gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/17/21 11:06 a.m.

Dry sponge seeking any and all basic and hotrod info. Specifically manual transaxle applications as well.

My current level of research includes Wikipedia and YouTube exhaust clips. I know there are 32v versions and 40v. I know there are belt and chain timing versions.

Are there versions to avoid? Where are the pitfalls? Is mix-n-match required to get the best transaxle behind the best engine, or is it possible to buy just one parts car?

What about converting a Quattro trans to 2wd? You know, because reasons. Simple or no?

Obviously, asking for a friend.

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
4/17/21 11:12 a.m.

I'm considering this for my 914 project as well, so I will be waiting to see what info is shared here. This to an 01E transaxle would make for a fun 2000# mid-engine track toy.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/17/21 12:03 p.m.

The timing chain version has become internet famous for eating tensioners around 100-120K miles.  Since the chain is at the back, that requires dropping the engine in an S4/etc.  This may or may not be relevant if you're swapping it into something else.

The early 32-valve DI ones have a tendency to crud up the intake ports valves because they don't get washed by the fuel.

I prefer the 0A3 transmission (out of the B6/B7 S4) to the 01E.  I don't know anything about the relative difficulty of converting them to 2wd though.

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/17/21 12:57 p.m.

See above, timing chains and somewhat carbon build up. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/17/21 1:47 p.m.

People have made crazy power with the belt 4.2 by using double head gaskets and keeping boost below about 80 ft-lb/cylinder, which is about the limit of the connecting rods.  Exhaust bolt pattern is the same as a 16v Volkswagen, and IIRC the passenger side head is a performance upgrade for the VW.

90% sure that the blocks are disposable items, the bores are coated aluminum and can't be bored or honed.  I don't think Audi even lists internal engine parts.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
4/17/21 3:44 p.m.

Besides the timing chain problems the 4.2's also have issues with cylinder bore scoring that makes them eat copious quantities of oil.  I wouldn't use one as a swap or buy a car equipped with one now.  They're all old and too unknown of a quantity at this point

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/17/21 6:35 p.m.

So, did you buy it?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2S9mWPPjr3uIml2abZOZLI2MhzII5n8CyEWhu8gFIVp6OTwbmqNxwVqs6c99LlxY