Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/11/20 6:27 p.m.

My super-sketchy stock car trailer at some point presumable had functioning brakes. The brake assemblies are still present, but the wires are cut off at the hub, wires removed from the trailer, and the 7-pin plug replaced with a 4-flat. I think it's safe to assume the brakes haven't worked for quite some time. 

This is what I have currently. 

Obviously the actuator has been rubbing against the inside of the drum/hub(it's single-piece assembly). And considering the wires were cut too I expect it's dead. 

So how should I go about getting functioning brakes - can/should I find parts to rebuild these? I think I've seen complete brake assemblies, should I go that route? Or would I be better off buying a whole axle assembly with the brakes attached?

FWIW the trailer is 5-on-5, which seems a little less common than 4.5. 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/11/20 6:34 p.m.

Your drums should be fine, and when i did my trailer i think i got 4 new backing plate assemblies with everything for under $120

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Reader
9/11/20 7:12 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

A lot less common. I've been looking for a good used spare wheel for months now.

WillG80
WillG80 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/11/20 7:19 p.m.

Backing plate assemblies are the most common way to replace trailer brakes. They come loaded with everything you need, including shoes and pigtails. I had a hard time finding new brake shoes for my old trailer, but finding complete backing plate assemblies are easy. 

imgon
imgon HalfDork
9/11/20 7:55 p.m.

+100 for loaded backing plates. Get a new 7 pin harness and some wire and connect everything up and you will be amazed. The answer for trailer parts is always replace, way easier and often cheaper than the individual part you really need to repair.

9/11/20 8:44 p.m.

In reply to L5wolvesf :

I just set 2 wheels(with crap tires) at the curb this evening. Where are you located?

9/11/20 8:45 p.m.

For backing plates, do I just search based on the inner drum/hub size?

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Reader
9/11/20 9:16 p.m.

In reply to L5wolvesf :

I just set 2 wheels(with crap tires) at the curb this evening. Where are you located?

Northern AZ. Not worth cost to ship. I'll likely find a couple in the big city at some point. Appreciate the thought.

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
9/12/20 9:25 a.m.

northern tool page 374

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/12/20 4:58 p.m.

Those brakes are wicked simple.  I'd wager a nickel and a half that if you reconnect the wire and hook up a 7-pin, you'll have perfectly functioning brakes.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/12/20 5:07 p.m.

For backing plates, do I just search based on the inner drum/hub size?

Yep. I just replaced the brakes on my car hauler about a month ago. I had 10" drums, which I think is pretty common. I got my brakes on Etrailer.com.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/12/20 5:22 p.m.
L5wolvesf said:

A lot less common. I've been looking for a good used spare wheel for months now.

I just thought everyone used Chevy truck wheels for 5 on 5 trailers.  

9/12/20 5:46 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

Those brakes are wicked simple.  I'd wager a nickel and a half that if you reconnect the wire and hook up a 7-pin, you'll have perfectly functioning brakes.

Too late, I ripped the berkeleyers out. Literally. 

I'm thinking the etrailer set with the automatic adjusters is the way to go, unless anyone has a reason that the manual adjuster would be better?

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/12/20 5:58 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said

I'm thinking the etrailer set with the automatic adjusters is the way to go, unless anyone has a reason that the manual adjuster would be better?

The manual ones are cheaper, but that's about it. I went with the automatic ones, too.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/12/20 6:04 p.m.

Has anyone mentioned yet that you can  buy the entire assembly easily and cheaply?devil

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Reader
9/12/20 6:55 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:
L5wolvesf said:

My 66 C10 has 6 bolts, my 74 Dodge is 5 x 4.5. Also, I thought trailer wheels are "different" vs truck/car wheels.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/12/20 7:23 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

I know i did, therefore you do, even with the correct lugnuts to take the factory chevy center caps and lug covers.  It was awesome for a while that my truck and trailer could share spares.  

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
Dave M (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/12/20 7:36 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Has anyone mentioned yet that you can  buy the entire assembly easily and cheaply?devil

This. Etrailer has great customer service and will price match. Easy button.

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
9/13/20 2:39 a.m.
Stampie (FS) said:
L5wolvesf said:

Stampie beat me to it. I bought a nice 5 x 10 trailer while working in mobile. Borrowed a brand new spare from my dad in VA: had a flat on the trailer in DOWNTOWN Springfield Mass. Found a sidewalk wide enough to pull the van and trailer up on. Took flat off, and was shocked to find out a "normal" ford 4.5 rim didn't fit. Bad scene.

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
9/13/20 2:45 a.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

I saw picture, and was thinkin'... that don't look bad at all! But I've dealt with some real junk over the years!

Peter, if there is an Agri Supply near you, they are the best to deal with. You can get loaded backing plates (easy button) or buy individual parts, cheaper than anywhere else I've been.

That amount of wear on the magnet rubbing is completely normal. The hardware, though prolly ok, could use a bit of help

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
9/13/20 2:49 a.m.
L5wolvesf said:
Stampie (FS) said:
L5wolvesf said:

My 66 C10 has 6 bolts, my 74 Dodge is 5 x 4.5. Also, I thought trailer wheels are "different" vs truck/car wheels.

Only difference is load ratings. Big chebby pattern truck and car rims are not rated as high as trailer specific rims. Doubt there is much difference in strength, but  prolly a little. Specified load rating can be a lot different.

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
9/13/20 2:51 a.m.
Dave M (Forum Supporter) said:
Streetwiseguy said:

This. Etrailer has great customer service and will price match. Easy button.

I think I paid $12.95 to replace a magnet, instead of entire assembly. Little more labor, but... did I mention I've always been cheap?

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/13/20 7:00 a.m.
03Panther said:
L5wolvesf said:
Stampie (FS) said:
L5wolvesf said:

Only difference is load ratings. Big chebby pattern truck and car rims are not rated as high as trailer specific rims. Doubt there is much difference in strength, but  prolly a little. Specified load rating can be a lot different.

Yup, this.  It's usually not a huge deal.  The four wheels on a vehicle are designed to take 6000 lb gvws and 4000 lb-ft of torsional force.  The four wheels on a trailer are designed to take 10,000 gvw and 400 lb-ft of torsional force.  (using very arbitrary numbers)

I have seen 5-lug trailer patterns in all three of the commons sizes; 4.5, 4.75, and 5", but most commonly i have seen 4.5" on non-brake trailers and 5" on drum brake trailers.

I put some truck wagon wheels on my boat trailer, but it is only carrying about 3500 lbs and doesn't have brakes.  Just be aware of your GVWR and the wheels' weight capacity and you'll be golden.  Also, it's one of the few non-brake trailers I've seen with 5x5"

9/13/20 1:18 p.m.

I had a bit of an epiphany while working on the trailer this morning. The 5x5 bolt pattern makes perfect sense for this trailer since it's intended purpose was hauling stock cars, which are based on Chevy chassis. 

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
9/14/20 11:44 p.m.

The 5 x 10 I bought  is actually the only trailer I've had my hands on that had the 5 on 5" inch pattern. It is also a no brake single axle. I've had many with the 4 lug, many with the 4.5, a lot with the 6 lug and a few with 8 lug. Some had brakes, some did not. As I think about it, all with brakes were 6 or 8 lug, that I've had, or worked on. Except a odd ball tandem 4 lug with tiny 9" brakes on one axle only, that I helped my dad build.

Oh, and a early 70's camper that had the odd wide 5, and a couple of open rim (same as mobile home) equipment trailers. One was home made, so prolly was a mobile home axle, but one was a factory built Holmes. Very heavy ply 8-14.5 tires.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EwmWf0FXvkooca4mpTVDwV9mp6EyqjQCsoTDRmifERKPuK11QdpPxmbvMhXStT6Z