Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
5/25/22 5:46 p.m.

I've been renting transponders as I only do 2-3 vintage races per year.

This past weekend I had to share one and damn near ended up not having one.

I'm leaning towards the rechargeable one. Seeing as I have to charge up several other things before the race weekend it doesn't seem like a big deal. Price is a factor in the decision.

On price the lifetime is $600; as I don't appear to be giving up racking this seems wiser than buying a 1,2 or 5 year subscription.

The final deal is I assume I can move the transponder between my two race cars (I don't run them at the same time).

Any feedback would be appreciated.

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/25/22 6:18 p.m.

I use the cheap baofeng radios. They have the same frequency, are more versatile and better made imo.

Matthew Kennedy
Matthew Kennedy GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/25/22 7:52 p.m.

In reply to bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) :

he means a transponder that gets read by the timing loop in the track, used for official lap timing, not a radio for comms

imgon
imgon HalfDork
5/25/22 7:53 p.m.

I bought a used AMB TransX 260 unit years ago, have you thought of going that route? As long as your groups use that style you are in for less than the subscription. Try Ebay and racing forums, get one transponder and a couple of holders and move at will.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/25/22 8:34 p.m.

I got a used one for 200$ and then had the battery replaced by a guy in Texas for $100.  Works great!

Yes, you can easily swap it between cars.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/25/22 9:12 p.m.

I only have one race car, so I hard-wired the transponder.  I've got enough to remember at the track as it is, I really don't want to have to worry about whether or not the transponder is charged.

You can't get lifetime transponders new any more.  The used ones go for as much as a 5-year subscription and they're all very old at this point.  From what I have been told, it's not unusual for a used one to break in less than that 5 year time frame.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
5/25/22 9:29 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

I'm seeing ads for the lifetime subscriptions?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/26/22 10:01 a.m.

I'm really bothered by the "subscription" and/or "transfer" fees attached to transponders these days, which as a person who has run timing, I can tell you is a gratuitous profiteering practice. A transponder is basically just an overgrown office swipe badge or NFC tag, all it needs to do is transmit its ID number to the timing equipment and 3rd parties need not be involved - unless you want to use a cloud timing system that few people care about and even fewer people would say are worth paying for.

The AMB TranX 260, the last model that AMB made before they started with this monopolistic John Deere E36 M3, is now going for $500+, and apparently AMB updates their timing systems to break compatibility with any compatible non-AMB transponders - often taking out their own older models in the process. Makes me want to build a reflashable open source transponder just to stick it to them.

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones Dork
5/26/22 10:18 a.m.

I sold the last AMB 260s I had for ~$700 each - I just could not pass it up, thats almost a set of tires.  I do use a rechargeable one now, as they are only $350-ish on the open market.  I did have the guy in texas replace the battery (less than $100).  Its good for a whole weekend (when charged it flashes the number of days it can last).

I have "heard" that you can use the RC car transponder (160?) for a lot less money - however it supposed to be limited to 100MPH across the sensor.  Again, I have heard this but have not seen anyone use it.

I'm always on the lookout for the deals on 260's - Sometimes I see them pop up for $500 or so.  But regardless, its a total racket and I hate it.  There is no F'n way these are worth that much - For $700 I would expect the transponder to have yellow flag warnings and updated timing to racers around me (gaps).

dps214
dps214 Dork
5/26/22 10:43 a.m.
Tom1200 said:

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

I'm seeing ads for the lifetime subscriptions?

They did away with it for a while but enough people complained that they brought it back on the wireless model only.

spedracer
spedracer New Reader
5/26/22 4:45 p.m.

I wish I knew more about the hardware side of things, I'd love an open source version. However, given that the units have a subscription I'd bet the timing computer does or could just filter out "non approved" models.

IMO there's nothing to really learn. You're stuck with MyLaps at most orgs. You can buy an old one but the price is often about the same as the "lifetime subscription" ones, and MyLaps could forcibly break the old ones whenever they want to since they also put out the timing software. I ended up with a wireless one, regretted it for a year, and am now happy since I bought a track bike and only needed to buy an extra mount.

Not sure about the lifetime ones, but for the others the warranty lasts as long as the subscription is active, so it doesn't matter if they break - assuming they are decent at honoring the warranty.

Its all a farce but until there are other options, and they get adopted by the racing orgs, we are all stuck.

GameboyRMH
5/26/22 4:51 p.m.
spedracer said:

I wish I knew more about the hardware side of things, I'd love an open source version. However, given that the units have a subscription I'd bet the timing computer does or could just filter out "non approved" models.

My understanding is that because the transponders are so simple, it's not just a matter of filtering out models by model code or serial number etc, because they don't even transmit that information. They filter them out through minor differences in the radio communication protocols they use, which is why their own older models become collateral damage when they try to block out other manufacturers.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/26/22 5:53 p.m.

You can move rechargeable transponders between cars.  I have two of the original AMB branded ones.  They've both had their batteries replaced and work fine.  Unlike the wired units, you do have to remember to take them off the charger, bring them to the track and put them on the car.   I've got the charges in the trailer now so they're always charged and at the track but I still struggle with remembering to put them in the car.  I almost never get times from the first practice session of a weekend.

wvumtnbkr
5/26/22 6:11 p.m.
Kendall_Jones said:

I sold the last AMB 260s I had for ~$700 each - I just could not pass it up, thats almost a set of tires.  I do use a rechargeable one now, as they are only $350-ish on the open market.  I did have the guy in texas replace the battery (less than $100).  Its good for a whole weekend (when charged it flashes the number of days it can last).

I have "heard" that you can use the RC car transponder (160?) for a lot less money - however it supposed to be limited to 100MPH across the sensor.  Again, I have heard this but have not seen anyone use it.

I'm always on the lookout for the deals on 260's - Sometimes I see them pop up for $500 or so.  But regardless, its a total racket and I hate it.  There is no F'n way these are worth that much - For $700 I would expect the transponder to have yellow flag warnings and updated timing to racers around me (gaps).

I use the tranX 160 in my racecar.  Never had an issue.  I believe they are for karts actually.  They are yellow.  It's been used for 10 years at this point.  Battery was replaced 3 years ago.  Still goes 4 days.

wvumtnbkr
5/26/22 6:12 p.m.
APEowner said:

You can move rechargeable transponders between cars.  I have two of the original AMB branded ones.  They've both had their batteries replaced and work fine.  Unlike the wired units, you do have to remember to take them off the charger, bring them to the track and put them on the car.   I've got the charges in the trailer now so they're always charged and at the track but I still struggle with remembering to put them in the car.  I almost never get times from the first practice session of a weekend.

When you put it on the charger, put it and the charger in the driver seat.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
5/27/22 7:10 a.m.

I have a hard wired AMB unit sitting in my garage. I only used it for about 3 seasons. I'll probably never use it again. If anyone is interested, PM me. 

GameboyRMH
5/27/22 1:02 p.m.
APEowner said:

Just be aware that for timing, sharing transponders within the same "event" is a PITA, so try to avoid this. Within the timing software an "event" generally encompasses a race day or a race weekend, regardless of which class you're in, and when people share transponders the ID has to be reassigned manually between races.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/27/22 4:17 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:
APEowner said:

Just be aware that for timing, sharing transponders within the same "event" is a PITA, so try to avoid this. Within the timing software an "event" generally encompasses a race day or a race weekend, regardless of which class you're in, and when people share transponders the ID has to be reassigned manually between races.

What I do and what I think Tom was asking about was use the same transponder on different cars at different events.  It would be, as you pointed out, a pain for timing and scoring to swap it between cars at the same event.  Thanks for bringing that up.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
5/27/22 4:23 p.m.

In reply to APEowner :

Correct I only bring one car to the track.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/27/22 5:04 p.m.

The hardwired ones have a connector on them, so you can swap them between cars as well as long as you've pre-wired both cars.

The rechargeable one have an advantage if you don't know what car they're going to go on (like if you're renting out transponders), but other than that I don't see why I'd want one.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9USnsmcH66t07SoJYlnyzsD6yLVGMndlejYcsrlmzxTPe8jfqGgYxcJmMNmfr93E