1 2
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/2/17 7:41 a.m.

Just curious, I'm going to refuse to go out and eat lots of ramen this coming year with the goal of trying to order a new Camaro SS 1LE next year.

Anyone have any idea of the expected lifespan of these dampers? Cost to replace? Just curious.

outasite
outasite HalfDork
3/2/17 8:47 a.m.

If you have to ask,…………..

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/2/17 8:59 a.m.
outasite wrote: If you have to ask,…………..

I'm not making $8/hr asking if I can afford a Patek Phillipe watch. Troll elsewhere.

Snrub
Snrub Reader
3/2/17 9:01 a.m.

I think one way to look at this is the SS 1LE is a minimum mid-$40k car that can roast plenty of more expensive machines. It's not an inexpensive car and parts that make is so special may not be inexpensive. I think I heard something like $800 front, $800 rear, but I've put no effort into verifying this. I suspect in the future one will be able to convert the magnetic suspension to something capable and non-magnetic from the aftermarket.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/2/17 9:09 a.m.

No, that's the cost of a FRICS system

I'm sure there will be plenty of traditional shock options for future replacement if nothing else. I wouldn't let the cost of the magnetorheological dampers by itself put you off.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/2/17 9:12 a.m.

In reply to Snrub:

I want the aftermarket to develop magnetic suspension systems for non factory equipped platforms instead

The0retical
The0retical Dork
3/2/17 9:13 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac:

Brief search of the internet says about $540 a shock for the current model year. Since they're listed in the same IPB it appears that they're interchangeable with the non-variables. You'll need to change over the springs but they're cheap.

Should be the one with variable dampening.

No idea what their lifespan is however.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
3/2/17 9:16 a.m.

Work at a GM dealership and here in NY's notoriously brutal winters, it's still rare to see one fail.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/2/17 9:46 a.m.

Thanks The0retical and NickD for actually providing some insight.

And GameboyRMH, it wouldn't put me off I was just curious. Like I said right there in the original post. $2200 is what a good set of coilovers would cost, so that's not a big deal at all.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/2/17 9:47 a.m.
captdownshift wrote: In reply to Snrub: I want the aftermarket to develop magnetic suspension systems for non factory equipped platforms instead

DSSV spool-valve dampers

That's what you want to see. On the Camaro ZL1 LE, the ditched the Magnetic dampers for the DSSV setup. Apparently saved 60 pounds.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
3/2/17 9:48 a.m.
captdownshift wrote: In reply to Snrub: I want the aftermarket to develop magnetic suspension systems for non factory equipped platforms instead

They area already doing that. You can get them for the Viper in both a street and track configuration.

Look at the corvette stuff, it is two generations old in the C6 and still kicking around 100 miles in a lot of cars.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
3/2/17 10:12 a.m.

Dad had 150k on the mag ride stuff in his c5. No failures with them. Everything else on the other hand.....

bigev007
bigev007 Reader
3/2/17 10:28 a.m.
z31maniac wrote:
DSSV spool-valve dampers That's what you want to see. On the Camaro ZL1 LE, the ditched the Magnetic dampers for the DSSV setup. Apparently saved 60 pounds.

They also claim that DSSV dampers don't wear. Or at least the valving doesn't.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
3/2/17 11:18 a.m.

The magnetic ride shocks on my vette were still working fine when I pulled them off to install z06 dampers. 2003 with 110k.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
3/2/17 11:22 a.m.
z31maniac wrote:
I'm not making $8/hr asking if I can afford a Patek Phillipe watch. Troll elsewhere.

After all, you have to ask so you know how much to write the check for.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/2/17 11:32 a.m.
wlkelley3 wrote:
z31maniac wrote:

Only a fool does not ask how much something costs. All those people with $$$$ did not get it by not asking the price of things. You can bet that they asked and accounted for every penny and that is why they have a big pile of $$$$$ now.

dean1484
3/2/17 11:37 a.m.

On another note, my truck has electronic shocks. They are original with over 300K on them and they work fine. Not sure if they are the same units. They are not an active suspension type setup. These are on or off controlled by the driver depending on the load in the truck. Replacements are about $275 each.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/2/17 12:46 p.m.
dean1484 wrote:
wlkelley3 wrote:
z31maniac wrote:
Only a fool does not ask how much something costs. All those people with $$$$ did not get it by not asking the price of things. You can bet that they asked and accounted for every penny and that is why they have a big pile of $$$$$ now.

Exactly, thanks gents for understanding the inquiry.

wannacruise
wannacruise New Reader
3/2/17 1:08 p.m.

You shouldn't have to change them. Or if they go it will be within the warranty. The aftermarket can set you up with non-magno if you want. My '03 C5 still has original magnetic ride control shocks that work perfectly.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/2/17 1:15 p.m.

That statement, "if you have to ask" always bothers me.

If I knew, I wouldn't be asking. I don't know, so I'm asking. That is why I have to ask. My knowing or not knowing something does not mean that I can or cannot afford it.

I have a water heater. Works wonderfully. But I called a plumber and asked how much to replace it, because the thing is 22 years old. So now I know to have that much aside for the water heater in case it blows. I didn't know how much it cost to replace, so I had to ask. Does that mean I can't afford it? Because I didn't know?

Don't mean to pile on anyone here, just super annoyed with that question.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
3/2/17 1:28 p.m.

When GM developed MagnaRide, they really did their homework. More proof of when GM does something right, they do it right

dean1484
3/2/17 1:37 p.m.
mtn wrote: That statement, "if you have to ask" always bothers me. now? Don't mean to pile on anyone here, just super annoyed with that question.

Ya I had to edit my reply as it needed to be. . .. made politically correct.

But I agree with you %100

Snrub
Snrub Reader
3/2/17 1:40 p.m.

I really don't understand why DSSV shocks haven't become ubiquitous. Surely they can't cost that much to produce? Surely multimatic (patent owner) would be thrilled to receive royalties for every car sold on the planet?

The just announced SS 1LE will have DSSV shocks, just like the previous gen Z28. A Z28 suspension package from GM Performanc parts is $4k for a 5th gen camaro and that includes all sorts of control arms, links, etc.

GM seems happy to receive money from ferrari, et al. for magnetic shocks.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/2/17 1:55 p.m.
Snrub wrote: I really don't understand why DSSV shocks haven't become ubiquitous. Surely they can't cost that much to produce? Surely multimatic (patent owner) would be thrilled to receive royalties for every car sold on the planet? The just announced SS 1LE will have DSSV shocks, just like the previous gen Z28. A Z28 suspension package from GM Performanc parts is $4k for a 5th gen camaro and that includes all sorts of control arms, links, etc. GM seems happy to receive money from ferrari, et al. for magnetic shocks.

Link? Everything I have read is the SS 1LE is getting magnetic, it's the ZL1 1LE that's getting the DSSV.

In fact, I even mentioned so earlier in this thread.

SS = 455hp NA LT1
ZL1 = 650hp Supercharged (whatever the designation is)

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
3/2/17 2:04 p.m.

FWIW, I read outasite's comment above as an attempt at making a joke and not trolling. It was an answer that essentially means "I do not know, but I think I can be entertaining". Sometimes that doesn't work, like in this case.

Sounds like the consensus is that the magnetic shocks will either fail under warranty or last a long time and that they are not all that expensive to replace if need be.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
saPwXPukvoR2IOTvv6Tlk8W8w6DhQLtfmgrgVwllNoW2m2OCzLyN0VSkx9XFW2tN