logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/16/17 5:04 p.m.

Lets say you discovered your newly acquired fiberglass bodied Jeep project had a few things like diamond plate rocker bling and a poorly made roll bar base siliconed on.  Lets also say you used window shims to separate the glue and some of the fiberglass stayed attached to the metal...... How would you go about repairing the damage?

logdog
9/16/17 5:05 p.m.

logdog
9/16/17 5:05 p.m.

logdog
9/16/17 5:07 p.m.

Sweet weld!

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
9/16/17 6:01 p.m.

I don't know what that last picture is showing, but the rest, it looks like the gelcoat is shot.  Sand it down to the fiberglass.  Add a layer of resin on it, or maybe a thin sheet of mat if you are going for some show finish.  Sand smooth.  Add bondo.  Primer.

Any breaks/tears, grind out an area maybe an inch wide, depending.  Start laying up mat in the depression, filling it up to the level of the rest.

logdog
9/16/17 6:28 p.m.

The last picture was of the awful roll bar mount the previous owner "fabricated".  It is what I was removing when I damaged the tub.  Im not sure why he did that.  I have a bone stock bar that fits the tub perfect.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/17 7:39 p.m.

you could re-gelcoat it.. or if you are planning on painting it, use an epoxy primer

Interlux epoxy barrier kote

logdog
9/19/17 3:15 p.m.

I went to a boat store and showed them my pictures.  They sold me some epoxy resin/hardener.  Now to find the time to actually fix it!

mad_machine
9/19/17 7:32 p.m.

west system or totalboat?

Both are good, but West stinks more, so don't use it in an enclosed space. ALSO, do not get it on your skin if you can avoid it. Gloves are a must and use vinegar to remove any that gets on you. Epoxy is an allergent, the more exposed you get to it, the more your body reacts to it. Using anything besides vinegar to remove it (while still not hardened) will hasten it's permeation into your body.

West also "blushes" more, so you need to clean it off before painting.

logdog
9/22/17 2:51 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine :

Its West.  The sales dude had similar warnings.  Seems much more potent than the cheapo kit we bought from walmart to make dummy headlights for the Chumpcar.

mad_machine
9/22/17 10:17 p.m.

A plus for epoxy, it takes a LONG time for it completely harden. Like weeks. If at any time you are not satisfied,  or you got it on something you shouldn't, a heatgun will soften it up enough to make it easy to remove.

I have gotten quite good at the stuff, if you were not 3+ hours away, I would offer to help.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
9/23/17 9:57 a.m.

Can't believe nobody warned about epoxy on the hootus yet.

mad_machine
9/23/17 7:44 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

that's probably the only place I haven't gotten it

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
9/24/17 5:10 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Can't believe nobody warned about epoxy on the hootus yet.

Well if you do and use lots of vinegar, you can pickle your pickle.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dDaoZPazEMw20hQCj6UGLjamlXDQGZOQJU0kivK4CRt3gPt8tPf48nWdqiMT4hdM