1 2 3 4 5
Rjhasan
Rjhasan New Reader
3/3/14 11:46 a.m.
HiTempguy wrote:
Datsun1500 wrote:
HiTempguy wrote: At the end of the day, having worked in a Audi and VW shop, they deserve the reputation they have earned. One or two examples on the interwebs does not change that.
Have you ever noticed the guys working in a BMW shop think BMWs are junk? Ford techs think Fords are junk, etc? If it's what you repair for a living, that's all you see, and get jaded. Most cars are fine as long as you maintain them, most cars break down, if you don't.
I am very not biased vehicle wise. I've owned a little of everything. Its not that VW's/Audi's are junk, its that the E36 M3 that breaks on them is maddening and/or is never really fixed. My BRAND NEW 2004 Gold 2.sl0w, the throwout bearing exploded and the coolant sensor E36 M3 the bed. When the coolant sensor E36 M3 the bed, the car DIED. WTF? Have a fail safe mode It's like the spark plug issue on Ford V8's. Is it a big deal? Yes. But its not THAT bad in that you only do it once. VW's/Audi's puke random parts that make no sense and majorly affect the driving experience (spark plugs in the grand scheme of things aren't a big deal breaker. Window regulators are.)
Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
3/3/14 12:08 p.m.
Teh E36 M3 wrote: Same boat. The new GTI seems perfect, but really gun-shy about it because of the last 15 years reputation that VW has earned. If they offered a longer (like 100K) warranty, I might jump.

If they offered a 100k warranty, the company would be bankrupt in 5 years.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/3/14 12:09 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote: VW's/Audi's puke random parts that make no sense and majorly affect the driving experience

This is my experience.

Bobzilla wrote: If they offered a 100k warranty, the company would be bankrupt in 5 years.

And the reason lots of people dump them before the warranty is up. If they don't, the consumer might go bankrupt trying to keep it on the road.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
3/3/14 12:12 p.m.

Never owned a VW, even though I would like to. But my wife's friend had a NuBeetle (mid-Oughties) and even the dealer couldn't make the CEL stay off. They basically replaced the entire ECU/dash/harness/sensor system (at her expense) before giving up. In Delaware, the CEL is an automatic inspection failure (and they check to make sure you don't remove the lamp) so effectively once her registration expired, the car was worth scrap price at under 100k miles, with nothing directly wrong with it.

My boss has a V8 Touareg that he paid an ungodly amount of money for. It's been in the shop a lot and it is never a cheap fix. It's maybe 5 years old and it's got dozens of little electrical gremlins. Most of the neat little convenience features no longer work. And when you open the hatch (which used to be powered) water pours out through the interior finish panels. It was never wrecked or had the glass broken, it just fills with water.

Just 2 data points among a million, but enough that I don't want to buy my other boss's wife's 2010 GTI when she's done with it, even though it's in great shape.

crankwalk
3/3/14 12:36 p.m.
Duke wrote: And when you open the hatch (which *used* to be powered) water pours out through the interior finish panels. It was never wrecked or had the glass broken, it just fills with water. Just 2 data points among a million, but enough that I don't want to buy my other boss's wife's 2010 GTI when she's done with it, even though it's in great shape.

The water pouring in the interior panels happened to my Jetta. It was a pinhole leak in the taillight that pulled in water under the vacuum of driving. Stationary it wouldn't leak. Took the dealer many tries to figure it out. Hopefully that helps.

Choppa87
Choppa87
3/3/14 2:03 p.m.

Probably going to go against the grain here but GTI's are nice feeling cars for their class but I think there are better cars out there for around the same amount of money. As mentioned, their reliability is a concern and it seems to be hit or miss on whether you get a reliable one or not. Also if you do not live by a good local dealership, sometimes their service can be a bit of a pain and they often do not have parts in stock. If I was going to pay 25k for a car, it wouldn't be GTI, and this is coming from someone who owns one. I picked my 2007 DSG GTI up for 10k in February and it is a nice/fun daily driver but I couldn't image spending over 25k for it. If you want to buy new I would save up and get a Focus ST or the new wrx. Or pick up a uses 2010+ GTI with an extended warranty for about 19k out the door. That's just my opinion though

dankspeed
dankspeed Reader
3/3/14 2:42 p.m.

I have yet to meet a vw owner that doesn't have horror stories about there car. I have a coworker with a newer Passat wagon and the fuel pump went out. There was not a single fuel pump at any of the local vw dealers. It had to be ordered in. What dealer doesn't stock a fuel pump ?

crankwalk
3/3/14 3:35 p.m.
dankspeed wrote: I have yet to meet a vw owner that doesn't have horror stories about there car. I have a coworker with a newer Passat wagon and the fuel pump went out. There was not a single fuel pump at any of the local vw dealers. It had to be ordered in. What dealer doesn't stock a fuel pump ?

If it was a fuel pump that is high pressure and runs off the cam they might have had to replace a lot more than just the pump and were waiting on all the extra parts that go with that job.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
3/3/14 3:49 p.m.
dankspeed wrote: I have yet to meet a vw owner that doesn't have horror stories about there car. I have a coworker with a newer Passat wagon and the fuel pump went out. There was not a single fuel pump at any of the local vw dealers. It had to be ordered in. What dealer doesn't stock a fuel pump ?

Just about every one that isn't selling domestics. I know we don't. I've sold 1 fuel pump in almost 10 years for a Honda. One. Uno. Single.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
3/3/14 3:52 p.m.

I'm pretty much convinced not to get one, unless it's an awesome deal. It felt more premium than anything else I've driven recently, and I might get lucky and get a good one, but I'm not willing to gamble that much.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/3/14 4:03 p.m.

My 2004 WRX was 100% reliable from mile 1 to mile 128,000 when I sold it and completely free of squeaks and rattles. I never babied that car either. I would consider the interior to be pretty stout, though nowhere near as nice a VW.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
3/3/14 4:20 p.m.
dankspeed wrote: I have yet to meet a vw owner that doesn't have horror stories about there car.

Well then, pleased to meet you.

I own a 2003 Jetta that has been largely trouble-free for over 10 years and 300K+ miles. It has never been to the dealer for anything (even recall work was simple enough that I decided it was easier to DIY).

That said, I am still gun-shy of new VAG products (Euro cars in general, really) and don't recommend them to most car buyers.

peabody
peabody New Reader
3/3/14 4:37 p.m.

In reply to kanaric: Subaru's = head gaskets

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/3/14 4:45 p.m.

I loved my 09 gti and its dsg right up until the dsg pooped itself and the dealer couldn't fix it.

Right now I need to change the timing belt on my saabaru and I'll probably change the head gasket at the same time to get rid of the oil leak. And I'll probably port oil returns and the intake on the heads at the same time. And I need to replace the strut top mounts. And I need to re-bush the end links. And the clutch fork is squeaking etc etc etc

I think I'm ready to just buy an appliance.

plance1
plance1 Dork
3/3/14 8:06 p.m.

I always liked those R32's, are those any good?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
3/3/14 8:34 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
mr2peak wrote: If VW starts making amazing cars, why would people buy Audis?
See... that's the trick. They are great cars. The Passat I had and my sister's S6 traded bursts of awesome for a really short duty cycle. I've never hated a car I liked so much.

This quote describes my wife's Audi experience as well. Love and loathe.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
3/3/14 8:38 p.m.
plance1 wrote: I always liked those R32's, are those any good?

They are if you're a VW tech and want to buy a new boat.

turtl631
turtl631 New Reader
3/4/14 7:36 a.m.

Reading this makes me glad we opted for an auto Mazda3 hatch last year for my wife's car. She doesn't drive stick, so a DSG GTI was appealing as a fun daily driver we could both enjoy. The Mazda is fun enough, the auto trans is decent, and we've had 0 issues thus far (15k miles).

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
3/4/14 8:07 a.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote:
plance1 wrote: I always liked those R32's, are those any good?
They are if you're a VW tech and want to buy a new boat.

I've never got this. My next door neighbor and many people in the local Porsche club all drive 04 R32's. No major problems. The biggest issue is the gas gauge not working properly, so you have to zero the odometer. A couple of coil packs between them, other than that it's basic maintenance. These cars are all DD's for the last 12 years and still going strong. If I wasn’t a Ford employee I’d probably have one too as my DD. Stunningly good all round daily drivers with awesome seats and I love the Haldex for unobtrusive AWD.

Now, from my and other friends experience the one brand of car you really want to stay away from is Toyota, but according to internet lore they are the most reliable thing since gravity.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
3/4/14 8:21 a.m.

I showed the wife the '15 GTI- her two comments:
1. I don't like the plaid seats (I almost served her papers immediately, but talked myself off the ledge)
2. Does it come with AWD?

To which I responded:
1. 10, 9, 8, 7.... Are you sure you want to be my wife?
2. Well.... there is another "golf" that is AWD and doesn't have plaid seats.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
3/4/14 8:23 a.m.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
3/4/14 8:24 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Now, from my and other friends experience the one brand of car you really want to stay away from is Toyota, but according to internet lore they are the most reliable thing since gravity.

Pretty much any "major" japanese brand since the mid to late 90's. (Toyota, Hondar, Mitsu, Mazda). Have yet to run across someone with one of those major brands that has had an inexpensive ownership experience.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
3/4/14 8:26 a.m.

Seriously though, the interiors on these are fantastic... I had no idea until the auto show- wasn't really interested in VW's at all, but on a whim took a seat, and man...wow. Cage that with coming from a 12 year old subaru and 18 year old BMW, but even among other non-premium manufacturers, this is a whole other league.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
3/4/14 8:29 a.m.
Teh E36 M3 wrote: Seriously though, the interiors on these are fantastic... I had no idea until the auto show- wasn't really interested in VW's at all, but on a whim took a seat, and man...wow. Cage that with coming from a 12 year old subaru and 18 year old BMW, but even among other non-premium manufacturers, this is a whole other league.

Well, at least you'll have a nice place to sit while waiting for the tow truck.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
3/4/14 8:34 a.m.

A friend has the A3 TDi and it really is a fantastic place to wait for the tow truck. It has the nicest wheel/seat combo I've seen this side of a Porsche.

He has had good luck with it and only had one non-scheduled dealer visit I'm aware of... but it did involve a flat bed.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nwKYKKqmzgIdW2mHAwFNYnr6H3KwJ13GdaS2FwrsFSHlwKRIkhJ4WcLSu7h6aZgD