Trackmouse
Trackmouse New Reader
12/31/14 2:38 p.m.

So I'm in the process of swapping a ford 8.8 into my celica. And just thinking about suspension geometry. The shop that's doing it is reputable and does mostly 4x4 stuff. My main concern is since the axle tube of the 8.8 is larger in diameter, that means my control arms are going to be spaced further apart at the axle tube, yet still have the same mounting space to the chassis.

What effect will this have on handling? Could I adjust it by making the mounting brackets shorter? Thanks guys.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse New Reader
12/31/14 9:58 p.m.

Dafaq? No one?

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
12/31/14 10:04 p.m.

Should increase your anti-squat a bit.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse New Reader
12/31/14 10:14 p.m.

Really... Now that's cool.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/1/15 10:49 p.m.

question is unclear. i have no idea what you mean by "my control arms are going to be spaced further apart at the axle tube". i interpret "spaced apart" to mean relative to each other, but since i don't know where the mounting tabs are located on the axle tubes (top, bottom, front, rear, somewhere in between?) i have no idea how that's going to effect your geometry.

pixors are worth at least a hundred words.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
1/1/15 11:05 p.m.

I think it means that, at the axle end, there will be increased vertical separation between the upper and lower control arm pivot points with this change. Chassis side points remain unchanged.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
1/1/15 11:21 p.m.
pres589 wrote: I think it means that, at the axle end, there will be increased vertical separation between the upper and lower control arm pivot points with this change. Chassis side points remain unchanged.

Correct. The mounting tabs are located on top and bottom of the axle tubes, since the ford axle tubes are larger in diameter that would separate the mounting tabs on the axle, but not at the mounting tabs for the chassis. So my arms (will) look like this (side view) <:o

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xgDqF1QP2A6SnhBffDJ5Zaq58Qq0R8Vrp8m3s5rNyur7OUjbGVjwa7y0xcMn5LxC