1 2
Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
7/17/16 12:29 a.m.

Bought some on a whim thinking it was like other waxes but better because I've heard it mentioned by high end car guys. Did more research and it appears it is not quite a wax? Is this one of those gimmicks? Or do I need special pro-tools to use this right?

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
7/17/16 12:43 a.m.

Just read up on what I purchased on a NSX forum, turns out the Shiite I bought is the blue bottle turtle wax garbage. I'll be returning it.

So I guess: "learn me: good quality, easy to use, not retarded expensive, and available at autobone, waxes"

In the past I've just used meguiar's NXT synwax. Seems to work well, but I really feel something better is out there.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
7/17/16 7:30 a.m.

My chemist friend who works at TW tells me the Zymol was a purchase only and they changed nothing to the product.

Nick (picaso) Comstock
Nick (picaso) Comstock UltimaDork
7/17/16 9:27 a.m.

I would use the Zymol. You already bought it. Try the bottle and if you don't like how it works try something else next time. Personal experience trumps internet know it alls every single time.

People get almost a stupid over waxes as they do which oil to use. I know a lot of people that swear by regular old Turtle Wax over anything else.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/17/16 10:00 a.m.

What is wrong with turtle wax? I have been using it for years.

One thing about any wax is figuring out how to use it. Read the directions!!!

One other thing in general I have learned is more is not better. More just means more work.

The other thing I have found is that multi use product's are like all season tires. They don't do anything really well.

I tend to use any name brand wax. I really can not tell the different.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
7/17/16 10:14 a.m.

So the zymol blue snot is a "heavy duty cleaner polish" this means it's different than wax? So do I need an buffer? I've never worked with anything beyond regular crap.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/17/16 10:21 a.m.
Trackmouse wrote: So the zymol blue snot is a "heavy duty cleaner polish" this means it's different than wax? So do I need an buffer? I've never worked with anything beyond regular crap.

I've used it as a wax applied by hand, worked fine enough for me.

johndej
johndej Reader
7/17/16 10:40 a.m.

I've used the mother's cleaner wax to good results. My miatas hood turns back to pink after about a month regardless of which wax I've put on it.

Enyar
Enyar Dork
7/17/16 10:45 a.m.

Zymol was my favorite when I was a kid. Smells delicious. Does it say cleaner polish or cleaner wax? If it says polish I would guess it's more aggressive and needs to be followed up with wax.

Now I use Collinite.

Nick (picaso) Comstock
7/17/16 11:19 a.m.

Yes, a cleaner polish is designed to remove very fine contaminates/swirl marks. It is used to bring out that shine and should be followed up with a good wax.

The wax is designed to apply an ablative layer on top of the actual paint. You bring out the shine with the polish, then keep it around as long as possible with the wax.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
7/17/16 11:28 a.m.

wax protects... polish makes it pop

as far as wax.... carnauba is tough to beat...

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
7/17/16 11:34 a.m.

Ever been a Zymol fan. I use 3m and carnuba when I can.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
7/17/16 12:13 p.m.

I'm a mother's California gold paste man myself, but I am experimenting with Mcguire 365 on the hood of the daily. 2 weeks so far, and still beading just like mothers.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/17/16 3:35 p.m.

I've used more different waxes than I'd care to admit. I think I still have some Zaino left over from like 10 years ago. These days I mostly just use Meguiars Ultimate liquid, applied with my Porter Cable buffer. Though I did use Menzerna Power Lock on the Expedition, since it's supposed to be a long-lasting sealant, and I'm not waxing that giant thing more than once a year.

slowride
slowride HalfDork
7/17/16 5:27 p.m.

I will recommend Duragloss "Total Performance Polish"/105. If you put it on with the polish bonding agent/601, it will last a long long time (a year+ for me). Not sure about store availability though. I got mine at Autogeek.com

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/18/16 11:23 a.m.

We have done detail/wax stories in Classic Motorsports. Soon we'll be publishing quick-detailer comparison. (Spoiler alert: They're not all the same.)

So, a related question: Does the GRM world want to read something about waxes and polishes? We have access to one of the top detailers in the world. Those cars that you see at Pebble Beach and Amelia Island? He details them. Personally, I find the whole thing fascinating.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
7/18/16 11:30 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: We have done detail/wax stories in Classic Motorsports. Soon we'll be publishing quick-detailer comparison. (Spoiler alert: They're not all the same.) So, a related question: Does the GRM world want to read something about waxes and polishes? We have access to one of the top detailers in the world. Those cars that you see at Pebble Beach and Amelia Island? He details them. Personally, I find the whole thing fascinating.

Yes please

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
7/18/16 11:54 a.m.

Agreed. Would love to read it.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
7/18/16 12:07 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: We have done detail/wax stories in Classic Motorsports. Soon we'll be publishing quick-detailer comparison. (Spoiler alert: They're not all the same.) So, a related question: Does the GRM world want to read something about waxes and polishes? We have access to one of the top detailers in the world. Those cars that you see at Pebble Beach and Amelia Island? He details them. Personally, I find the whole thing fascinating.

The Hoff
The Hoff UltraDork
7/18/16 12:14 p.m.

I'm a fan of Meguir's myself. If I want good results I don't bother with cleaner waxes or all in one stuff.

Claybar, paint cleaner, polish, then a carnuba wax is what will give you the ultimate shine and protection. I don't think brand matters that much either.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/18/16 12:24 p.m.

I do, too. Also, yes.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/18/16 12:34 p.m.

So, to add a data point, I have not washed any of my cars in multiple years.

So... uhhh.. Sorry.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
7/18/16 4:44 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: So, to add a data point, I have not washed any of my cars in multiple years. So... uhhh.. Sorry.

This^

Stopped washing and or waxing cars about two cars ago. Turns out that the cost to do so over ten years is about the same as a down payment on the next car. Plus I get many many hours of my life back.

And I don't have to worry about swirls in the paint

AND I am saving the planet. Yeah...that's the important one to me.

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi Reader
7/18/16 5:27 p.m.

Chemical Guys on Amazon. Currently using the butter wet wax and the hybrid spray wax after washes between waxes. And its affordable!

Nick (picaso) Comstock
7/18/16 5:31 p.m.
NOHOME wrote:
tuna55 wrote: So, to add a data point, I have not washed any of my cars in multiple years. So... uhhh.. Sorry.
This^ Stopped washing and or waxing cars about two cars ago. Turns out that the cost to do so over ten years is about the same as a down payment on the next car. Plus I get many many hours of my life back. And I don't have to worry about swirls in the paint AND I am saving the planet. Yeah...that's the important one to me.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vc0qzGjjdizwy2v1kSw53lsE7YMTZd9Q8JtOaYPhTdvSrdrle8mKAZ6VMw9yio3d