EfiniMotorsport
EfiniMotorsport New Reader
2/3/20 9:24 p.m.

I'm setting up the steering on my  VW Beetle based sand rail and need to figure out a way to set up the tie rods. Instead of running a short tie rod on the driver side and a long one on the passenger side I'm going to run two long rods to help eliminate bump steer. The passenger side will mount like stock except with heim joints. The passenger side will go from the knuckle and run up to the passenger side rod basically making a Y setup. I'm trying to figure out how to join the two rods. I don't want to do a hole through the bar if I can help it because I don't want to weaken the bar and I'll loose some fine adjustment because I'll have to turn the heim joints themselves in 90 degree increments. Ideally I'd like to find this style clamp but it doesn't look like anyone makes it for 1" tube. I can weld a nut to it or thread it for a 1/2" bolt through the heim.

https://www.vividracing.com/tube-clamp-125-inch-bolts-ballistic-fabrication-p-152423636.html

I like the look of this style but I don't think it would have enough clamping force to be used on the steering. The rail weighs about 1300lbs and most of that weight is in the rear, not sure if it will make any difference though.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/All-In-One-Roll-Bar-Accessory-Clamps,42491.html?sku=91032866-1

This is my last choice mainly because I think it's an ugly solution. 

https://pitstopusa.com/i-14482527-ub-machine-shock-mount-clamp-on-1-tube.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&scid=scplp14482527&sc_intid=14482527&gclid=Cj0KCQiApt_xBRDxARIsAAMUMu8icwppWZpSgsr8QLuD5hTomfFNpSk_sMO986TsyG4F0grsKrih-0kaAjjmEALw_wcB

If anyone knows where I can find a 1" tube clamp or has any other ideas please let me know. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/3/20 9:37 p.m.

Find pipe with a 1" ID, cut it in half, find a couple clamping u joints from McMaster and weld them to that pipe?

Would work till you could find a more elegant solution. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/3/20 9:37 p.m.

I'm not sure if atv use 1 inch roll cage tubing.  Maybe look for something for that?

Or look at mcmastercar.com

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/3/20 9:40 p.m.

Any reason these wouldn't work?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GWFZ79F/

tr8todd
tr8todd SuperDork
2/4/20 5:13 a.m.

How about that clampy thing holding bicycle handlebars and seats?  Those look to be around 1" tubing.  Short of that there are plumbing clamps that are designed to hold 1" water pipe and gas pipe.  Remember that 1" refers to the inner diameter, so 1" copper has an outer diameter of around 1 3/16" and 1" black or galvi pipe has an OD closer to 1 3/8".  The hangers I am refering to have a threaded hole to screw in 3/8" threaded rod to hang the pipes from.  They are called F&M hangers.

EfiniMotorsport
2/4/20 6:55 a.m.

Mr ass, my worry with something like that is they may not be strong enough to take the force of the steering or if I hit a bump. Same problem with some of the bike and ATV clamps. I didnt think to check McMaster's but I'll take a look.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/4/20 7:11 a.m.

Unless I'm missing something in your description, I think you are asking for a non threaded clamp to use to connect a tie rod to another tie rod.  That sounds like you want to build a setup like solid axle trucks use, except likely to come apart at a most inopportune time.

I'd look at light duty older 4x4 truck parts.

Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
2/4/20 8:02 a.m.

Maybe I'm not understanding or I'm just being Prudence the Safety Goat, but I don't think I'd feel comfortable just clamping on the OD of a tube that's effectively the tie rod end.

Can you post up some pictures of the setup?  Steering forces are relatively low, but the consequence of loosing steering control is relatively high.

EfiniMotorsport
2/4/20 9:12 a.m.

Here is the two tie rods laid in place. Originally I was going to weld in something where the driver tie rod connects to the passenger side but I'm worried about weakening the tie rod. It also makes it so I dont have as fine of adjustment of the passenger side tie rod. One other idea is to get a piece of 1.5" solid square stock about 2" long and either drill a 1" hole in it, slide it over the tie rod and weld it in place. Then I can drill and tap that for the mounting bolt for the inboard driver side heim. 

EfiniMotorsport
2/4/20 10:10 p.m.

After looking for a few days I found one person on ebay that has the right clamp for 1" tubing. Had to buy two of them but at least I've got what I need. Thanks for the help

mw
mw Dork
2/5/20 4:45 a.m.

https://hawkmachine.com/t/pinch-clamps

this place is great if you need any 1" clamps. Makes lots of stuff for dwarf cars. I've bought from them and was impressed with the quality 

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
2/5/20 6:44 p.m.

MW nailed it.  Hawk machine.  Sadly Dave the founder pasted but the family carries on the work.

EfiniMotorsport
2/16/20 12:10 p.m.

They do have a lot of good stuff. Probably could have used a few different style of clamps to achieve the same goal. I ended up ordering two of the barrel clamps. Welding a nut to made the rod end sit funny so I'm going to drill and tap the other one. Between the 6 bolts holding it together plus the 1/2" bolt acting as a set screw I dont think it's going anywhere.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZVa4JBxOGxNkQ1jgoKygYN7PJxTiyr3p0AHjh4cS5QsdpMkqCWMOkuq3BqJ7ySPc