Taiden
Taiden UltraDork
6/4/14 1:07 p.m.

Hey all,

I'm possibly trading a motorcycle for a 93 wrangler. Craigslist ad can be found here: http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/4455687461.html

I've never owned or inspected a Wrangler for purchase. What are some key things I should be aware of when I check it out? This will also be my first body-on-frame vehicle, so any tips regarding inspecting that kind of chassis will be much appreciated.

solfly
solfly Reader
6/4/14 3:06 p.m.

frame rot, especially in the rear beside the fuel tank

cdowd
cdowd HalfDork
6/5/14 1:01 p.m.

That diamond plate on the fenders is covering rust. The rear frame as mentioned. The seams in the back by the tailgate. Floors. Rockers. fenders are easy bolt on and cheap though.

Fobroader
Fobroader Reader
6/5/14 2:02 p.m.

Leaf spring mounts, rear frame and the transmissions were never a strongpoint. That particular one, the leafs are shot, fenders are probably shot, those tires are going to be very hard on the front axle unit bearings. They are all easy and fairly inexpensive fixes.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/5/14 2:11 p.m.

Look for twin machine gun mounts. Probably a long shot, but man would that be cool!

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/5/14 10:23 p.m.

But it does have the 4.0L so it will still be running when the body and frame return to the earth.

I hope you are not looking for any type of refinement because there isn't any in a YJ haha. That being said, the first time you take the doors and top off, you won't care. Jeeps like this are best to fix the structural/easy rust and just drive it until the wheels fall off.

Is it in your driveway yet?

Taiden
Taiden UltraDork
6/6/14 7:10 a.m.

I'm looking for something to throw camping stuff in the back, and go get lost in the woods or on the coast for a couple of days during the summer. I'm a little concerned it wont actually be any more capable offroad compared to my XJ, but that it will just be a smaller version without a top. As a second vehicle, though, I won't be as scared to beat on it a little more.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
6/6/14 10:15 a.m.

YJs didn't get galvanized tubs until '95, some say a hand full of late '94 models were too. I'll second cdowd, that diamond plate is hiding rot. Based on the pictures, and location I wouldn't expect there to be much of a frame left under it.

Dana 30 front is going to be the troublesome vacuum disconnect (CAD) style. There are fixes for that though.

YJ is a gussied up CJ-7, debatable, a little nicer interior, but not much refinement otherwise.

Huge aftermarket support though, owning an XJ I'm sure you already know that.

• Lee
Taiden
Taiden UltraDork
6/13/14 11:20 a.m.

Frame was toasty. Going to work on the XJ instead.

Fobroader
Fobroader Reader
6/13/14 11:41 a.m.

If the body and drivetrain were in good shape, this is always an option. Not only do you get a good frame you lose those gawdawful leaf springs.

http://www.throttledownkustoms.com/framesHybrid.html

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/14/14 12:57 p.m.

Look for a T in the grill. Then you'll know it's reliable

Taiden
Taiden UltraDork
6/15/14 7:33 a.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago:

And the dealer will replace the frame too, right?!

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/17/14 11:26 a.m.
Taiden wrote: In reply to thatsnowinnebago: And the dealer will replace the frame too, right?!

Nothing but top-notch customer service!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qKShGcUsMLhXioYe370lleSLLwQGoSf9oObNUGPXGS2vTS1HttrgWR7XRBR9oyJZ