1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
8/31/11 9:59 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: Oh, and there is nothing more pleasing than pulling a jeep out of a mud puddle with your Geo, if you were curious.

I did it with a first gen 7. 1 limited slip beats open diffs all the way around. It was pretty satisfying.

alex
alex SuperDork
8/31/11 10:21 p.m.
fastEddie wrote:

Well, now I know what I'm doing with my ladyfriend's Focus when she's finally tired of it.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
8/31/11 10:43 p.m.

how do you lift a focus

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey HalfDork
8/31/11 10:48 p.m.

@zomby woof.

Your son was right!

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
9/1/11 11:29 a.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: how do you lift a focus

HotBits, Leda or DMS suspensions. The last 2 are cubic $$'s though ($5k setup). There are probably other ways but NASA RallySpecFocus is built on the DMS setup.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/1/11 11:53 a.m.
JoeyM wrote:
Taiden wrote:
Caswell's build looks awesome.

not too much e30 left there

klipless
klipless Reader
9/1/11 12:23 p.m.

I've always liked the first gen SRX's. They look like lifted first gen CTS wagons, even though they never made one.

I wonder if you could bolt the knuckles, control arms, springs, etc from an SRX to a first gen CTS-V? That would be awesome.

gjz30075
gjz30075 Reader
9/1/11 12:47 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote:
Tom Suddard wrote: Oh, and there is nothing more pleasing than pulling a jeep out of a mud puddle with your Geo, if you were curious.
I did it with a first gen 7. 1 limited slip beats open diffs all the way around. It was pretty satisfying.

I did the same; pulled a Chevy Avalanche (4wd) out of mud with my 850 Volvo wagon.

I think this is the anti slam thread.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
9/1/11 1:15 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: ...and only you guys would understand how cool it really was.

Don't lump me in with those Martians.

tcoleman900
tcoleman900 New Reader
9/1/11 2:29 p.m.

my old "rally spec" n/a c900 sedan

then i changed it to auto x duty

mmosbey
mmosbey GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/2/11 12:49 a.m.

Porsches take to it well: Porsche North Rim Challenge

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey HalfDork
9/2/11 2:16 a.m.
mmosbey wrote: Porsches take to it well: Porsche North Rim Challenge

1:38 makes me smile.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/2/11 7:17 a.m.

very very cool on the porsches

Frankencar
Frankencar None
4/26/12 6:30 p.m.
VonSmallhausen wrote: http://www.frankenbuilt.com/cars.html I'm just gonna leave this here

You posted my site! :) I have an obsession with lifting cars - but only if useful lifted.

bastomatic wrote: ...Unfortunately it appears the CV joints do not fare well in the lifted Elements. Any feedback on longer term durability of lifted Vee Dubs or Subies? ...

I found when lifting my VW's that the CV's are quite reliable up to a certain point and then the lifespan degrades rapidly with any lift over that. Once near the limit however, extended driving at high speed seems to be able to overheat them. driving my golf at 100 or so mph would result in overheat and bind up after about 8-10 minutes - but cruising at that speed isn't a good idea for other reasons anyway.

joey48442
joey48442 UberDork
4/26/12 6:46 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: Here's my mighty Geo: Only a 1.5" lift, but with skid plates and good driving it's much more capable than anything my friends have managed to put together, so I love it. It has also greatly expanded my mountain biking opportunities, as my e30 can't get to most of the good trails in the area. Oh, and there is nothing more pleasing than pulling a jeep out of a mud puddle with your Geo, if you were curious.

I was kind of wondering how pleasing that would be...:)

Joey

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe HalfDork
4/26/12 8:51 p.m.

Is it wrong that I want to do this with a convertible beetle.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
4/26/12 9:49 p.m.

That bug is sweet. \ End of story

dabird
dabird New Reader
4/26/12 10:10 p.m.
tcoleman900 wrote: my old "rally spec" n/a c900 sedan then i changed it to auto x duty

Tell me more about this, I'm currently working on setting up my 88 900 for rally x. always looking for tips

procainestart
procainestart Dork
4/26/12 10:32 p.m.

1977 Saab 99:

http://preciadoracing.8m.com/index.html

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/26/12 10:56 p.m.
klipless wrote: I've always liked the first gen SRX's. They look like lifted first gen CTS wagons, even though they never made one. I wonder if you could bolt the knuckles, control arms, springs, etc from an SRX to a first gen CTS-V? That would be awesome.

I, too, have thought the same thing. If any of the ratted out 150k milers ever come down in price I would love to explore the thought. Until then I dream of a 6.0L powered Catera.

Frankencar
Frankencar New Reader
4/27/12 12:33 a.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: That bug is sweet. \ End of story

That bug did not end well. the terribly low wheel offset is a major contributor to bearing failure, tramlining, and unusually high load on steering components. Those tires will not clear with the wheels at full lock or the suspension fully compressed making it unrealistic to actually use it for what it looks like it's built for. Lifting a car needs to be done properly in order to not become a hazard. Suspension geometry and bump/droop travel need to be carefully considered.

I put a ton of time into my wife's new beetle - and I thin kthe results are very safe and functional - though not quite as radical and "cool" looking. What do you guys think of it?

Lifted New Beetle TDI Offroad Videos - Youtube Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPdE88nhKPI&list=PLBEFD0534BECC7C50&feature=plpp_play_all

octavious
octavious New Reader
4/27/12 6:59 a.m.

I don't have a pic with me, but what about all the air cooled VW Bajas. Those had to be one of the earliest lifted cars. And are so sweet.

Frakencar- do you have any pics and a description of what was done to your NB? There is one near me for sale that needs a little work that is calling for me to Baja it.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy PowerDork
4/27/12 8:42 a.m.

Sometimes it just gets a little overboard:

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/27/12 8:47 a.m.

I will just leave this here

Jay
Jay UltraDork
4/27/12 9:13 a.m.

How has the original Golf Country not been mentioned yet? One of them lives down the street from me... it is awesome.

Complete OE package. Everything you see there was on those cars when they left the dealership lot. AWD.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WyYAfci9m45tH6n5Iqv4ANP97emOPxIcvKNa0uNekSJTNehfqDM5TmeyNVrwhyfC