1 ... 4 5 6 7
thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/13/21 11:47 a.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

And the giant wheels are a durability mod. Everyone knows that metal is stronger than rubber laugh

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
6/13/21 2:07 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

Why are some mixing politics and cars now?  I can't think of one time that bringing politics into anything made it better. 

Stupid people do stupid things, regardless of their politics.  The squat is actually pretty solid proof of this.  I'm sure looking at the tops of trees at night makes for great drives in the Smokey Mountains. 

If there should be a law against stupidity does have a political component, so the question was dangerous from the start. The O P assumed it would not make it past pg 1. 
As to why it's ok to say only trump supporters are stupid enough to do something like this, well no politics are allowed to be discussed on here. Unless the political opinion matches the people that police that rule. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/13/21 3:51 p.m.

So uh, driving to Disneyworld from South Carolina today....

Saw about 1000 squatted trucks heading the other way.  I heard it was Daytona truck week.

Some of those trucks were doing about 60 mph on 95...  some had the front end sooo high and little tires on the rear that I didn't understand how people could see out of them.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/13/21 11:26 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

I wondered WTF I was seeing today.  Was driving back to Tampa from Tallahassee.  Every couple minutes three or four would pass going the other way.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/14/21 7:42 a.m.

Maybe they're all practicing to taxi a taildragger.

pirate
pirate HalfDork
6/14/21 9:45 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

I wondered WTF I was seeing today.  Was driving back to Tampa from Tallahassee.  Every couple minutes three or four would pass going the other way.

If those trucks were anything like I see around here with all those trucks the ground was probably shaking from the music and base.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/14/21 9:58 a.m.

Oh, I'm so glad truck week is over.

I posted these pictures of the pavement in front of my office in the meme thread. I really don't care if they're doing burnouts, but my clients have complained (one blames us for allowing it). 

They were generally driving like idiots, often with young women in the beds, including sitting up on the bed sides. There were multiple wrecks and subsequent traffic jams. 

And yes, many of them have a large portion of the bed filled with speakers. 

From my post on the meme thread. 

Sidewayze
Sidewayze Reader
6/14/21 10:12 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

The more of this kind of thing I see, the more I think this rock may be just about due for another good asteroid strike...

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
6/14/21 10:38 a.m.

There's a surprisingly low number of "Calvin peeing on..." decals on those trucks.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/14/21 10:47 a.m.

Normally I hate those "mankind is doomed" statements, but I may have to make an exception for this one. As I've mentioned before, you have a god-given right to act like an idiot. But you don't have a right to put innocents in harms way. Any vehicle in front of one of those abortions is in harms way. 

captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
6/14/21 11:30 a.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) Dork
6/14/21 11:34 a.m.

In reply to captainawesome :

The gasser is on a dragstrip, the trophy truck/prerunner is offroad (and is nowhere near as squatted as the Daytona truck week trucks above).  Neither appears to be plated for street use.

404 outrage not found.

captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
6/14/21 11:39 a.m.

In reply to Flynlow (FS) :

Both are street legal vehicles. Blasphemi is a fairly notorious car that has run plenty of street miles for episodes of Roadkill and participated in multiple Drag Weeks.

I chose both for that specific reason.

Also no outrage here. Just pointing out there are other vehicles that share similar characteristics. It can be a slippery slope.

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) Dork
6/14/21 11:43 a.m.

I meant outrage on my side.  But point taken on the street plates.  

golfduke
golfduke Dork
6/14/21 11:43 a.m.

I guess my underlying disdain for the Carolina Squat (and can we throw hellaflush in too?) is the inherent safety danger not only to the car/truck's occupants, but also the passengers around them.  They're all rolling hazards, and I wish normal inspection protocol would outlaw it.  I see the gassers and pre-runners as equally silly to be plated and driven on the street, but at least they can be driven in a somewhat normal and predictable fashion. 

Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know.  

captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
6/14/21 11:53 a.m.

I was just being contrarian. Sometimes it's a curse. I'll gladly straddle the fence on this subject.

pirate
pirate HalfDork
6/14/21 12:09 p.m.

Class legal Gassers are somewhat limited to how high the front end can be by a mandatory maximum measurement from the centerline of the crankshaft to the ground. Street poser gassers maybe another story. Still I have never seen a gasser (legal or poser) with the nose so exaggerated as these squatted trucks.

These squatted trucks seem to be an exaggeration of the lowered trucks on air bags that would lower the rear ends while driving creating a shower of sparks. There is an event in Biloxi , MS called Scrapen' the Coast with all that going on. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ax60o5ZGqw

Tyler H (Forum Supporter)
Tyler H (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/14/21 12:16 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

Some of those trucks were doing about 60 mph on 95...  some had the front end sooo high and little tires on the rear that I didn't understand how people could see out of them.

Hmm...off to market a back-up camera, but for the FRONT.  I'll call it Squatlyfe and supplement with a head's-up display.

captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
6/14/21 12:36 p.m.

A private passenger automobile shall not be modified or altered by (i) elevating the automobile more than 3 inches from the manufacturer’s specified height in the front and (ii) lowering the automobile more than 2 inches from the manufacturer’s specified height in the rear.

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
6/14/21 12:46 p.m.

The squatted trucks have an extreme visibility problem, and even folks that like them would be lying, if they tried to say they do not. 
Although the gasser posted has a bit of that, there are magnitudes of difference in amount. 
The extended cab ford dent side, I have no clue why it's included at all

BTW, never seen that ford.. AWESOME truck. Has been one of my favorite bodystyle since they came out in '73. 

captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
6/14/21 12:54 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

I agree. It's a bad situation. I haven't personally sat behind the wheel of one so I can only speculate.

But by the dimensions listed above and lack of clarity even those two examples could be under scrutiny. I own neither so I'm good. I also know a cop will typically use that law to target the squatters but who knows?

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
6/14/21 1:18 p.m.
captainawesome said:

A private passenger automobile shall not be modified or altered by (i) elevating the automobile more than 3 inches from the manufacturer’s specified height in the front and (ii) lowering the automobile more than 2 inches from the manufacturer’s specified height in the rear.

I have stayed out of the legal side of the question; my stanc on all laws is "enforce the laws you do have, correctly, before writing more. "

Just for info. , is the above from an old law, or the proposed one?

captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
6/14/21 1:25 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

That's the proposed new one.

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
6/14/21 1:34 p.m.

Taken as worded in excerpt, a 6" lift on all 4 corners, for the 4wd crowd, or a 4" drop on all 4 corners, for those that want that, would not be a problem. But the fine print, and whatever they decide to piggyback... well....

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
6/14/21 1:40 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

Take action to stop the egregious dangerous things like Carolina squat, Coal rolling, 20deg negative camber with 185 section times on 14" wheels off the road before you end up like many parts of Europe or Australia where you need to jump through massive hurdles to fit any modification to your car.  

If you write legislation directed at every specific thing, eventually you will get to this point.

IMO, laws need to be directed at the specific aspects of the behavior that are either unsafe, or unpleasant to others.  Inability to see in front, obnoxiously loud, etc.

1 ... 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XaKQH7GfO3a0T5g416aQZL0vap1OSyaMtyiaVb3fpRLBpmlhupBS4yR9VewTZkJb