1 2
infinitenexus
infinitenexus Reader
3/31/20 3:10 p.m.

So my dad is entering the market soon for a full sized SUV to use as a tow vehicle. Right now it’s down to the Ford Expedition, Lincoln Navigator, or the Suburban/Yukon/Tahoe family. From what I understand the ecoboost v6 in the Ford/Lincoln is a great choice, but apparently a Tahoe with an LS V8 is within 1mpg, and I figure maintenance and repairs on the LS would be cheapest.  I think he’s leaning towards the Ford but I wanted to ask the experts here before he started shopping. 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
3/31/20 3:12 p.m.

I wouldn't tow with a boosted, overstressed V6 but that's just my personal opinion.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
3/31/20 3:18 p.m.

For me:

1) Sequoia (5.7)

2) Armada (2017+)

3) Suburban (6.2)

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
3/31/20 3:32 p.m.

What is he towing and are we talking new stuff or under $xxx.000 or what?

For SUVs, Sequioa (4.7 1st gen if going cheap, 5.7 2nd gen if buying newer) or 6.2 Suburban would be my choices. 

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
3/31/20 3:51 p.m.

I've driven but not towed with the 3.5 Expedition.

I've driven and towed with multiple Burbs and Chevy Trucks.

Suburban would be my choice for sure. GM just did something right with the way their trucks feel and tow.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
3/31/20 3:54 p.m.

I'll third or fourth or whatever the Suburban. It's the choice for a real tow vehicle that's SUV-shaped, unless you're going older and can get an Excursion. 

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Reader
3/31/20 4:12 p.m.

My typo in the title is driving me insane, can a moderator fix that please?

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/31/20 4:22 p.m.
ShawnG said:

I wouldn't tow with a boosted, overstressed V6 but that's just my personal opinion.

I've been doing it for almost a decade. I don't get why you think that the V6 is "overstressed", it's not like they just bolted a couple of turbochargers onto a Taurus engine. Our Expedition has 420 ft-lb at 2200 RPM, it's a great engine for towing.

As far as the trucks themselves, it mostly comes down to personal preference, but I did take a long, hard look at Tahoes when we got our Expedition 5 years ago. I was looking at lightly-used trucks at that time. We picked the Expedition because it can tow more, it was slightly cheaper, and it has an IRS, which not only improves the ride and handling, it gives you quite a bit more third-row and cargo space.

Here's a C&D comparison from that time: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a15108973/2015-chevrolet-tahoe-ltz-vs-2015-ford-expedition-platinum-comparison-test/

But hey, everybody keep buying Chevies. In a few years when we want to replace this Expedition with a newer one, they will be cheaper! laugh

wae
wae UltraDork
3/31/20 4:54 p.m.

They're all at least 15 years old now, but I do love towing with my Excursion.  Plus you can actually get 8 actual-size people in it as opposed to the "fun sized" third row in most of them.  Flip the seats down and 4x8 sheets go right in.

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
3/31/20 4:56 p.m.

Yukon owner here.  The 6.2 rocks!  

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/31/20 5:02 p.m.

With the IRS and no airbags/air suspension, you can see some tire wear on the Expeditions from the camber gain as the rear suspension is compressed. You should be able to mitigate this with loading everything appropriately, add airbags if they're not included, etc. On the flip side, the IRS means the third row in the Expedition is much more useable/comfortable than the equivalent GM product.

i's avoid the Displacement on Demand (DOD) o the GM products, so the 6.2 in the Denali/Escalade is a good option. The Suburban also came in a 2500 (3/4 ton) version that seems to have higher resale value, but is also better equipped for heavy loads.

How often/far is your father towing, and what is he towing?

untchabl
untchabl Reader
3/31/20 5:15 p.m.

Find a nice, low mileage older Suburban 2500 with the 8.1 engine. I really liked the one I had, comfy ride, great towing capability and with the 3rd row removed the wife and I could camp in it. Only downfall is the gas mileage, I averaged around 10mpg all the time.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
3/31/20 5:17 p.m.

Expedition owner here, 2007.  I get 16.5 mpg and it does what I need. Drove less like a truck than the suburban I drove, which I chalk up to the IRS. 

Had it almost 2 years and replaced brakes and an ignition coil.  Had a shop do the plugs, no drama. 

Tow cap is over 9k, it's way overkill for my 3k lb enclosed trailer for the f500, I barely feel it with the weight distribution hitch it came with.

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
3/31/20 6:11 p.m.

Oh hell... I was about to get a TDI Touareg with a little financing. Not a Porsche, but I like them. I made the 'mistake' of searching locally for a Sequoia or Expedition after browsing this thread. Now Mrs AAZCD says no to the T'reg and I think we are going to buy an '04 Sequoia (4.7) or an '08 Expedition for about 1/3 of what we were going to spend. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
3/31/20 6:42 p.m.

The IRS rears are very sensitive to tongue weight, but the EB engines are pretty solid. I've got a '13 F150 with one that is awesome. I test drove the 5L versions before buying used and the 3.5 just feels like a better truck engine across the board. Has the grunt where you want it and tows like a dream.

But I've always been a Ford guy...

untchabl
untchabl Reader
3/31/20 6:44 p.m.

The Sequoia seems to be a nice rig, I've only test driven a couple back when my Mom was searching for an SUV. Just couldn't find a decent one in her price range but we were in the under $6k range.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
3/31/20 6:50 p.m.

Now that the EB engines have been around for quite a while... whats the turbo service/replacement/rebuild like on those?  Do turbo seals need to be done by ~120k?  Are they easily serviced in the truck?  Expensive?

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/31/20 6:52 p.m.

What's his price range and what's the oldest he's willing to deal with? 

I'd love to replace my diesel Excursion with an EcoBoost Expedition. 

That said my Excursion is a towing beast. It's pretty primitive compared to modern gas or diesel trucks but it is really hard to kill. And yes you can fit actual people in the third row. Or remove the third row and fold the second row and put a queen size mattress to sleep on. 

But, I'd take a modern 2015+ EcoBoost or GM SUV over it any day!

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth HalfDork
3/31/20 7:33 p.m.

I've been nothing but happy with my 01 6.0 2500 suburban, and it almost got 15 mpg on the last road trip.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
3/31/20 7:52 p.m.
Apexcarver said:

Expedition owner here, 2007.  I get 16.5 mpg and it does what I need. Drove less like a truck than the suburban I drove, which I chalk up to the IRS. 

Had it almost 2 years and replaced brakes and an ignition coil.  Had a shop do the plugs, no drama. 

Tow cap is over 9k, it's way overkill for my 3k lb enclosed trailer for the f500, I barely feel it with the weight distribution hitch it came with.

Just to be clear, mine is a 5.4

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
3/31/20 8:10 p.m.
AAZCD said:

Oh hell... I was about to get a TDI Touareg with a little financing. Not a Porsche, but I like them. I made the 'mistake' of searching locally for a Sequoia or Expedition after browsing this thread. Now Mrs AAZCD says no to the T'reg and I think we are going to buy an '04 Sequoia (4.7) or an '08 Expedition for about 1/3 of what we were going to spend. 

One quick suggestion, as I'm one of the "sequoia" guys here: Look for an 05-06 rather than an 04. In 05 there were several significant upgrades: VVT-i on the engine gave an extra 40hp. A new tranmission (5-speed) replaced the old 4-speed (and is stronger), and it got a torsen center diff (whereas the 01-04 center diff is open). Plus some cosmetic upgrades (+1 larger wheels on most models, for instance). I *think* the 05-06 also got slightly larger brakes but don't recall specifically. 

The '04 will be fine as well, but the '05-06 is substantially better for minimal additional cost. 

Most sellers don't know the difference, but it's well worth it to spend a thousand more and get an '05-06 if you go with a Sequoia. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
3/31/20 8:28 p.m.
AAZCD said:

The Mrs is smart. 

if you like the 4.7, look at 05-07 100 series. We out 300k on ours before replacing it with a 200 series 

good luck 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
3/31/20 9:04 p.m.

Super unicorn status but my tow pig is a 2004 Suburban.   2500 series so it's rated to tow 10,000 lbs.  But it's party piece is the quadrasteer system, it makes a 6,500 lb monster SUV handle far more nimbly than it has any right to.

Taking it to races this year it hauled a heavy open trailer, race car, tools and spares and the 4 full grown men on the team in comfort.   It's old and gnarly but it will tow a house through a snowstorm.

ChrisLS8
ChrisLS8 Reader
4/1/20 12:28 a.m.
untchabl said:

Find a nice, low mileage older Suburban 2500 with the 8.1 engine. I really liked the one I had, comfy ride, great towing capability and with the 3rd row removed the wife and I could camp in it. Only downfall is the gas mileage, I averaged around 10mpg all the time.

My dad has a modded 8.1 3500 he uses to tow his mini excavators. Been doing it since new and still OG motor and tranny.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
4/1/20 5:35 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

Now that the EB engines have been around for quite a while... whats the turbo service/replacement/rebuild like on those?  Do turbo seals need to be done by ~120k?  Are they easily serviced in the truck?  Expensive?

I've heard of plenty of trucks with 200k and no turbo rebuilds, but you never know how good a shape it's really in at that point. Replacement turbos arent super expensive because it's such a common vehicle and there are fairly reasonable aftermarket upgraded turbos out there as well.

As for the pulling a turbo, it's not that bad. Mine developed a coolant drip on the back of the drivers side turbo due to a failed o-ring on a coolant tube. I was able to remove the turbo and replace ALL the coolant tubes and sundries in a weekend. And that's the first turbo I've ever touched. Even better, all the parts direct from the dealer were about $100. 

The turbos are right behind the front wheels. Pull them and the inner fender and you are hands on. Its tight but no worse than other stuff on modern cars.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NpPaT5kaHDzbi77SpPPgP0TPUkKrwajW8sKH53TOJIHQdz7SXHsKPQVAFmcSwLGO