TenToeTurbo
TenToeTurbo Dork
9/15/19 6:52 p.m.

Howdy folks. The rear end in my 2002 Tundra has crapped out. See pics for carnage. I have a junkyard fresh non-berkeleyed replacement diff with 3.72 gears. I would like to use my existing 4.56 ring and pinion with the guts from the new diff. I have some basic knowledge about how these diffs are set up. What would be the best approach to ensure success in this process?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/15/19 9:51 p.m.

Check YouTube as there are a lot of setup stuff there. I was in your spot a while back and ultimately just got a good used complete rear ended and swapped it instead of trying to set one up.  To me it is a job that I know I could do but I would want someone with experience looking over my shoulder the first couple times I did it. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/15/19 9:53 p.m.

Eeesh. Are you sure the ring and pinion are ok?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/15/19 10:26 p.m.

Yeah.  That much steel floating around from the case is bound the be trouble.

As far as gear setup, use the shims from the gears you are going to use as a baseline.  Pinion depth won't be an issue, because you are using the original housing.  Get the backlash and side bearing preload right, and it will work fine.

You are replacing the bearings?  Also, the axle tubes might be full of junk, so clean, clean, clean.

TenToeTurbo
TenToeTurbo Dork
9/16/19 12:02 p.m.

Thanks everyone.

In reply to dean1484 :

I wish it were that easy. Every truck I have found in the yards around me are V8/auto with much taller gearing than my V6/manual truck. I have watched a number of youtube vids and will watch more.

In reply to Robbie :

Not sure. Fingers crossed. I will get it apart for cleanup and inspection this evening. If the R&P toast, I'll buy new and go from there.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

I am only going to do bearings if I have to. The amount of debris loose in there may force that decision.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PT6JKDVYh3rAt9ZexOG47NCfFZOA946e9L7TgiQzUGBhCzEjEsxKqDP9W527vsRy