gtphreak1
gtphreak1
2/15/11 8:02 p.m.

Hello,

I've recently inherited a LeGrand Mk15 that has a 2.6L 4cyl Porsche engine swapped into it. I have no information on this car other than that and just need a point in the right direction on where to find information about this type of chassis. I appreciate your time and help with this.

Thank you, Marshall

PS122
PS122 GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/16/11 7:06 a.m.

Try the following link: LeGrand Info

Also, please post some pics as many of us would love to see it.

gtphreak1
gtphreak1 New Reader
2/23/11 5:31 p.m.

Here is one pic of the car. It's been sitting since 2004. What I've been able to determine so far is that it was raced in San Diego at local SCCA events. It has a built Porsche 914 engine with dual downdraft webbers and is setup with an air clutch and the shifter is on the left Gand side of the cockpit. More pics and info to follow.

PS122
2/24/11 7:21 a.m.

Cool project... I'm anxious to see more photos.

Most of the LeGrands that I have seen have been powered by bike engines like Per's Mk18 project in GRM.

So what are your plans for the Mk15? Seems like a great autocross candidate. Or maybe even Porsche club events?

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
2/24/11 8:23 a.m.

Do you have pictures of the chassis? Does it have the original LeGrand serial number plate?

the Mk15 was a super-vee---but I'm curious how similar the monocoque is to the Mk18 like ours. It's my understanding that it was LeGrand's first stressed-skin monocoque and paved the way for the Mk18/Mk25 sports racers.

Per Schroeder
2/24/11 8:24 a.m.

OH, and there's so little information on Mk15s on the web that if you google "LeGrand Mk 15" this thread is the first listing. Already.

Per

PS122
2/24/11 9:50 a.m.

I was hoping you would chime in, Per.

Per Schroeder
2/24/11 10:26 a.m.

Yea, I saw this thread last night on my iPad, but wanted to do some research before I said something stupid.

Interesting that it has a LeGrand Mk18 style body--yet it's a SuperVee. That makes me curious about the chassis set-up.

stroker
stroker Reader
2/24/11 11:28 a.m.

that rollbar looks pretty massive for a Super Vee...

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
10/15/11 2:51 a.m.

Whatever happened w/ this car? chassis pics, info. Has there been any follow up?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/11 4:28 a.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: Yea, I saw this thread last night on my iPad, but wanted to do some research before I said something stupid.

You, Sir, have violated the spirit of the internet.

jr02518
jr02518 New Reader
10/15/11 8:03 p.m.

I posted a request for information on the solo2.com web site and this was posted:

I've been racing in SD since '74 and I don't remember that car at all. Try the PCA guys http://forum.pcasdr.org/index.php

I hope that helps some.

Steve

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
10/15/11 11:54 p.m.

Thanks Steve, I was dabbling w/ the thought of building a B Mod and looking for chassis ideas. Being LeGrands are popular I thought I'd look into the Mk 15 but research doesn't result much and few cars were even built.

Joshua
Joshua HalfDork
10/16/11 9:38 p.m.

I want to get a "barn find" LeGrand like this...too bad I'll probably never find one!

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
10/17/11 4:17 a.m.

zhaoyipeng024, now you really piss me off cause you canoe on LeGrand page, and I really like LeGrand, may you and your canoe burn forever in hell

gtphreak1
gtphreak1 New Reader
2/13/13 11:27 p.m.

This post is ancient but, here's an update with more pics and I apologize for not responding sooner.

The only thing LeGrand on this car is the bodywork. It appears that the chassis is a modified DS/R chassis that was certified by the SCCA for full competition in 1985. The SCCA approval certificate lists it as a Chotis Masgro 001 D S/R. The certificate lists the roll cage material as 4130 and lists the serial/chassis number 193785. The power train and transaxle are via a Porsche 914 built to 2.6L by Mark Stephens VW. I have the tuning log, engine build, blueprint and balance sheets, cam card, SCCA log book and certificate as well as photos of the car running as a B S/M and its results at Qualcomm. The dyno sheet shows that the car had 157hp and 148ft/lbs at the rear wheels. This is a project and last ran in 2004. I inherited this from my uncles storage unit when he passed away and I had planned to finish it. Now I want to sell it so I can go fishing. I'm open to separate the power train from the chassis and I'm also willing to sell just the body work. If anyone is interested I'll email you all of the pics you want.

If yer still reading, thank you, Marshall

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/14/13 8:13 a.m.

Where are you located?

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
2/14/13 8:43 a.m.

And how much do you want for it?

RossD
RossD UberDork
2/14/13 10:21 a.m.

That's quite the engine/transaxle for that little thing...

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
2/14/13 10:33 a.m.

Interesting. More pics / details / pricing?

Slow_M
Slow_M New Reader
7/10/20 12:01 a.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tYLO6NpZfj9ZprecGgDeQjnIskS1ykChLXZwOeirp1qNg46nXgSoltIpyXLxmXKr