dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/13/16 8:58 a.m.

The PO of my '99 Miata removed most of the A/C for weight saving purposes, as he was very focused on CSP (and did well). I am much less concerned with the weight and plan on DDing the car with regularity. As such, I plan to install a new radio/speaker set up and put A/C back in.

To do so, I ordered a '99 A/C kit from Treasure Coast. I've never attempted anything like this before. Bear in mind that I might be the least mechanically inclined forum user. Knowing that, is this a project I can attempt at home? Insight and advice solicited.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/13/16 9:42 a.m.

Depends on how thoroughly it was uninstalled. If the evaporator is still under the dash, it's about as complex as a radiator and alternator swap. If it's no longer there, you'll need to pull the dash.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/13/16 9:51 a.m.

When I asked him via email, his response was:

The A/C controls are still in place but the evap and condenser coils are gone as well as the compressor and lines. The extra A/C fan was in one of the boxes that went with the car. You might be able to pickup the needed parts from someplace like Treasure Coast Miata.

I guess I'm on the hook to pull the dash. That may push it outside my comfort zone.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
4/13/16 11:06 a.m.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/547izrhd3a2k7hv/90ACINST.pdf?dl=0

Here's a PDF for an A/C install on a '90 Miata. Maybe it will help you.

Keith Tanner
4/13/16 11:58 a.m.

Pulling the dash isn't hard, it's just a pain. I've had mine out and back in over the course of an evening.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/13/16 2:33 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Depends on how thoroughly it was uninstalled. If the evaporator is still under the dash, it's about as complex as a radiator and alternator swap. If it's no longer there, you'll need to pull the dash.

The evaporator is this thingey, right?

I can say for certain that you do not need to pull the dash on a 99 to get it out. I will admit that I haven't tried to put it back in, but I don't see why it would be harder.

Keith Tanner
4/13/16 5:31 p.m.

Cool, I've never tried to just pull that part. I was extrapolating from the heater core, but of course the evaporator is over to the side more.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
opqgFal6XJZaqv3WHrFLxpLUv8OJsxdC3ZrdE992jfJGf8q5NSNeojjyJVADauRx