1 2
captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/7/16 9:35 a.m.

Also if you're getting to the challenge and haven't done a livery for the car yet, let me know. I have an idea for you to use and I'll let you in on a secret that I'm hoping to pull off at the challenge (though there's currently a nearby venue sticking point)

M030
M030 Dork
9/7/16 1:36 p.m.

In reply to octavious:

I'm glad you asked. I have about 13 photos I could send you. Just shoot me a PM in which you write out your actual email address, then I will crash your server sending you pictures of the seats

M030
M030 Dork
9/7/16 1:40 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: Also if you're getting to the challenge and haven't done a livery for the car yet, let me know. I have an idea for you to use and I'll let you in on a secret that I'm hoping to pull off at the challenge (though there's currently a nearby venue sticking point)

In reply to captdownshift:

Sounds very interesting! I've been trying to get to The Challenge for about five years, and each time I get de-railed somehow. Maybe this is the year?

Tom1200
Tom1200 Reader
9/7/16 11:48 p.m.

I wish you nothing but the best on your recovery and like the others said its just stuff. The garage clean out may also provide a much needed distraction.

This topic is rather timely and resonates with most of us; I finally decide to start cleaning out the clutter about 2 weeks ago. Selling of stuff for $50 with the exception of a few bigger dollar things. All the rest I'm giving away. 3 months ago my father in law passed (he was 85) and he had made all the arrangements 15 years before he passed, that took a huge burden off everyone. It makes life a lot easier not having a bunch of stuff to deal with.

M030
M030 Dork
9/8/16 5:22 a.m.
captdownshift wrote: Don't allow yourself to be distracted with material burdens while in your fight. Rather than worrying about that think of a day or weekend trip or adventure that you'd be up for doing and let's see what we can all do as a community in order to make that happen. It can be car related, or it can be completely unrelated.

We think alike. I'm taking my son to Lime Rock a week from Saturday, where he'll be watching daddy autocross the Hausfrau Porsche. This isn't my first time around with this brain cancer E36 M3. I've had three tumors before this one; this is just the first high grade "aggressive" one. The crazy part of it is that I was in remission for two and a half years, then this one came on very suddenly. So I sold my body to science and I actually feel pretty good. I'm getting experimental treatment at Yale, because I've already done standard chemo/radiation in the past, and one can't just keep getting radiation and chemo. So far, the new treatments just make me tired and, sometimes, a little dizzy. I've also determined that the lateral G-force from autocrossing as hard as I can is going to make this thing retreat. It'll be like, "E36 M3! This is a hostile environment! I'm getting outta here!" So, it's a multi pronged approach. Not yet FDA approved

I just won't autocross on treatment days so the dizziness isn't an issue. Woody, I think you and Dean should come get all the Porsche debris

M030
M030 Dork
9/8/16 7:27 a.m.

/>Seats

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/9/16 2:32 p.m.
M030 wrote: Woody, I think you and Dean should come get all the Porsche debris

As tempting as that sounds, I just don't have the storage space for anymore stuff right now.

golfduke
golfduke Reader
9/9/16 2:59 p.m.

Well Mr M030... I'm sorry to hear of your challenges, but I am local-ish, and would love to offer my hand at helping out in any way that I can, whether that means cleaning up garages, wrenching on broken junk piles, or just drinking beer... I'm available and ready.

Turboeric
Turboeric GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/9/16 5:33 p.m.

Best of luck with the fight - it sounds as though you're taking an intelligent and active role, which is always best. As the executor for my late car nut/amateur racer best friend's estate and trustee for his kids, I want to commend you for the urge to simplify. No-one knows this material (and how best to make sure it gets well used) than you do. Those you leave behind have a lot to contend with (as do you, of course), and dealing with a pile of stuff isn't going to be high on their list of priorities. So thank you from someone who benefitted from another cancer-battler's thoughtfulness.

Now all of you GRMers: Make a will. I don't care if you're 20, do it. Make a list of all your non-obvious assets, and how to find them. Write down account numbers, passwords, people to contact - all the stuff you need to make your financial life work. Put this in a safe place, and tell your executor (or someone you trust) how to find it. Morbid? Nope - realistic. Most of us hope to die in bed at 100, after a good shag, but you never know when life has other plans for you. Do this for those you love.

M030
M030 Dork
1/4/17 4:44 a.m.

Is this still a thing? Is anyone interested in raiding my parts stash? At this point, money is not even a concern, just come get the stuff. Seriously. I want everything useful to go to someone who can/likely will use it

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cAVl0KTNKCt3e3RasgbZntToNd2x1YhEVtAS8bgi1edvFgC1gN6bqSE3CX0oE5z5