Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/12/19 11:37 a.m.

So the new-to-me Cadillac has a vinyl roof on it, and it's showing some signs of distress. The vinyl is in good shape, with no rips or tears anywhere. But there's some rust underneath and it's bleeding through.

I know the best solution is to peel that cover off, fix the roof and either recover it or paint it body color.

But in the meantime, what are my options? Dye? Paint?

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/12/19 11:48 a.m.

I know from experience that unholy terrors lurk underneath that vinyl.

I wonder if Plasti Dip paint would work?

NickD
NickD PowerDork
12/12/19 11:50 a.m.

Ugh, nothing to offer help-wise, but that is the double-edge sword that is vinyl roofs. They look great on some cars ('68-'69 Chargers, GM A-bodies, these big Cads) but they frequently hide horror shows.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
12/12/19 11:52 a.m.

Please remove it as soon as you can. I saw many accidental convertables  when I lived in Florida that were at least 30 years younger than your car. The stain several inches up worries me the most. The vinyl works like a battery plate seperator between the trim and the steel. The trim loves to receive from the bodyangry I see moisture on the car in this photo, so the electrolite is present too.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
12/12/19 12:20 p.m.

Hack off roof, make it a convertible. Or a roadster. Or a Phaeton. Or a removable-hardtop shooting brake. devil wink

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/12/19 12:24 p.m.

"Some" rust. lol

Keith Tanner
12/12/19 12:40 p.m.

I know that the best option is to remove it and sort out the roof.  I'm looking for something I can do in the meantime before I get to that, because my goal is not to immediately tear this car apart and then deal with a repaint.

This car will not be seeing any more moisture and lives in a desert climate. That photo was taken after it spent the night outside on the trailer after I bought it home. I'm pretty confident that it will not progress any further anytime soon.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/12/19 12:50 p.m.

SEM vinyl dye.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/12/19 1:31 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Look at the trim on your green 66. I know some Cadillacs without vinyl top had different trim. Might want to save that in case you go no vinyl top later on. 

Keith Tanner
12/12/19 1:54 p.m.

There's no trim, actually.

Removing the trim on the blue car, patching the holes and dealing with rust would mean a repaint, and that's not where I want to go right now. 

Keith Tanner
12/12/19 1:54 p.m.
Javelin said:

SEM vinyl dye.

Thank you. 

cdowd
cdowd Dork
12/12/19 2:03 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Javelin said:

SEM vinyl dye.

Thank you. 

This is the correct answer.  I painted the rear non matching seat in my 47 Willy’s and it has held up great and you would never know I did it.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/12/19 9:11 p.m.
cdowd said:
Keith Tanner said:
Javelin said:

SEM vinyl dye.

Thank you. 

This is the correct answer.  I painted the rear non matching seat in my 47 Willy’s and it has held up great and you would never know I did it.

Will this hold up to UV exposure?  I've used it with success on 80s Japanese interior bits, but nothing that was exterior..

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jYm3g9rD1KTOWWNkmo3uLYZrETxVlZe16btiUSm1SY21n59NZuBNvbF8wabGzJ6O