1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Supercoupe
Supercoupe Reader
1/7/10 4:23 p.m.

We have two Lotus 7's in the shop right now, a 63 and a 60. If anyone want's any original measurements, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

They're both running Cosworth motors and the earlier is being stripped down to the tub for refurbishing.

I would like to build one also but my welding skills need to improve first.

Coneman
Coneman New Reader
1/9/10 12:27 p.m.

I have also been looking into building a locost based roadster but due to my size (6'4" 270 lbs) I have ruled out the smaller Lotus sized 7. I was wondering if anyone in the Toronto area has built a Seven using the 442 frame demensions would mind if I could take a look at it and possibly sit in the car to see if I physically fit into it?

JoeyM
JoeyM Reader
1/9/10 1:47 p.m.
Coneman wrote: I was wondering if anyone in the Toronto area has built a Seven using the 442 frame demensions would mind if I could take a look at it and possibly sit in the car to see if I physically fit into it?

If nobody in your area has one to try, you could easily look at the +442 plans....

...to cut and tape together some cardboard boxes into the shape and size of a +442 chassis and try sitting inside. It's not as much fun as getting around the real car, but at least you will be able to get an idea.

Coneman
Coneman New Reader
1/9/10 6:28 p.m.

That's not a bad idea. I'll have to go and raid the recycle bin at work for enough cardboard

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/14/10 4:53 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote: I am seriously contemplating starting a locost build and the frame sizes is something I have been considering. From reading on Keith's site and seeing SkinnyG's car I know I want the scuttle moved back, but "lotus size" vs "book size"... I am 6'2" 150lbs and wonder which way I should go with it.

FWIW, I am around 6'2", longer legs/shorter torso, and 210 pounds, and while I have fit myself into a Caterham (Lotus Series 3 size) a couple times, there is no way I could drive one...the steering wheel had been taken off, my legs were jammed in to the pedalbox, knees banging on everything, and not enough room to move my legs or feet to actually operate the pedals....it was all I could do just to get in there. At my current weight, the chassis side/trans. tunnel really squeeze me way too tight. At the same height and 165 pounds (yes, it was a decade ago or so) the fit was almost tolerable for width, but still just way too short in the footwell.

Rusnak_322 wrote: Not exactly low cost, but if you are needing inspiration on making a seven rep look better, then check out these guys - Donkervoort D8 GT

The Donkervoorts are nicely made and a very interesting take on an update to the Seven, but I prefer either a more classic look or else an altogether new look on the same type of chassis. Up until recently, I always liked the idea of something closed wheel like a Caterham 21 or a Sylva Phoenix/Fisher Fury, but then I came across the Zolfe Orange. The Zolfe isn't low cost either, but what a looker! It is really nicely reminscent of a 60's TVR or the one-off Lotus Elite fastback from the 60's, with some Opel GT and Datsun 240z cues incorporated also. The car is the current project of the longtime technical director from Caterham. Too bad I don't have the budget for one, but it is nice to drool over while I plan my own locost build.

Sylva Fury:

Caterham 21:

Zolfe Orange:

I haven't contacted Zolfe as I am not that serious about getting one, but they are supposed to be selling them Stateside through a couple of dealers.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/14/10 5:28 p.m.

In reply to ae86andkp61:

I think its worth mentioning that in this same vein Curtis Unlimited is reported to offer high quality Lotus 19 and Elva mk7 bodies. The Lotus is supposed to be $3000 not sure about the Elva but DO WANT.

tuna55
tuna55 Reader
1/14/10 6:26 p.m.

Are all of those available as just bodies? Sounds like fun. Better aero than the 7 too.

kb58
kb58 Reader
1/14/10 8:30 p.m.

I hope you aren't planning on driving a Lotus 23 type car on the road. The top of your head is around 30" off the ground. Any closer than 50 feet to the sides or rear of an SUV and soccer-Mom on cellphone can't see you.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/14/10 8:33 p.m.

It sounds like Curtis Unlimited is the only one available as just a body. I just like the others as inspiration. The Caterham 21 is out of production after a short and not very successful life about 10 years ago, but was basically an enclosed (and upmarket) Caterham Seven. The Zolfe Orange is a brand new "kit car" which I believe will typically be sold as a complete roller minus engine/trans...not sharing a chassis with a Sevenesque, but from the minds of people who have lots of experience with the Seven. The Sylva (later sold to Fisher) was an enclosed version of their Seven-esque Striker...same chassis/suspension AFAIK. There were lots of versions of this car over the years, and I believe the current American dealer is a GRM advertiser named Galek Motorsports...might be worth contacting them to see if bodies are available alone or if they are only sold on a replacement basis.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
1/14/10 9:19 p.m.
kb58 wrote: I hope you aren't planning on driving a Lotus 23 type car on the road. The top of your head is around 30" off the ground. Any closer than 50 feet to the sides or rear of an SUV and soccer-Mom on cellphone can't see you.

Easily solved by this:

Or this :

RedS13Coupe
RedS13Coupe Reader
1/15/10 5:56 a.m.
MrJoshua wrote:
kb58 wrote: I hope you aren't planning on driving a Lotus 23 type car on the road. The top of your head is around 30" off the ground. Any closer than 50 feet to the sides or rear of an SUV and soccer-Mom on cellphone can't see you.
Easily solved by this: Or this :

Or by using the loud pedal to move away from said SUV ;)

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/15/10 9:33 a.m.
FWIW, I am around 6'2", longer legs/shorter torso, and 210 pounds, and while I have fit myself into a Caterham (Lotus Series 3 size) a couple times, there is no way I could drive one...the steering wheel had been taken off, my legs were jammed in to the pedalbox, knees banging on everything, and not enough room to move my legs or feet to actually operate the pedals....it was all I could do just to get in there. At my current weight, the chassis side/trans. tunnel really squeeze me way too tight. At the same height and 165 pounds (yes, it was a decade ago or so) the fit was almost tolerable for width, but still just way too short in the footwell.

Prospective builders should really pay heed to this. I'm 5'-11" 205 lbs and the Stalker was just wide enough for me (admitedly I do have wide, girly hips. I've heard of 250 pounders fitting OK), and while there was plenty of room to work the foot pedals, there wasn't any footwell space not taken by pedals, which meant no dead pedal, and the leg operating the clutch/brake had to be flexed when cruising, which wasn't altogether comfortable. Also, while I didn't have any problems with knee clearance, some Locosters have mentioned that as a problem as well.

Consider that the Stalker is larger than book size. Make damn sure that you fit what you build.

alfadriver
alfadriver Dork
1/15/10 9:41 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: Are all of those available as just bodies? Sounds like fun. Better aero than the 7 too.

What about an old Vette body? Cut the outer shell off the rest, and you can then cut and paste to fit.... I've seen the glass for sale for well under $1000 on e-bay.

E-

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/15/10 10:09 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: What about an old Vette body? Cut the outer shell off the rest, and you can then cut and paste to fit.... I've seen the glass for sale for well under $1000 on e-bay.

There was a guy trying to sell the glass from a Miami Vice Ferrari for some time around here. Far too much of a poseur car for me, but it might have been fun to make it a track dog.

tuna55
tuna55 Reader
1/15/10 11:45 a.m.
alfadriver wrote:
tuna55 wrote: Are all of those available as just bodies? Sounds like fun. Better aero than the 7 too.
What about an old Vette body? Cut the outer shell off the rest, and you can then cut and paste to fit.... I've seen the glass for sale for well under $1000 on e-bay. E-

I love vettes, I really do, but that's not nearly as pretty as the Caterham or the Sylva. Not to mention the size differential.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Reader
1/15/10 9:16 p.m.

With a 'vette, I'd build a Cheetah in a heartbeat.

alfadriver
alfadriver Dork
1/17/10 10:35 a.m.
tuna55 wrote:
alfadriver wrote:
What about an old Vette body? Cut the outer shell off the rest, and you can then cut and paste to fit.... I've seen the glass for sale for well under $1000 on e-bay. E-
I love vettes, I really do, but that's not nearly as pretty as the Caterham or the Sylva. Not to mention the size differential.

But if you want a locost cost with a full body... It's just a shell- so cut and paste. Time consuming, for sure, but with glass, it's fairly straight forward.

I would shorten it quite a bit in the door area- and it would probably need narrowing. Again, the point is to use the old body shell, and not the rest of the glass chassis.

E-

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
1/17/10 11:40 a.m.

I hear you can get a lola mk1 body from Curtis Unlimited for $2k

That + bike motor would = awesome

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
1/18/10 12:57 a.m.

Well I finally got around to making chalk marks on my workshop floor and testing my fit a bit.

I can really see how people wont fit in these. I have a 32" waist and it wont be roomy by any means. I mocked up SkinnyG's 3" change and it seems like it will be fine giving 4-5 inches for pedals.

time to start aligning the supplies to start this after the next semester of school!

tuna55
tuna55 Reader
1/18/10 7:09 a.m.
Apexcarver wrote: I hear you can get a lola mk1 body from Curtis Unlimited for $2k That + bike motor would = awesome

WOW!

That + anything = awesome. I need one. Now. Darn shame they don't have a website so I could peruse...

RossD
RossD Dork
1/18/10 8:44 a.m.
kb58
kb58 Reader
1/18/10 11:07 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: ... WOW! That + anything = awesome. I need one. Now. Darn shame they don't have a website so I could peruse...

It gets a lot of its looks with its very low hood line. Any powerplant taller than (I suspect) an BMC OHV sidedraft engine will stick out the hood. Not sure how the height of those compares to a modern bike engine.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/18/10 11:14 a.m.
kb58 wrote:
tuna55 wrote: ... WOW! That + anything = awesome. I need one. Now. Darn shame they don't have a website so I could peruse...
It gets a lot of its looks with its very low hood line. Any powerplant taller than (I suspect) an BMC OHV sidedraft engine will stick out the hood. Not sure how the height of those compares to a modern bike engine.

A Subbie Flat four? Wouldn't even need a turbo on something that light.

kb58
kb58 Reader
1/18/10 11:55 a.m.

I read somewhere that a full Subi drivetrain is almost 3 feet across, but I've never measured one. It's why it isn't used in Locosts, but that's only because builders aren't looking at it the right way. Why not build the chassis round the engine? I think it would be kinda cool having the cylinder heads sticking out the sides.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
1/18/10 12:10 p.m.

I was talking to a buddy who is a subaru mechanic and was looking into it, bigger problem acording to him is the size of the trans.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7qsvF4CMTpbPwqILnGKeNropWQZT1FTRtugKDy4jDOPqcZrzrxZ3thXTvK6lVWTI