1 2
jpod999
jpod999 Reader
9/2/08 3:24 p.m.

A friend and I went to see another friend who works at a Mazda/Subaru dealer and I spied this car. Thought this group would like to see it, it's the first time I've ever seen one.

Renault Fuego Turbo.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Production Editor
9/2/08 3:35 p.m.

schwing!

I don't care if it's from France, that's a cool car. I don't think I've seen one since 1983 or so. I don't remember the wheels being so Compmotive-ey, either.

Nice find!

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
9/2/08 3:46 p.m.

My friend's older brother had one of those when I was a kid.

He used to buy beer for us. He also thought his Fuego was fast. It was broken all the time, and I think it may have caught fire in the end. We used to make fun of his funny, slow, crappy French car.

Buying us beer wasn't the only time he lacked good sense.

16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
9/2/08 3:55 p.m.

Kind of ironic that a Fuego caught fire.

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Reader
9/2/08 4:02 p.m.

Fuego/Fugly same thing

jpod999
jpod999 Reader
9/2/08 6:19 p.m.

Those are real Zender's by the way.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Reader
9/2/08 6:28 p.m.

They're rare, but only because they couldn't convince more than 3 people to pay money for one!

Seriously, they were pretty crappy cars, but i seem to remember them doing OK in Showroom Stock.

integraguy
integraguy Reader
9/2/08 8:58 p.m.

There is a NON-turbo version of this same car sitting on a used car lot a few miles from my apartment. It's been sitting there for years.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
9/2/08 9:33 p.m.

I thought those things all rusted away by about 1988.

pete240z
pete240z HalfDork
9/2/08 9:55 p.m.

I remember those babies........Le Car, Fuego, Alliance.......how much better can it get?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/2/08 10:12 p.m.

isn't the engine from that the same basic block as what Lotus used in the Europa? I seem to recall the turbo fuego engine being a massive upgrade for the lotus

Josh
Josh Reader
9/2/08 10:36 p.m.

A friend up the street's dad had one of these when I was 8 or so. Red, he always kept it really nice too. One day my friend and I were playing with some darts outside, throwing them at a picnic table or something, and somehow he threw one way up in the air that hit the Fuego square in the sunroof. Shattered it instantly. I didn't play with him for a few weeks after that. My memories are a little hazy, but I think I remember hearing that it cost around $1500 to get it replaced (this in 1989 dollars).

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Reader
9/2/08 10:45 p.m.
jpod999 wrote: Those are real Zender's by the way.

I was gonna say that is a $100 POS on top of damn near a grand worth of wheels

jpod999
jpod999 Reader
9/2/08 11:39 p.m.

Are these car's 4x100?

gamby
gamby SuperDork
9/3/08 12:02 a.m.
ditchdigger wrote:
jpod999 wrote: Those are real Zender's by the way.
I was gonna say that is a $100 POS on top of damn near a grand worth of wheels

+1 on that. Damn, those are rad wheels.

If it's French, the bolt pattern is probably 4X"go away or I shall taunt you a second time"

Haven't seen a Fuego since the early 90's. Killer find and a brave project for someone to take on.

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/3/08 12:17 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: isn't the engine from that the same basic block as what Lotus used in the Europa? I seem to recall the turbo fuego engine being a massive upgrade for the lotus

I think that the Fuego five speed swaps in to the Europa.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/3/08 8:29 p.m.

crap i've been looking for one for years! where is it and how much do they want!!!!!

we had one when i was younger, it's what i learned to drive manual in, and i've been looking for a turbo version for literally the last 12 years.

jpod999
jpod999 Reader
9/4/08 12:45 a.m.

Bay Area, CA.

ww
ww Dork
9/4/08 1:18 a.m.

Damn, where are you in the Bay Area? I'm over in the East Bay in Danville/San Ramon.

I'd love to come and just check out that Fuego.

I don't need anymore projects, but I don't pass up an opportunity to "admire" esoterica.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/4/08 7:50 a.m.

:( all the way across the country.

is it for sale though?

jpod999
jpod999 Reader
9/4/08 12:07 p.m.
ww wrote: Damn, where are you in the Bay Area? I'm over in the East Bay in Danville/San Ramon. I'd love to come and just check out that Fuego. I don't need anymore projects, but I don't pass up an opportunity to "admire" esoterica.

LOL really? That's cool, I live in Walnut Creek...but now I am going to school at Sonoma State.

Just to make it clear, this isn't my car. I just saw it parked and grabbed a picture of it because I thought you guys would appreciate seeing an old turbo french car. It didn't have a for sale sign, but you never know.

Travis_K
Travis_K Reader
9/4/08 12:14 p.m.

There is one of those in a pick your part yard in newark too.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
9/4/08 12:46 p.m.

Oddly enough, our local pick and pull just got a LeCar. It's in the Dodge section.

Dodge = Eagle = Renault....I guess.

Per

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/4/08 1:31 p.m.

Proof that the French should stick to poetry...and nothing else.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
9/4/08 1:34 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Proof that the French should stick to poetry...and nothing else.

The French fight with their feet and f*** with their mouths. I can't vouch for the first but the second ain't bad.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FlIFTE0ypDuAP0fTcOWnSINNWAvLgbMu2z9JQzKqhs1C32tCmkHQyAEJAMXY5I3p