1 2 3
RossD
RossD UltimaDork
12/13/16 3:11 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote: Is this 3.6 V-6 at 300 hp the same as the VR6 in most of the rest of the VW/Audi/Porsche lineup?

I did some quick research and it appears it has the same V angle as the Porsche V8 (ie different than the V6 from the rest of VAG) so it could be a Porsche only V6.

Although the rear end isn't the best thing ever, I like them a lot more in person than in the pictures. Much like the S-197 Mustangs rear end.

I need to keep these on my radar as I want a 4 seater (two adults & two forward car seats) in the near-ish future.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
12/13/16 3:19 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/rlBQ8XC1eCs

If you can hold out for the V8, there's the Armytrix dual-mode exhaust system. Expensive, but absolutely awesome (and quiet enough with the valves closed not to upset the neighbours too much).

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
12/13/16 3:26 p.m.
lnlogauge wrote:
Driven5 wrote:
lnlogauge wrote: ...but nobody can defend how atrocious this thing looks.
For those who care at all about rear seat headroom, then look at the competing "four door coupes", it starts to make sense why they did what they did...Even if they didn't do as good of a job with it as they could.
No, it doesn't.

A picture of a car with over 2 inches less rear seat headroom than in the rear of the Panamera...Neat.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge Reader
12/13/16 3:36 p.m.
Driven5 wrote:
lnlogauge wrote:
Driven5 wrote:
For those who care at all about rear seat headroom, then look at the competing "four door coupes", it starts to make sense why they did what they did...Even if they didn't do as good of a job with it as they could.
No, it doesn't.
A picture of a car with over 2 inches less rear seat (and over 1 inch less front seat) headroom than in the rear of the Panamera...Neat.

get shorter friends. "over one inch".....

When I look at the 2 cars together, "BUT THE HEADROOM", doesnt come to my mind.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
12/13/16 3:44 p.m.

It may not sound like it to you, but a difference of two inches is a lot in terms of rear seat headroom. Note that the FRS/BRZ has 'only' 1 inch less rear seat headroom than the CLS.

There are plenty of customers in the executive car market to which rear seat accommodations are rather important. Obviously the first generation Panamera design was aimed towards these buyers, even if to a fault.

M030
M030 Dork
12/13/16 4:04 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: I know there's the whole, "You don't see the outside when you drive it" moniker, but I just won't own a car that's ugly to me. The Panamara is ugly.

In reply to Appleseed:

I used to feel the same way, but late-model Porsches are strange in that, to me anyway, the driving experience allows me to forgive however ugly the car may look on the outside. I have two examples of this. One is the Boxster that currently sits in my garage. My first impression was that it was a homely car, but driving it in anger on my favorite twisty back roads made me fall in love. The other is a Porsche I cannot yet afford; a 996 turbo. That car was so fast and so much fun to drive that I could forgive it if it had been designed by BMW's Chris Bangle or whoever did the Pontiac Aztec.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
12/13/16 4:08 p.m.

At this point i actually think the Aztek was just too far ahead of its time. I did think they were ugly at the time. It's too bad as in every other sense they are definitely the coolest midsize crossover suv type thing that GM made in that era.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
12/13/16 4:21 p.m.

The Aztec was the perfect CUV before people really knew they wanted CUV's. Except for the styling, but GM had a LOT of issues with the styling department in that era.
As for the Panamera, unsurprisingly, I want one. In turbo S form though. We have a PCA instructor with one and he always beats me when I drive the V wagon. Granted, he's a better driver than me, but the car is no slouch, and the interior is another planet compared to the Cadillac.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
12/13/16 5:32 p.m.

I kind of like it. I would want turbo s though.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/16 6:56 p.m.

In reply to lnlogauge:

Keep driving those prices down...

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
12/13/16 7:18 p.m.

I rode in a turbo S and completely forgot about how it looked. They're friggin awesome.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/16 7:36 p.m.

I drove an S-model on the Autobahn, then a GT-S. It's an amazing car at high speed and a practically a Lear Jet inside. I'd have one in a heartbeat.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
12/13/16 8:39 p.m.
lnlogauge wrote:
Driven5 wrote:
No, it doesn't.

Nope. Still wrong. Not an executive class back seat by a long shot. Try again!

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/13/16 8:58 p.m.

Let me know when these get down into the $40K range:

lnlogauge
lnlogauge Reader
12/13/16 8:59 p.m.
dculberson wrote:
lnlogauge wrote:
Driven5 wrote:
No, it doesn't.

Executive class back seat wasn't mentioned. Sports sedan was. Fine. Substitute an S class for my pic if that's your requirement. Still 100x better looking.

Again, you people care entirely too much about your passengers.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
12/13/16 9:09 p.m.
lnlogauge wrote:
dculberson wrote:
lnlogauge wrote:
Driven5 wrote:
No, it doesn't.
Executive class back seat wasn't mentioned. Sports sedan was. Fine. Substitute an S class for my pic if that's your requirement. Still 100x better looking. Again, you people care entirely too much about your passengers.

Well, I'm staying out of this arguement.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
12/13/16 10:39 p.m.

In reply to lnlogauge:

Why can't the requirement be both? Because that's what the panamera is; sport sedan with executive class seating including the back seat.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/13/16 11:11 p.m.

The Turbo wing is something to behold. This needs to be standard across the line. The new one is even cooler.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
12/13/16 11:15 p.m.

I care about rear seat passengers so much I've only ever bought two door cars. If I could find a single door car I'd buy it.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/14/16 7:00 a.m.
nutherjrfan wrote: I care about rear seat passengers so much I've only ever bought two door cars. If I could find a single door car I'd buy it.

Here ya go!

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
12/14/16 7:05 a.m.
nutherjrfan wrote: I care about rear seat passengers so much I've only ever bought two door cars. If I could find a single door car I'd buy it.

I like having an executive class car that seats 4-5 comfortably to take coworkers and bosses out to lunch in. And for family use, it's exemplary. My 740i Sport is fun AND comfy for people. My old 740iL was even more comfy for back seat passengers like my 6'4" son...

STM317
STM317 HalfDork
12/14/16 7:41 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: As for the Panamera, unsurprisingly, I want one. In turbo S form though. We have a PCA instructor with one and he always beats me when I drive the V wagon. Granted, he's a better driver than me, but the car is no slouch, and the interior is another planet compared to the Cadillac.

I'd hope it would be better for 3 times the MSRP!

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
12/14/16 7:51 a.m.
lnlogauge wrote: Executive class back seat wasn't mentioned. Sports sedan was. Fine. Substitute an S class for my pic if that's your requirement. Still 100x better looking. Again, you people care entirely too much about your passengers.

Actually neither was mentioned. The only thing that was mentioned was a very expensive Porsche is now less than $40k because of depreciation.

And I do care entirely too much about my passengers; they're my children!

That wagon/hatchback version looks to be a pretty good improvement.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
12/14/16 7:56 a.m.

I have nothing to add other than that Google says these have a towing capacity of 4850 lbs

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/14/16 8:14 a.m.
Ian F wrote: Let me know when these get down into the $40K range:

I forget when this show car originally came out, but looking at it today, it looks like they grafted on the back half of a Macan, which is no bad thing.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0sYTyfLIFmKyehQ7HNubookNfiw4MxhUx5mJxyqcks61RjYTgMDgAJ5qZFhpGnbX