Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
6/16/14 2:11 p.m.

Let’s cut right to the chase: Fuel additives have a bad reputation in our world. They go by all sorts of names–modifiers, enhancers, boosters–but one unifying term seems to stick to them like glue: snake oil. Like those supposedly medicinal liniments peddled at 19th-century sideshows, they don’t work, they’re overpriced, and they’re sold by con artists.

Or are they?

A …

Read the rest of the story

itsthewolf
itsthewolf
12/8/14 12:52 p.m.

A lot of them are just pure snake oil, surprised to see one of the few that actually work.

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
12/8/14 1:00 p.m.

Results?? Along with enough content and details to verify the results with please!

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
12/8/14 1:00 p.m.
MNTuningGuru wrote: I would love to see some results from Race Gas, I have been using it for almost 2 years and absolutely love the stuff! Check it out and let me know what you guys think - (canoe link removed)

I don't see how a canoe could make any use of that stuff.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
12/8/14 1:32 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard:

Isn't there a write-up in the latest GRM issue?

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/8/14 3:42 p.m.

I'd be very interested to see what the difference would be with 93 octane in the tank as the baseline. With the way Ford does their engine mapping now, it may be running on a less optimal tune with the 87 octane in the tank.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/8/14 3:49 p.m.

I'd like to see a comparison with actual snake oil. I have never been able to find any, I mean, how hard is it to press a snake for oil anyway?

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Dork
12/8/14 4:04 p.m.

6 months later without any results? Must have been labeled snake oil early on

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
12/8/14 4:10 p.m.

The article shows the dyno results. Link at the top of this page.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/lightning-bottle/

if you didn't see it at the top.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
12/8/14 4:22 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: I'd like to see a comparison with actual snake oil. I have never been able to find any, I mean, how hard is it to press a snake for oil anyway?

If you get olive oil by squeezing the E36 M3 out of olives, how do you get baby oil?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jGSS8bh1q5IOwkI37M8EDQVX6bpNjEIWCyz73fDCJpTgpm5E6w0ZlCa7j8VhVxCu