1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
6/29/22 1:01 p.m.
feature_image

Last night we took our 1984 Porsche 911 Carrera to the Legends Classic Import Night at Ace Café Orlando. The requirement for entry? Nothing built after 1999.

Here are more than 30 photos of all the rad cars we saw. Which one(s) is your favorite?

Read the rest of the story

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
6/29/22 1:20 p.m.

That Evo Wagon does something for me, althought to be pednatic, I don't think thats older than 99. What kit is on that MKIV Supra with the 6 projectors? Wild.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/29/22 1:29 p.m.

In reply to fatallightning :

Veilside.

And when it rolled in, it almost looked like a modded SN95 Mustang–something about the rear window shape. 

FWIW, the Evo wagon showed up late. I think they let in a few post-2000 cars but not many. Like, the new Supras were in the general lot. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
6/29/22 6:58 p.m.

E46 BMW is post 99 as well, but I would let it in just for the color.

David S. Wallens
6/29/22 7:35 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

Maybe it was 2000 production? It showed up late. This was my first time there. A few later cars came after dark, but the mix was very cool. I'd go back. More JDM cars than expected. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
6/29/22 7:58 p.m.

Those old Corolla's with the wheel flairs are really cool.  Read up on a guy named Big Mike Muniz and his Corollas.   

David S. Wallens
6/29/22 8:29 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Mangos!

Thabks for sharing, lots of cool cars! For me the white Corolla TE27 mango, hands down favorite!

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
6/29/22 11:34 p.m.

I spotted a Datsun 1200 above, but don't remember seeing a parachute ever hanging out the back of mine.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Dork
6/30/22 5:47 a.m.

Of course I like old school imports, I spent my teenage years playing Gran Turismo 2!

Pokitren
Pokitren New Reader
6/30/22 6:15 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:
TurnerX19 said:

Maybe it was 2000 production? It showed up late. This was my first time there. A few later cars came after dark, but the mix was very cool. I'd go back. More JDM cars than expected. 

Those who didn't get in, have to look at the pictures. But even the pictures are impressive!

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/30/22 6:55 a.m.

Rare, but I want a JDM Mercedes w201, w124, and w140. They came with crazy options that only Japanese execs liked to have in their car. And almost always ordered in black on black on black. 

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
6/30/22 8:34 a.m.

Old Corollas get me everytime

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
6/30/22 10:17 a.m.

Where are the old school cars?  No wire wheels. No cut away doors, not even a hole in the bumper for the starting handle. 

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/30/22 10:28 a.m.

There's a show like that near me; The Old School Reunion. Only JDM and euro imports I think just this year or last year they bumped it up from pre88 to pre95. Lot's of cool, weird cars. And tons of custom rides. It's a refreshing look at the bargain side of car modifying.

David S. Wallens
6/30/22 11:20 a.m.

In reply to Pokitren :

Thanks and it was a fun evening. Cool crowd, too. I hope to make it back. 

aw614
aw614 Reader
6/30/22 2:33 p.m.

So about those with 00-01 Integras, can they get in? since they are mostly identical to their 94-00 counterparts lol

I've wanted to go to one of these since they look like fun and I've enjoyed other daytime meets at Ace Cafe, but the thought of driving I4 during an evening rushhour from Tampa has stopped me 

David S. Wallens
6/30/22 2:39 p.m.

In reply to aw614 :

I take the new express lanes. Yes, it costs me a buck for the toll, but I get to skip the traffic–totally worth it. Coming from the east, I just get off I-4 at Ivanhoe Blvd. Not sure how it is coming from Tampa, but maybe it's worth a look.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
6/30/22 3:09 p.m.

So we like J-tin?  Camp outside the JCC Show in Long Beach early and catch the cars coming in.  

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
6/30/22 3:11 p.m.

You guys want to see more Toyota Corolla's?

Oh wait, is this a Datsun B210 and not a Corolla?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
6/30/22 3:13 p.m.

okay, okay, I will quit richarding around and give you the Corollas.

David S. Wallens
6/30/22 3:59 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

I went to JCCS a few years ago and need to get back. It is way, way cool. 

It is cool seeing all these cars in our backyard. Sadly, more than a few cars we owned and no longer do....

I might bring the Miata next time. We'll see. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/30/22 4:47 p.m.

I was looking through the pictures on Colin's first post and getting ready to be disappointed with just how new most of the cars were, and the fact that there were no old school rotaries.  Then I saw the blue RX-3.  Whew.  Thank you!

Makes me want an RX-2 again, but of course it wouldn't be the same, and certainly not worth the money it would take to acquire a decent one.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/30/22 4:49 p.m.
frenchyd said:

Where are the old school cars?  No wire wheels. No cut away doors, not even a hole in the bumper for the starting handle. 

LOL.  Thank you!  I tried to vote up your post, but the young whippersnappers that run this site wouldn't let me!  So I'll give it the recognition it deserves by quoting it. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/30/22 9:11 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:
frenchyd said:

LOL.  Thank you!  I tried to vote up your post, but the young whippersnappers that run this site wouldn't let me!  So I'll give it the recognition it deserves by quoting it. 

So when will the cars that we like that are older than us be allowed to be called oldschool? Please let us know, o knowledgeable gatekeeper! 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JZAhKDuYdH8RCzCIDhiXLmHqa9Y3eFBdu6aRtnxcUmwZT3BstKZPW2mBLcThJHqt