5/8/16 11:31 a.m.
Blitzed306 wrote: Having owned a 87 iron duke and the elusive 88 v6 ws6 , I honestly couldn't tell much difference from a handle perspective with them both being stock. But I still have the giant spoiler off the 88

Seriously? I drove both, found the '88 to be pretty good, but the pre-87's just awful.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/8/16 11:36 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: While visiting my B-I-L in Huntsville, AL I went past a place called The Fiero Factory which also seems to be a JY that specializes in Fiero. Aerial view

This is an absolutely top-notch operation. One of them participated in an online forum, helped troubleshoot my problem, and sent out a speed sensor before I'd even paid for it.

By the way, the speed sensor looks like it unscrews, it doesn't. There is a screw next to it. If you try to unscrew it by applying more torque, you will need a new speed sensor.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
5/8/16 11:45 a.m.
fasted58 wrote: I have a fresh 4.3L Chevy in the basement. How would that work w/ say a turbo in a 5-speed GT?

if you are doing the 4.3, you might as well just go with a 350 since most of the swap parts will be the same..

if i had a Fiero, i'd be looking for a cheap rusted out Grand Prix GTP or Bonneville SSEi with a good running superchaged 3800 to swap into it. you can buy those things in running and driving condition for $400 or so around here..

Blitzed306
Blitzed306 HalfDork
5/8/16 11:57 a.m.
jstein77 wrote:
Blitzed306 wrote: Having owned a 87 iron duke and the elusive 88 v6 ws6 , I honestly couldn't tell much difference from a handle perspective with them both being stock. But I still have the giant spoiler off the 88
Seriously? I drove both, found the '88 to be pretty good, but the pre-87's just awful.

Now that I think about it, what happened was I had the 4 cylinder car first and while driving it enthusiastically it swapped ends on me and scared me pretty good. So when I got the 88 Formula I never pushed it

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/8/16 3:04 p.m.

I've had several, they are great cars. As for whats best, it depends what you want to do with it. A clean stock one for Sunday cruises? By the nicest '88 GT or Formula you can. Doing a motor swap?, a clean 4 banger of any year can be had cheap. General autocross and hooning about? A 85-87 V6 will do fine. The 5 speed cam along late in '86 for the V6 cars. The 4 speed holds up fine, just doesn't have as good of a gear spread or as deep of an overdrive. There are suspenion kits for the early cars to improve handling, but are expensive. Stock cars with good shocks/springs/ etc, aren't that bad, just 'different' than regular RWD stuff. Body parts are easy to find, its all plastic that holds up well. Interoir parts are another story. Most are beat and good stuff is hard too find. The preservationist in me is beginning to cringe whenever I see an '88 chopped up for a motor swap etc. The rear subframe can be made to work in earlier cars, but the front cannot.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RZOp1XUFl6glU4emBuGq7BV4GtgwjPj3E78Nk75BLQwXAUoPHdJ3Q2Dq9tJEHaQm