einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/9/20 9:42 a.m.

Looking for a new floor jack for the garage, and two offerings from Harbor Freight caught my eye.  First is their Pittsburgh brand 3 ton, low profile, 3 1/8” to 19 7/8” stroke range unit for $115.  Other is their Daytona brand 3 ton, low profile, 3 1/4” to 20” stroke range unit for $148.  Both would be less when I use the typical xx% off coupon from the most recent flyer.

Specs look nearly identical between the two.  Both are ASME - PASE certified (allegedly).

Any experience between these two HF brands of jacks that points to a measurable amount of better-ness for the $33 more expensive Daytona over the Pittsburgh?  Use will be typical of what we GRM’ers do in our garages on daily driver and project cars, not everyday use.

Thanks in advance, as always.

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
9/9/20 9:52 a.m.

FYI unless you have a super special coupon, those 20% off coupons aren't applicable to floor jacks or anything daytona brand.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
9/9/20 9:58 a.m.

I have the Pittsburgh low profile deal.  IIRC I got it for around $90 with some combination of coupons and sorcery.  It's been plugging away for 5 or so years, lately it was acting kindof sticky so I pulled it apart and cleaned it, and it seems to be fine now. 

Recently bought a new aluminum one, and the little extra lighter that it is makes a big difference for lugging it around.  But if the jack's just going to reside in your garage, then just go with the steel deal. 

My recent thread on this:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/lightweight-jacks/175589/page1/

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
9/9/20 10:13 a.m.

Similar to volvoclearing, I have the Pittsburgh gray low profile. Paid between 80-90$. Will have to dig up receipt. My sears one died after 15 years, and I bought this 2 years ago. Been fantastic, from working on my ricers to my heavier truck and suv. 

I have a 3 page thread here about picking a jack, but due to the non searchable content, not currently inclined to find that. 

Good luck

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/9/20 10:17 a.m.
mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
9/9/20 10:56 a.m.
Jesse Ransom said:

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

This one?

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/please-recommend-a-jack/151567/page1/

Yup thats it! Thanks

Jordan Rimpela (FS)
Jordan Rimpela (FS) Dork
9/9/20 11:02 a.m.

I recently got a lime green Daytona 3 ton low-pro jack. Forget the price, but it's better than the 40+ year old Sears unit we've had up to this point.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Reader
9/9/20 11:03 a.m.

Lots of info on HF jacks (pro and con) here

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/ 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/9/20 11:04 a.m.

Mike Finnegan from HRG mentions the upper end Daytona yellow one from HF so I being sick of lower end crap bought that one.  

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/9/20 12:55 p.m.

Cool ... thanks folks, looks like the lower cost HF one will do what I need it to.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
W64X579fEoKK1MuvZvx9rNEcP6FTqhgudN6ASYQyQOtPxZC1cXk1IsfJeJJkxymo