1 2
CarKid1989
CarKid1989 New Reader
10/6/08 6:07 p.m.

So my Miata and i are having a blast AutoXing every possible event. Problem is i used my street car as my autoX car and so my street mods bump me up to a different class.

Currently im in SM2 without a supercharger or turbo and i have street tires. This winter i am pulling out the EXintake cam swap and putting my stock cam back in. This will drop me down a class.

So i have two questions: 1) what class am i in with a stock motor and mods below? What class do i go to if i add R-Compounds?

1994 Miata. -Tokico Illumina shocks -Flyin Miata springs -FM front and rear sway bars -Rear upper suspension mounts (FM) -Magnaflow cat back.

I am really psyched about my driving and my car. I let one of the best (IMHO hes the best, and many agree) local Miata auto-crosser drive my car and i was not far off of his time that he got in my car. I am doing pretty ok i guess. the car seems to be as fast as it will be with the current setup. My driving can always improve but im gonna go with R-Comp tires next season and see what happens.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
10/6/08 6:11 p.m.

What kind of differential do you have? You might be in STS2. If you need an open diff to run in that class, I've got one I can make you a deal on!

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Reader
10/6/08 6:15 p.m.

I have the Torsen limited slip

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
10/6/08 6:29 p.m.

Yeah, even though it's stock, Torsen isn't legal for STS2.

I just don't give a damn how I'm classed at Auto-X. I don't have the driving skills, and my car is set up to do 4 different things pretty well, but not excel at any one.

Like I said, if you care about being legal, and want an open diff, I'll make you a good deal on one.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/6/08 7:34 p.m.

I'd look at the competition. If there are more locals in CSP, I'd go there. That's where I have run my Miata lately even though I give up 200cc. That's more fun that running solo. You could also ditch the rear bar, springs and shock mounts and go back to Stock.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Reader
10/6/08 9:30 p.m.

What would i be classed as with the stick engine and my suspension?

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Reader
10/6/08 9:51 p.m.

Best I can figure out with springs, rear swaybar and upper mounts is CSP. Hope this helps and good luck. CSP is competitive. But then again, so is CS which I run in with a bone stock 99 base w/opem diff. It still fun.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Reader
10/6/08 10:20 p.m.

but where is the rules showing what can and cant be done in each class.

grafmiata
grafmiata Dork
10/6/08 10:36 p.m.

Try www.scca.org. Everything's there ready to be downloaded in pdf.

ww
ww Dork
10/6/08 10:48 p.m.

Uhhh... DUH!

http://www.scca.org/contentpage.aspx?content=61

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter New Reader
10/6/08 11:37 p.m.

This is why I'm glad my local autocross DOESN'T use SCCA classing.

The classing here only cares about three things: how many cylinders your engine has(4, 6, or 8), if you have boost (the presence of which bumps you up a "cylinder" class), and what kind of tires you're running (street tires or r-compounds). Makes for 6 totally unconfusing classes, with no one whining about how they're classed.

mtn
mtn Dork
10/6/08 11:58 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: This is why I'm glad my local autocross DOESN'T use SCCA classing. The classing here only cares about three things: how many cylinders your engine has(4, 6, or 8), if you have boost (the presence of which bumps you up a "cylinder" class), and what kind of tires you're running (street tires or r-compounds). Makes for 6 totally unconfusing classes, with no one whining about how they're classed.

What about 5 cylinders?? and rotaries???

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/7/08 12:14 a.m.

This is why I run with the PCA. I'm simply in "non-Porsche". It's surprisingly fun!

My car can be in stock right now (no mods except the Rt-615's) but when I do run with the SCCA I run in STS2 (I'm not stupid enough to think a 25 year old RX-7 on street tires could hold a candle to a new Miata on R-Comps). I will continue to run in STS2 until I eventually port and boost the 12A at which point I will switch to SM2.

I know the car will never be "nationally competitive" and I don't care. I just look at the overall sheet and see where I land. This works great at the PCA events, and even at the SCCA ones. I may get creamed in STS2 by modded-to-the-edge Miatas, but I beat every Mustang and RX-8 on the property. Last time out I beat a couple of new jacks in a Viper and a Z06.

Personally, I see who's fast in a similar car and try to stick with them. I've gotten to the point where I can beat the regular Boxsters so I'm aiming for the Boxster S grouping now.

jdmae92
jdmae92 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/7/08 12:17 a.m.

Were you in the #1 Miata at the NORA event? I didn't even think about placing your car with this forum while I was there. I was in the #11 white Miata and if you saw any of my runs you can tell I am pretty bad, it was my first auto-x. Anyway, who did you have drive your car? I only had a chance to ride with one person that day, #14.

Carson
Carson Reader
10/7/08 12:24 a.m.

CarKid, off topic question for you as you're running the same suspension as I am:

Do your red adjustment indicator things fit all the way down on the rear shocks? Just curious, mine don't it's not a big deal, I just want see if yours where the same and/or to make sure I didn't put them on wrong or something.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Reader
10/7/08 7:52 a.m.
jdmae92 wrote: Were you in the #1 Miata at the NORA event? I didn't even think about placing your car with this forum while I was there. I was in the #11 white Miata and if you saw any of my runs you can tell I am pretty bad, it was my first auto-x. Anyway, who did you have drive your car? I only had a chance to ride with one person that day, #14.

Yeah i was the #1 car. Small world. I had Steve drive my car once and ride along once, he is the one who drives the newer black miata with his dad.

It was a blast wasnt it?

The indicators on my rear fit on perfectly, they come off easy but they are one

d_jabsd
d_jabsd GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/7/08 8:33 a.m.

How far behind are your times compared to the other SM2 competitors?

If you are planning on R-Comps, expect to gain a couple seconds. Add experience to that - more seat time should equal faster times, and then compare again. Are you within range of the competition?

I'm not familar with that cam, so I have no idea how it compares to stock, but I wouldn't necessarily be so quick to replace it just yet. There comes a point where more power doesn't necessarily make you quicker around the cones- a spinning tire can't put the power down, regardless of the power available.

I agree that it is frustrating to be out-gunned ( I drive a VW VR6 GTI in GS and am usually at the bottom of the pack, but this last saturday I won the class, beating a Sentra SE-R by a couple seconds- it was all driver, as he has beaten me before ), but I would start building the car to SM2 specs. Instead of adding power, add lightness. I'm sure you could strip out some unnecessary bits and shave a bit of weight- have air conditioning? the argument could be made that it is unnecessary in a convertible. Follow the rules and do everything you can. You may end up closer or even ahead of your competition with minimal work.

iceracer
iceracer Reader
10/7/08 8:54 a.m.

I run a couple of events with a Corvette club on a go-kart track. All "non" run Open. Stock, Prepared and Novice. It's fun and at a recent event a Miata and I in my ZX2/SR traded times back and forth during six runs. I finally bested him by 2 tenths.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Reader
10/7/08 9:34 a.m.

Im the other Miatas that are in SM2 hae superchargers and R- Comp tires. Last weekend i was I think 5 seconds behind the fastest SM2 miata. Its a lot, but when i get to thinking about it its not terrible. Add tires and that time gap shrinks quite a bit.

d_jabsd
d_jabsd GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/7/08 10:44 a.m.

Yea, you could make up 5 seconds with r-comps, seat time and maybe removing some weight.

Try to get some used r-comps if new are too pricy and see what happens.

If you do end up replacing the cam with the stock one, give CSP a try before removing the diff.

jdmae92
10/7/08 10:55 a.m.
CarKid1989 wrote:
jdmae92 wrote: Were you in the #1 Miata at the NORA event? I didn't even think about placing your car with this forum while I was there. I was in the #11 white Miata and if you saw any of my runs you can tell I am pretty bad, it was my first auto-x. Anyway, who did you have drive your car? I only had a chance to ride with one person that day, #14.
Yeah i was the #1 car. Small world. I had Steve drive my car once and ride along once, he is the one who drives the newer black miata with his dad. It was a blast wasnt it? The indicators on my rear fit on perfectly, they come off easy but they are one

Yea I rode along with his dad on his first run. It was a blast, I am definitely going to try to make it to the next event. I need some better tires, I am going to try to find some used tires to put on my stock wheels for the event.

My best time was 62.220 on the first course, compared to my first time of 76.xx with an off course I think I improved a bit.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Reader
10/7/08 11:47 a.m.

jdmae92 come to lakeland community college this sunday for an autoX ill be there and so will Tim, the guy with the supercharged miata

jdmae92
10/7/08 12:51 p.m.

I'll see if I can make it, that is almost a 2 hour drive for me though. What time does it start?

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Reader
10/7/08 7:59 p.m.

starts at like 10AM. Get there like 830 ish or so

procker
procker New Reader
10/7/08 8:04 p.m.

sorry man, cant make it kev...stupid work at the clinic...unless i can switch with someone....hmm...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mgKEm45RFC350Os1awG8ZAnldDDBZivcxDswrSEnlNfuhMo5ngEHm71d7LanQm6V