glyn ellis
glyn ellis New Reader
4/26/22 11:53 a.m.

I'm shopping for a rolling tire rack for my home garage, and need to hold at least 6 wheels and tires, each around 11.5" wide (rear wheels/tires from a C5 Z06 with 295/35-18).

From a web search, I found the Tire Rack rolling storage rack that will hold 8 wheels, but it's a little bit long for where I want to store it. Its also a little bit spendy

On Amazon, I found a Sunix rack for 6 wheels ( Amazon Amazon ) that would fit my wheels, but I'm not sure how sturdy it is. I need to move wheels from my garage to the house, and don't want to have an unstable stack that's top heavy

Does anyone have any good solutions for a rack that holds 6 wheels? Unfortunately, I don't own a welder and/or pipe bender (yet......)

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/26/22 12:41 p.m.

Could you repurpose a firewood rack?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/26/22 12:50 p.m.

Know any endurance race teams either upgrading or closing up shop? 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/26/22 1:01 p.m.

I'm partial to pre-loved steel bed frames and 4" caster wheels.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/26/22 1:18 p.m.

I don't have anything useful to add, but I have to ask...

Why SIX wheels?  Are you racing a dually?  Or a pair of Morgan three-wheelers? :)

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
4/26/22 2:32 p.m.

I don't know if this is stable enough for you, but what I've done in the past is stack them flat on a furniture dolly then secure them with a ratchet strap. $15 total at Harbor Freight or the like, and as compact as it gets. Sure if you're careless it can tip over, but put it in a corner and it's not falling over no how.

30 In x 18 In 1000 lb. Capacity Hardwood Dolly

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
4/26/22 2:43 p.m.

Look on Craigslist for free or cheap pallet racks , the  uprights will need to be narrowed, 

but the crossbeans come in all sizes , 4ft and up

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
4/26/22 4:04 p.m.

I stack mine on furniture dollies.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/26/22 10:32 p.m.
dculberson said:

I don't know if this is stable enough for you, but what I've done in the past is stack them flat on a furniture dolly then secure them with a ratchet strap. $15 total at Harbor Freight or the like, and as compact as it gets. Sure if you're careless it can tip over, but put it in a corner and it's not falling over no how.

30 In x 18 In 1000 lb. Capacity Hardwood Dolly

For any tires that don't fit on my wall mounted rack, I do this. 

Except minus the ratchet strap.

glyn ellis
glyn ellis New Reader
4/28/22 10:47 a.m.

I was using the HF furniture dollies quite happily, until I ran over a stone on my garage floor and the stack of 4 toppled towards my 911. Fortunately, they bounced away from the car. This is the event that made me look for a better solution. 

glyn ellis
glyn ellis New Reader
4/28/22 10:49 a.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

I have 6 track wheels and tires. I guess running dual rear wheels would help solve any oversteer issues, though!

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
4/28/22 11:32 a.m.
glyn ellis said:

I was using the HF furniture dollies quite happily, until I ran over a stone on my garage floor and the stack of 4 toppled towards my 911. Fortunately, they bounced away from the car. This is the event that made me look for a better solution. 

Would switching to larger diameter caster wheels on the furniture dollies help?  Probably the cheapest solution.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
4/28/22 11:40 a.m.
eastsideTim said:
glyn ellis said:

Would switching to larger diameter caster wheels on the furniture dollies help?  Probably the cheapest solution.

This is exactly what I did. I went to larger diameter wheels so I can push them over the gap/grooves in the floor (post tension slap).  You can also make a handle that pushes the dolly from the bottom rather than pushing on the tire.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
4/28/22 11:41 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Could you repurpose a firewood rack?

Well you just solved this problem for me. Just bought a home in the panhandle of Florida that had like 3 firewood racks. One will be re-purposed with some HF casters. Thank you. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
4/28/22 11:49 a.m.

Hand truck with fold down extension. 

We move 4 tires at a time routinely with these. Uneven surfaces are no problem. 

6 tires would stack on them easily, but you'd have to work a little to move 6. 

Mustang50
Mustang50 Reader
4/28/22 12:27 p.m.

About 20 yrs. ago I bought a 3 shelf metal industrial rack (5 ft. wide x 2 ft. deep v 5 ft. high) that you normally put plywood on for the shelves.   I put 2x4's the length of the bottom rack (no plywood on that section) .  I also bought four 4 inch castors, 2 swivel and 2 fixed and bolted them to the bottom of the frame.  Installed plywood for the 2 upper shelves that I use for tools and parts.

edizzle89
edizzle89 SuperDork
4/28/22 3:06 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:

I don't have anything useful to add, but I have to ask...

Why SIX wheels?  Are you racing a dually?  Or a pair of Morgan three-wheelers? :)

I would pay good money to see a Morgan 3 wheeler sitting on 11.5" wide wheels all around

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YKTVP3MHQV5bVMssI38alhk9NueNKPRE8rn0MhoHS8kOUeyujDGwoRBe6vFeGIRy