integraguy
integraguy SuperDork
10/23/11 1:40 p.m.

I opened my local "autotrader" type magazine this morning and found an ad for the new Caprice that had been placed by one of the local Chevy dealers here in Jacksonville, Fl. I haven't been to the website yet, but the asking price is $32,000. No idea if that is a V8 model, but one reason why I wasn't in a big hurry to check the car out was that, to me, it looks TOO much like the recently departed G8. And the car being advertised is SILVER...might as well be beige. I'd rather try to find one of the rare (if they even exist?) G8s with a manual transmission.

Jerry Hamm Chevrolet....no connection of any kind.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Reader
10/23/11 1:49 p.m.

Wow they have two both "used" one with 2909 and one with 50 on the odo. My guess would be they are trying to work around the "police only" part since they know some of the GP wants them.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
10/23/11 1:56 p.m.

awesome. they didn't even crush it first

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
10/23/11 2:19 p.m.

Assuming the price could be kept low enough, I'm sure there'd be some interest from the general populace for these. Then again, a few grand at auction in 5 years for a used model would be better.

/cheap

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
10/23/11 2:26 p.m.

Like every company, there is some form of a sales loophole.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/23/11 2:56 p.m.

i was under the impression that all are 6.0 cars with a v6 to follow later

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Dork
10/23/11 4:20 p.m.

I hope they don't intend to sell the fleet models for over 30,000. I would find it hard to believe a department would re-outfit with prices that high.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
10/23/11 7:33 p.m.

ewwww....looks like a bad early 2000s kia or some cheap no name korean/ cheap car.

not too impressed with the one in the pic. front end on it sucks

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/23/11 7:44 p.m.

I am sure it looks tougher with a lightbar, big tyres, and a pushbar

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Dork
10/23/11 7:50 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I am sure it looks tougher with a lightbar, big tyres, and a pushbar

Are you?

Here is a thread I posted not too long ago about all the new police models.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
10/23/11 8:09 p.m.

I have a friend who is in charge of city vehicle purchasing for a largish city here in Michigan. He checked into the new Caprice and was told by GM that the V8 model will not be available for sale until next June. Don't know if that's just the police package or just in general.

As a side note my friend ordered six Taurus SHOs AWD instead. Don't try and get away in that town.

junkbuggie
junkbuggie Reader
10/23/11 8:18 p.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: ewwww....looks like a bad early 2000s kia or some cheap no name korean/ cheap car. not too impressed with the one in the pic. front end on it sucks

That is why I like them. I will take mine in beige with steel wheels please.

slefain
slefain SuperDork
10/23/11 8:24 p.m.

Jim Ellis Chevy has a bunch of them on Peachtree Industrial. I'm tempted to go ask for a test drive.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
10/23/11 8:52 p.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: ewwww....looks like a bad early 2000s kia or some cheap no name korean/ cheap car. not too impressed with the one in the pic. front end on it sucks

Looks better with a Holden grille

novaderrik
novaderrik Dork
10/23/11 9:32 p.m.
Feedyurhed wrote: I have a friend who is in charge of city vehicle purchasing for a largish city here in Michigan. He checked into the new Caprice and was told by GM that the V8 model will not be available for sale until next June. Don't know if that's just the police package or just in general. As a side note my friend ordered six Taurus SHOs AWD instead. Don't try and get away in that town.

the Caprice is a police package- that car isn't supposed to be sold to civilians at all. a few dealers got in big trouble with GM for sneaking a few of them out to the general public..

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Dork
10/23/11 9:42 p.m.
novaderrik wrote:
Feedyurhed wrote: I have a friend who is in charge of city vehicle purchasing for a largish city here in Michigan. He checked into the new Caprice and was told by GM that the V8 model will not be available for sale until next June. Don't know if that's just the police package or just in general. As a side note my friend ordered six Taurus SHOs AWD instead. Don't try and get away in that town.
the Caprice is a police package- that car isn't supposed to be sold to civilians at all. a few dealers got in big trouble with GM for sneaking a few of them out to the general public..

I'm sure the dealers state of mind is if there is money to make, rules are made to be broken.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
10/23/11 9:44 p.m.

I'm sorry, I just can't get excited over this thing.

On a side note, have used Police Challengers started showing up yet?

Mental
Mental SuperDork
10/23/11 9:51 p.m.

Saw them in the middle east. They are G8s. They even had the Bathhurst version from Top Gear but it was called something else. I want to say SS

junkbuggie
junkbuggie Reader
10/23/11 9:53 p.m.

I would not want one the contol arms, inner and outer tie rods go on backorder every other month the car is garbage inside and out. when the update came for 2011 it has the same problems they fixed nothing.

edit the big mopars, not the chevy

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
10/24/11 4:33 a.m.
junkbuggie wrote:
That is why I like them. I will take mine in beige with steel wheels please.
ls1fiero
ls1fiero New Reader
10/25/11 9:33 p.m.

They have been available for several months now. We have seen Detective and Patrol cars. Every one so far has a 6.0. The best looking are the black and the black and white Patrol cars with the little hubcaps. They are NOT available to the public. They are realllllly fun to drive, surprisingly tight. I'd take mine with a Procharger, a little work on the cylinder heads, a full exhaust and a just right window tint. But the real deal is the Tahoe. Absolutely hysterical to drive with plenty of room inside.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Reader
10/28/11 8:16 p.m.

Yep-watched one for sale on ebay about a month ago in FL - all black with no holes and a couple thousand miles at a dealer. 6.0 V8, 6speed auto. Runs on E85 if you'd like.

I'd also go Procharger, exhaust, and slight tint, in all black with the small center caps

familytruckster
familytruckster Reader
10/28/11 9:20 p.m.
novaderrik wrote:

The ones the dealers are selling are cars the fleets don't accept due to damage/flaws. The dealers fixes and sells or sells as is...It's nothing new, could get 2011 vics like that too.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AtL2CoIR8yeJSONtls0OyxefY3Xy9o31tm8nQm9SrNG34qGrufsLyeKuvsE543zH