1 2
Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/24/15 9:55 a.m.

So, after initially planning to meet up yesterday afternoon, having that get rescheduled to Saturday, and then at the last minute having them be able to make it to make it, met up with the guy and his wife who want to trade for the Prius. They really liked the Prius other than saying that the engine seemed louder on it than the others they'd test drive- but also noted that those were MUCH lower mileage (and much more expensive) cars.

The Echo... definitely needs some work. With the exception of a noisy AC compressor clutch bearing (which he said had just started making so much noise within the last day or so) it's mechanically in good shape, but is in need of a good cleaning and lots of little things fixed in and about the car- but I think it has some potential.

We worked out a trade that seems to work for both of us. I'm getting a bit less in cash than I'd like, but will still make some money in the end if I can fix the Echo up on the cheap and turn around and sell it reasonably quickly. Bonus: I'll getting the Echo for well under the Challenge limit, so if I still have it and can't get the Elky to the point it would need to be, I could bring it to the Challenge itself.

We're supposed to meet up relatively early Saturday to make the trade and sign the titles (as too late last night for any place that would have a notary to be open)- after that I think I'll be driving it up to see if this one in the salvage yard up near Cinci has any of the parts it will need. Unfortunately it doesn't look like its AC compressor will be usable...

drummerfromdefleopard
drummerfromdefleopard GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/24/15 9:59 a.m.

I believe that I have some TRD springs laying around that would fit the Echo if you don't go coilover and could use them. I'll check the basement this weekend.

Ashyukun
4/27/15 8:55 a.m.

Guy with the Echo wasn't able to meet up Saturday morning, which meant that with Kentucky's notarization requirement for transferring a title that once the UPS Stores around closed, there was not going to be a way to transfer the cars legally until today- so we're supposed to meet up after work to take care of the paperwork and make the trade. Would really have liked to have been able to have the car and be working on it over the weekend, but since it will take some time to get the new title to be able to sell it anyway, it's not much lost except not having as convenient of a time at the moment to go up to the salvage yard to find parts.

One thing I did hear from the guy, he's now more convinced that it's the water pump making so much noise as opposed to the AC compressor clutch- which ironically is actually a Good Thing since replacing a water pump is something that doesn't bother me at all, but I don't have the tools necessary to deal with refrigerant and replace an AC compressor.

Ashyukun
4/28/15 10:47 a.m.

Traded the cars yesterday. Only thing I hadn't noticed (don't know how... -_-; ) is that there's a small crack (about 3-4" total) at the bottom of the passenger side of the windshield diagonally from the bottom to the passenger side A-post. It doesn't obstruct anything and looks like it can't go any further, but is a bit of an annoyance- but not enough that I think I'll bother with fixing it.

Already have it up for sale for pretty cheap- would love nothing better than to have it gone by the weekend!

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/29/15 2:09 p.m.
Ashyukun wrote:
G_Body_Man wrote:
Ashyukun wrote:
G_Body_Man wrote: I know what you need. Aftermarket? Check. Fun to drive? Check. Not likely to ruin you financially? Check.
Is it anything like this?
If you can afford the Miata, and only need two seats, go for it.
I'll be able to afford it if I sell the Prius. (OK, technically could afford it even without selling it- but prefer keeping my 'automotive toy' fund separate from normal family finances). We've already got a small SUV, my D, and (once I get off my ass and finish it, ideally for the Challenge- which is another reason I want a non-project car like that Miata for the time being...) the El Camino- another 2-seater is a bit extravagant, but we miss having a convertible with the nice Bluegrass summers (wish I'd never sold my FC convertible to be honest...).

Interested in the E30 in my avatar? 91 318ic, maybe 80k miles, good to great condition. Located in Chicagoland, but we'd probably deliver to KY if the price is right.

Ashyukun
4/29/15 2:28 p.m.
mtn wrote:
Ashyukun wrote: We've already got a small SUV, my D, and (once I get off my ass and finish it, ideally for the Challenge- which is another reason I want a non-project car like that Miata for the time being...) the El Camino- another 2-seater is a bit extravagant, but we miss having a convertible with the nice Bluegrass summers (wish I'd never sold my FC convertible to be honest...).
Interested in the E30 in my avatar? 91 318ic, maybe 80k miles, good to great condition. Located in Chicagoland, but we'd probably deliver to KY if the price is right.

I might be, but will likely need to sell the Echo first since with trading for it plus cash I'm still maxed out as far as cars go. I intend to have it gone ASAP though even if I don't make much on it- it's just far less interesting of a car IMO than the Prius, and I'd far rather be working on the Elky than the Echo. Depending on timing, we'll likely be going through Chicagoland mid-summer to visit the in-laws in WI, so we'll see what happens.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
liN0ze0PAqevmu9OpXkb9CHvKC3M3MMqZTm65vnjVWYtRsgguxzZaZ9uXhru1kL9