1 2 3 4
914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/31/21 8:55 a.m.

No, no, I'm not a canoe.  I've been looking to replace the 914 with something more sedan-ish (that seat gets closer to the ground every summer) and I keep going back to the Amazons.  Researching engine specs etc, this old thread popped up; good info guys.  There's a 911 in my garage that I may end up the next custodian of, but it's nor me.  If chosen I will probably flip it.  I also like the Mercedes W-180 but not as much as the 122s.  Will any other transmissions bolt up to the B-18 block?

paddygarcia
paddygarcia GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/31/21 9:30 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

If the M40 isn't enough gears the M41 overdrive is a direct swap. 

T-5 and T-9 are the easyish non-Volvo options. These and other modern options would require a 140/240 trans hump (still available from Volvo AFAIK).

What's the goal for a different trans?

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
12/31/21 9:38 a.m.

T9s are a bit thin on the ground over here, but T5s are a pretty well-documented swap. I'm not 100 pct sure, but an automatic car would have a larger trans hump that might fit the larger transmission. 

I wasn't a huge fan of the electric OD's until I bought a 66 Jag with one. I'd just become accustomed to the engine singing along at 4000 rpm on the highway. But with the overdrive engaged, the big 6 in the jag just bubbles happily.  Different cars, different engines, different purposes.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/31/21 3:12 p.m.

Won't be doing big highway trips with it, at least not enough to do damage.  Automatic vs happy at highway?  Sorry, gotta be a stick.

I've seen a Ranger V-6 auto in a 544, but that strikes me as nose heavy.  Call me old or a dumbass but an automatic is like cream in your coffee or condoms, gets the job done but just takes all the joy out of it!

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/31/21 3:40 p.m.

Call me a philistine, but a Ford Ranger-spec Duratec 2.3 with the 5 speed should be wonderful in that car. Lighter, inexpensive and more powerful.

paddygarcia
paddygarcia GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/31/21 3:53 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

I see - the car in the link is a 4 speed but you're asking drives haft. The BW35 auto does suck all the fun out.

M40 and associated clutch and driveshaft is a bolt-in to an auto car. M41 same but should be able to use the auto driveshaft.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
1/1/22 12:26 a.m.

My point was that an automatic 122 would have a larger trans hump, so swapping to an OD stick shift might be easier. The pedal cluster is an easy swap.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
c43XK6OrcQ4fnCdEPjyIZcdIS2UdQW5vupegjMRz1xkXr1gMtrmh9PAml86ezjfL