lesabre400
lesabre400 New Reader
4/5/14 3:47 p.m.

I'm wrist-deep in Google already but I thought I should post here as well. Looked at a 2005 Saab 9-3 Aero today. 255,000 kms, manual trans, looked to be in excellent shape, $3000 safetied.

I know these cars are more GM than Saab and use GM's Ecotec engine. Do I still have to worry about oil sludge? I popped the oil cap and couldn't see anything nasty. Any other "Saab-ishness" I should be worried about?

For the record, I plan to autocross it and maybe do the odd track day.

Thanks all.

asoduk
asoduk Reader
4/5/14 4:03 p.m.

Sludge isn't an issue. Some parts can be harder to find and/or need to come from Europe or Australia. I have had an issue with window safety limiters, but thats my only complaint so far.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/5/14 5:45 p.m.

If it is an '05 it might have the 2.8T V6 instead of the 2.0 Ecotec, I can't remember what year the Aero got the V6. This has been asked a couple times recently, see below. I think they are great little cars with a surprising aftermarket (genuinesaab.com)

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/last-generation-saab-9-3/80543/page1/

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/2010-saab-9-3-sportcombi-20t-manual-any-reason-not/75627/page1/

Jeff
Jeff SuperDork
4/5/14 7:28 p.m.

At that price with a safety, pretty hard to go wrong. I like mine a lot.

tjbell
tjbell New Reader
4/5/14 8:34 p.m.

I'd stay away from the 9-3ss great drive train horrible everything else. I own a 9-5 and it is leaps and bounds ahead of the 9-3 as far as comfort and reliability. The interior of the 9-3 is so cheap everything raddles itself apart. Dont worry though if you need a new multi function switch you need a tech2 with security access to program it. Along with anything else electric in the car it is all on GM's attempt at canbus

lesabre400
lesabre400 New Reader
4/5/14 9:58 p.m.

Perfect, thanks for all the tips and links so far. Going back with the family to take another look in the morning.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/6/14 1:13 a.m.

My neighbor has a matching set and really likes them.

Aspen
Aspen Reader
4/6/14 7:05 a.m.

The 2.0l is good, should have lots of miles left. 2005 is a great year for an aero. The 9-3 is way better looking than a 9-5 inside and out and has superior handling and far better safety. The rattles can all be tamed with a bit of tape and patience.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Q4h9ijM67Blq9Ct5hum4gBG3eO0wxc9v2q7MrfJPU2WCvg6BW5f1gJ8ewBmwhOaS