1 2
Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
8/16/20 3:25 p.m.

I have to put another vote in for any and every Doc Martin shoe and boot.  I have neck, back, and foot problems and can wear Doc's steel toe Wellingtons for DAYS with no pain

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/20 3:51 p.m.

Well, I just got a pair of new sandals, so that meant my old sandals had become my shop sandals. Guess I should probably rethink that...

andy_b
andy_b New Reader
8/16/20 4:38 p.m.

I work in IT at a manufacturing facility, and have to wear steel toes on the shop floor.  I wear this daily, including my bicycle commute to work.  Light, comfortable, breathable, and easy to wear all day. 

https://www.timberland.com/shop/mens-timberland-pro-powertrain-alloy-toe-eh-work-shoes-black-a176a001

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
8/16/20 4:47 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

In our cold (-40 ) weather steel toed shoes/boots can quickly freeze your toes.  

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
8/16/20 7:03 p.m.
frenchyd said:

Since Tom lives in Florida he probably doesn't have to worry about that...wink

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
8/16/20 7:32 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Calm down there, Freiburger...

cheeky

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
8/16/20 7:50 p.m.

I just ordered some fancy shoes that should be here later this week! I'll update the thread with a link once I figure out if they're any good–don't want to give them the SEO if they're crap.

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
8/16/20 8:00 p.m.
frenchyd said:

Most every industry and people still refers to all safety toe foot wear as “steel toes.” Most folks that say they are wearing “steel toes” in the last 25 years, are actually wearing and referring to referring to some sort of composit toe footwear that is certified by OSHA/MSHA. And, like was pointed out, if FL gets -40 deg F, I’m worried. 

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
8/16/20 8:05 p.m.

The heavy industrial RedWings are great boots. My experience with other RedWing products has not been as good. 

But that’s not what Tom is asking advice about. 

I use some lightweight boots, but I need the ankle support, even when on a contract that does not require. In a low top, I hear GREAT things about the KEENS shoes. In composit, of course. They tell me well worth the cost, and easy on/off. 

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
8/16/20 8:08 p.m.
bearmtnmartin said:

Slip on's with no tread and no laces. I come and go from the house quite a bit or I will run out to the shop for a 30 minute session and I don't want to mess with laces. And a lot of steel toes have a heavy hiker tread which picks up everything and makes a mess everywhere you walk. Unless you are on a muddy job site you just need a few shallow ridges on the sole. 

Yep. Sounds like exactly what Tom is asking for advice on. I could use some also. Any suggestions, or just reinforcing what’s being asked about?

ryan_long_01
ryan_long_01 New Reader
8/16/20 10:02 p.m.

Puma makes some steel-toed safety sneakers that look pretty much like normal sneakers. I have a pair given to my by the race team I work for for setup/teardown days, but the nature of my job means I've only worn them a few times (aka I don't do a great deal of setup/teardown, haha). They are pretty heavy and clunky compared to regular sneakers, but they are easier to throw on than a pair of work boots. If you'll be more likely to wear them than big leather boots, it's probably a good investment.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/17/20 12:08 a.m.

This sort of thing. Lots of them out there. Get a leather loop that stays open so you don't have to fumble around. 

https://www.softmoc.com/ca/i/blundstone-unisex-csa-black-twin-gore-boot/163?gclid=Cj0KCQjwsuP5BRCoARIsAPtX_wH-2mJZgZ-q0jDES31cT_vcJ1eFAFI4ixAu8ROI7XwSzMv-mryaWOgaAuAwEALw_wcB

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/17/20 6:21 a.m.

Get a second pair as well, JG should really have better protection when welding.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
9/8/20 4:01 p.m.

I promised an update once I'd had some time to test these out... and the news is good!

I figured before I spent real money on anything, I'd roll the dice on no-name $40 shoes from Amazon. And so far they've been great! 

https://amzn.to/3hbJSaj

(GRM might get some money if you buy via this link).

So great, in fact, that my dad and Chris have both ordered a pair for themselves. I'm not sure how durable they'll be over time, but for $40 I won't be mad if they only last six months. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/8/20 5:25 p.m.

I've been wondering about those styles.  I just might give them a shot.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
9/8/20 6:08 p.m.

Did you get the pink ones?

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
9/8/20 6:51 p.m.

I bought some of the steel toed Doc Martens low tops.  The other day I hiked 5 miles in them, up a mountain and back.  And today I wore them in the shop.  Last month I spent 8 hours standing on them while helping out at a rallycross.  Great shoes.  I'm on my second pair, actually.  I wear the E36 M3 out of them and then keep the old ones around for car washing or something that I don't want to wear my "good" ones for. 

I love my high-top Thorogood steel toed boots, too.  My go-to for doing stuff a little more rugged, like felling a 30" Ash tree (last weekend).  The Thorogoods are USA union-made, too, if anyone cares about that anymore. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/8/20 7:29 p.m.

Strange how feet are so different.  I have a pair of Doc Martens that I love the look, but I can't wear them for more than a couple hours.  I wore them out to dinner tonight and I'm already hurting.

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
9/9/20 6:51 a.m.

Another vote here for Keen.  I have to wear safety shoes at work and have tried many different brands and models.  Keens are the best for my kind of hard floor/lots of walking/very little hard construction use.  

paranoid_android (Forum Enabler)
paranoid_android (Forum Enabler) UberDork
9/9/20 8:30 a.m.
Recon1342 said:

They're pricey, but Keen makes some lightweight composite toe safety shoes that are berkleying amazing; the low tops feel like a good hiking boot- not too heavy, breathe well, and comfy. They're also oil/chemical resistant, non-slip, and waterproof. 

Another vote for Keen.  I switched to them from Red Wings a couple years ago, and won't go back.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TSbT2W9ruCYoX8iv76xiLqxlg3hfRBJ3j8wBDM1LJW6EkTLPGr6Nf8vE8ILVZjgU