1 2 3
irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
12/1/14 4:51 p.m.
bluej wrote:
irish44j wrote: For an e30 though, I think "the answer" really is BMW DOHC I6s though. It's simply an easier swap, that plenty of people have done, which gets near your power requirements with some engine mods, and reasonably available at pick and pulls these days.
exactly. I've already got megasquirt that'll run it easily (well, once I figure out how to do a second PWM map for really getting the most our of the VVT), and it'll bolt up to my existing trans. Stock it makes about the same ultimate power goals I had with the small turbo with none of the driveability issues for rally cross. I see at least (2) 528i's at the yard every time I go. probably just jinxed myself, though. :p

Can't you just run the M50/52 off its stock ECU?

IDK, I drove Nick's car at the last event for one run and the power difference from mine is astounding. I was almost as fast in that big tank as in my car. I've always thought my car was quick on course due to its balance and lightness, but now I'm honestly having second thoughts. I also did a run in the crappy ETA, and was only 1 second slower than in my own car, and that car has full interior and crap suspension.

A lot will depend on where we end up running next year. At frostburg I have doubts that my car can win at this point against the 6cyl bmws, since those courses are so wide-open and don't reward the lighter, lower-power cars like (for instance) Ohio or Summit did. If we move someplace with more grass and tighter courses, that's a different story.

But then again, Shawn beats everyone with probably the least power of any RWD car out there, so it could just be my crappy driving

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/1/14 5:06 p.m.

The first time we all swapped earlier this year, the biggest thing I noticed was how much better a faster rack was for corrections. This time, there were two big standouts. First was the obvious improvement in throttle response and powerband of Nick's car versus mine. Kind of sealed the deal on ditching the turbo. The second was how much more stable his car is than both of ours, both in terms of turn in, absorption, and correction. Has me really scratching my head on how much to attribute to wheelbase and weight vs. suspension setup (and possibly alignment).

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
12/1/14 6:33 p.m.

All that true. His car eats up the bumps and is really easy to keep in line. Mine crashes through potholes and can get over-loose at times.

I mostly attribute it to the course designs, especially in the second half of this season, which are really very open with almost no low-speed sections. Adam goes for the "stage rally" feel vice the "autocross on dirt" feel, which is certainly fun but also way different for car setup and power needs. Nick wasn't very close to me or Roberto last year on the Summit Point courses (albeit his setup is better now).

Again though, I suspect that on a course like GLDivs, Nick's car would not have been particularly fast, since "tossability" and quick chassis seemed to be the real keys. It's really going to be interesting to see where we end up running next year. I think the general consensus is that Frostburg is a fallback, but we really need to get someplace closer-in to I95 corridor to keep this program going strong.

All that said, driving your car I simply felt out of control, lol. Even with the beat-up old ETA, it felt much better planted than yours or mine.

I won't have the cash or time to do an engine swap this winter though, so I guess I"m just going to have to fiddle with suspension (I think I need more rate or more bar, honestly) and try to ditch even more weight.

That is, unless an M20B25 falls into my lap (which is a possibility).

--

unrelated, last night I was visualizing a Volvo 240 wagon with a mid-engine/RWD setup mounted where the backseats go (e.g. an MR2 with a Volvo body around it, lol). It would be the only mid-engine car out there that can still hold a full set of wheels/tires and a weekend's worth of track gear inside

carbon
carbon Dork
12/1/14 7:45 p.m.

What's the is350 motor, a 2gr? That'd be wicked.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V2DUOGxTxIx6J1Li8Hkhan1wWjEBtX8I2MkMjghZKNOvZNtB0pmQE576dFyT2p0v