internetautomart
internetautomart SuperDork
4/21/11 7:29 p.m.

for a song I picked up a 99 blazer 2wd that was running like crap.
did you know they only weigh 3500 lbs?
Got it running right-ish already.
I've got it up for sale right now, but part of me says to lower it. Stick wider rubber on it and swap in a V8. From what I can gather all I need are mounts and headers if I want to swap in a carbed motor.
thing is, I want EFI. Does anyone know if the computer can be kept to run the V8 other than flashing a new program on it? can I swap the V8 engine subharness with the V6 one at the connector?

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/21/11 7:40 p.m.

In reply to internetautomart:

i was reading about doing a vortec 4.3 astro and swapping in a vortec 350. lots of guys on the astro forum just add the extra pins and wires for the 2 additional injectors to the factory harness and pcm connectors and just pick up a same year pcm from a 350 vortec truck. the rest is literally plug and play. i dont see why you could not have your pcm programmed with a 350 vortec truck program.

i went carbed in my vortec astro just because i had carb drivetrain ready to go in, but i would rather have done a complete vortec 350 changeover.

internetautomart
4/21/11 7:45 p.m.

very interesting...
I am SO torn right now about selling this versus keeping it. a V8 S10 would so scratch my RWD itch that has been irritating me since I sold the S13.

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks HalfDork
4/21/11 7:58 p.m.

do it

Ranger50
Ranger50 HalfDork
4/21/11 8:06 p.m.

I am sure Speartech makes a harness in the flavor you desire.

internetautomart
4/21/11 8:19 p.m.

I like the idea of running 2 wires better
ECU is the same for V8 and V6 vortec. (just verified it) programming is different as we already knew.
If I run into a $500 v8 vortec truck it will definately be done.
Maybe I can swap a vortec intake setup onto an old school SBC, I already have the old school....

I didn't see speartech showing an adapter harness on their site.

BoneYard_Racing
BoneYard_Racing Reader
4/21/11 9:31 p.m.

For Vortec swap just add jumpers for cyl 7 and 8 its batch fire anyway and use V8 pcm. Vortecs came in any flavor from 4.8 to 8.1 and they share exterior dimensions for the most part (8.1 is a big block)

LS serries are quite a bit different

novaderrik
novaderrik HalfDork
4/21/11 9:44 p.m.
BoneYard_Racing wrote: For Vortec swap just add jumpers for cyl 7 and 8 its batch fire anyway and use V8 pcm. Vortecs came in any flavor from 4.8 to 8.1 and they share exterior dimensions for the most part (8.1 is a big block) LS serries are quite a bit different

the "vortec" that he will want to use was used from 96-99 in pickups and up to around '02 in bigger trucks and vans and came as either a 305 (5 liter) or 350 (5.7 liter).

internetautomart
4/21/11 9:49 p.m.
novaderrik wrote:
BoneYard_Racing wrote: For Vortec swap just add jumpers for cyl 7 and 8 its batch fire anyway and use V8 pcm. Vortecs came in any flavor from 4.8 to 8.1 and they share exterior dimensions for the most part (8.1 is a big block) LS serries are quite a bit different
the "vortec" that he will want to use was used from 96-99 in pickups and up to around '02 in bigger trucks and vans and came as either a 305 (5 liter) or 350 (5.7 liter).

yeah, that vortec. not the LS variants.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4yCEZBXRfdZusMAmSWOIKxB2pcsfFIufIg9jobEjDp0teKr723qiFtC6vknZcYkn