WhiteLX
WhiteLX New Reader
3/7/11 1:21 a.m.

Since I have some new wheels for the XR4Ti, its time to get a new set of tires. Unfortunately, it seems most of the highly rated tires in many tire tests I have read are not available in 215/40R17 size. No Kumho XS, no Hankook V12s, no Nitto NT05s.

It will probably see some autox duty and HPDE1/2 use. I have a set of 16s that will receive R-compounds when i get to that point, so i don't need something super sticky right now. I won't be driving in rain and definitely no snow. I'd like to keep the budget at $125 or less per tire.

These are some of the tires I have been considering:

Yokohama S.drive

Kumho Ecsta LE Sport

Pirelli PZero Nero

Falken FK-452

Continental ExtremeContact DW

BF Goodrich g-Force Sport

The Dunlop Z1 Star Spec and Falken 615K are both out of my price range, but may consider them if they are head and shoulders above the other choices.

I tired to find the Federal 595RS-R, but I haven't had much luck.

Feedback, thoughts, suggestions?

spritedriver28
spritedriver28 New Reader
3/7/11 8:12 a.m.

I've got the Federal 595ss in that size on my MINI and have been pretty pleased with them. Good adhesion, ok wear and can't coomplain at $75 each. I have been buying them through Wheelmax.com. I'm not sure if they have (or can get) the RS-R Federals.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey HalfDork
3/7/11 8:17 a.m.

Can't change the size? I ran into the same problem with my Legacy GT (same tire size too) and just switched to 225/45-17, which has tons and tons of choices and a little more sidewall to make me feel better about pot holes.

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 Reader
3/7/11 8:40 a.m.

For the performance, do the Star Specs. They are worth the price. Trying to go fast on a 'lessor' tire is frustrating at best, and will chew up tires on track at worst.

yamaha
yamaha New Reader
3/7/11 8:59 a.m.

+1 on the star specs, my 235/40r17's lasted 26k on my redline......and that was including autox and drag usuage.....lol

unevolved
unevolved Dork
3/7/11 11:46 a.m.

Another vote for the Z1s. That's become the unofficial tire of our local sports car club for the grip/dollar ratio.

WhiteLX
WhiteLX New Reader
3/7/11 12:17 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: Can't change the size? I ran into the same problem with my Legacy GT (same tire size too) and just switched to 225/45-17, which has tons and tons of choices and a little more sidewall to make me feel better about pot holes.

Unfortunately, no. A 215/45R17 would contact the spring perch on the strut. 225/45R17 would be even worse.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uFaFF8Q2A9ZsBFVXxbNUMAEECHJvrzrafnzf7E6MxMhQseNbTqLIlKoyeqajKN37