dankspeed HalfDork
4/13/18 1:48 p.m.

In reply to AaronBalto :

Thanks Aaron!

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
4/13/18 2:12 p.m.
AaronBalto said:

My brother still owns the old GRM Project 122. It's a little older and a little rougher at this point, but it's still pretty cool. He is to the point where he either has to paint it and freshen it, or it's time to sell. 

When I bought that car back in 2002 or so, I was following along with the build in the magazine and dreaming of doing one of my own. And then Per went really, really far off the deep end. He had the distributor blueprinted. He put a p1800 rear end in it. And because the 1800 had five lug hubs, had had to swap 1800 front uprights onto the car as well. Etc. Etc. Etc. It got totally out of hand. 

Anyhow, we've had the thing for a long time. Happy to answer any questions I can, or even pass on reasonable offers.

Aaron

Has it really been that long ago?  That was a good looking car.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
4/13/18 3:13 p.m.

Since we are speaking of the GRM 122 is there a link to the ink regarding that project? Not one that I recall reading about.

Pete

dankspeed
dankspeed HalfDork
4/13/18 3:55 p.m.

Came close to making a deal but sadly didn't. I came up with a mental line on price  I did not want to go over and the seller would not meet me there. It's a shame I was really looking forward to owning one.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
4/13/18 4:16 p.m.
Kreb said:
Datsun310Guy said:

Ten years ago I had to train a bunch of HVACR guys in Berkeley, CA and in my spare time I drove around the city and took pictures of all the old cars parked on the streets.  Probably a couple of dozen of these along with a ton of Saab's and BMW 2002's.  Coming from the rust belt I was impressed.    

Out of curiosity, who were you training? I run a metal fabrication and HVAC shop in Berkeley.

Hydronic pump reps customers- either the Taco, B&G, or Armstrong pump rep.  Hydronic something in the name?

I sold pump connectors and expansion joints.  Flexible pipe loops and pipe guides.  

Can’t remember the rep that hosted it - great trip though!

Indy-Barely Functional-Guy
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy SuperDork
4/13/18 9:57 p.m.

In reply to dankspeed :

Bummer. Care to share a link to the ad... You know, for research sake wink

dankspeed
dankspeed HalfDork
4/14/18 3:50 a.m.
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy said:

In reply to dankspeed :

Bummer. Care to share a link to the ad... You know, for research sake wink

Absolutely.The seller said he had a guy four hours away coming to "look at it". I think that's why he wouldn't take my offer. Probably figures that guy will pay his asking price since he's driving that far. 

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/d/1963-volvo-122s-amazon/6557861698.html

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
4/14/18 6:14 a.m.

Was the body rust free? Cause if it was, it was worth the asking price. Despite the color scheme.

Pete

dankspeed
dankspeed HalfDork
4/14/18 6:55 a.m.
NOHOME said:

Was the body rust free? Cause if it was, it was worth the asking price. Despite the color scheme.

Pete

Had a home made patch panel on the driver side front floor. Had a big patch of surface rust on the roof where the paint had peeled. Some little bubbles of rust on the fenders. Nothing crazy but some. Im not saying it's not worth his asking price just not what I wanted to or had to spend. 

AaronBalto
AaronBalto Reader
4/17/18 1:02 p.m.

If I'm going through the work to build one of these, it's going to have to be a wagon or a coupe. Life is too short to pour a lot of hours into a SEE-dan.

dankspeed
dankspeed HalfDork
4/17/18 5:10 p.m.
AaronBalto said:

If I'm going through the work to build one of these, it's going to have to be a wagon or a coupe. Life is too short to pour a lot of hours into a SEE-dan.

Always been a four door guy. Give me four over two any day.

dankspeed
dankspeed HalfDork
4/19/18 10:36 a.m.

Contacted the seller after the weekend and he still had the car. Hoping we can come to an agreement on price. He had some new interest in the car and others flake on him so we'll see. Should hear from him soon. By Monday at the lastest. 

dankspeed
dankspeed HalfDork
4/23/18 4:42 p.m.

Seller and I were able to agree on a new price. Lucky for me he didn't find a buyer who would better my offer. Bringing it home tonight. Super excited!!

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
4/23/18 5:17 p.m.

I like that !

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
4/23/18 8:56 p.m.

Looks good! 

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
4/23/18 8:58 p.m.

Very cool!!!

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/24/18 9:08 a.m.

Nice! That will clean up well. If you need a transmission let me know. I've got 3-4 of them laying around.

dankspeed
dankspeed HalfDork
4/24/18 10:44 a.m.
hobiercr said:

Nice! That will clean up well. If you need a transmission let me know. I've got 3-4 of them laying around.

I just might take you up on that. Where are you located?

hobiercr
4/24/18 12:44 p.m.

Near Tampa FL. I can get one to the Challenge in October easily.

dankspeed
dankspeed HalfDork
4/24/18 2:16 p.m.

In reply to hobiercr :

Won't be at the challenge. Any chance you're going to the Mitty?

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
4/24/18 3:16 p.m.

FWIW, I am a bit jealous

hobiercr
4/24/18 4:11 p.m.

In reply to dankspeed :

Unfortunately, no. I really wanted to see the Datsuns in action. Love me some Dimes!

Figure out what you are dealing with first. You may not even need one. Mine aren't going anywhere and I would want to go through one anyway to make sure it is better than what you have now.

dankspeed
dankspeed HalfDork
4/25/18 5:50 a.m.
hobiercr said:

In reply to dankspeed :

Unfortunately, no. I really wanted to see the Datsuns in action. Love me some Dimes!

Figure out what you are dealing with first. You may not even need one. Mine aren't going anywhere and I would want to go through one anyway to make sure it is better than what you have now

That's the plan. Seller made it clear he did not work on cars and want too knowledgeable of this car. Hoping it's nothing too serious. Never a bad idea to have some spares around though. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/25/18 6:50 a.m.

Very cool.  NOHOME has gone over most of the comments I'd say.  As he hinted, these are some of the best classic cars for daily driver duty. They are really nice driving cars in stock form.

Does the car have Overdrive?  That would be a M41 transmission. The 122 had it as an option, but it's also common for them to have the M40 4 spd without overdrive.  If it has O/D, the M41 would have a D-type O/D (vs. the J-Type the later cars like NOHOME's and my 1800ES came with).  FWIW, all but the very earliest 1800's came with the O/D as standard. 

The engine should be 1.8L B18 with dual SU carbs.  Engine swaps are common as well as boring out to B20 specs, if the block can take it. While Volvo used great iron for these engines, the castings were sometimes a bit off from the bore-centers.  

Although 1800 parts are a bit more common/popular, there are quite a few classic Volvo parts vendors.  The mechanical bits are pretty much the same, but I would call first.  If there's one caveat about owning an old Volvo, it's you'll need to step back in time once in awhile and actually deal with the vendors by phone.  You can usually use websites to search for stuff and get an idea about pricing, but with a lot of these guys, direct contact will get you the best results.  To give you an idea of what I mean, the Yahoo 1800list group is still arguably the best source for 1800 (and by default, also 122) info.

I use irollmotors.com for most stuff, but there are many others. CVI auto in Sweden is what used to be Volvo's "classic parts" division, split off when Ford sold Volvo. 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
4/25/18 7:04 a.m.

I currently own about a dozen of these, and I've parted out another dozen.  Any miniscule trim clip or doo-dad you need, I'm likely to have.  I also have several gearboxes and engines, rear ends, etc.  My sheet metal supply is a bit thin at the moment- rust free OE metal is getting harder to find- but the aftermarket repro's are pretty good.  

Yes, that's me, in my avatar, rallycrossing one of mine.

BTW- the 2 door and 4 door sedan models of these share the same roofline.  There's almost no difference between them, other than the number of doors.  IIRC the 4 door is only 50 or so pounds heavier than the 2 door.  

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GAu6oFVY1W5faI8AdMgghZMCulnbVrPBAqFNg6qV7YzayUITCdmvr90WE95Ul8hI