1 2 3
bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/13/20 11:37 a.m.

I flew over 100 times in 2019 and had about 45 rental car days. I don't think my life will be going back to the way it was possibly ever.  Just the cost of travel with so many fewer options for flights, rental cars and hotels will make a lot of business models no longer workable. I really need to have a rethink. 

https://www.autoweek.com/news/industry-news/a32416014/hertz-bankruptcy-would-flood-used-car-market/

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/13/20 11:44 a.m.

The floor just dropped out on 2.5 duratec donors (fusions). Cripes.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/13/20 11:45 a.m.

Interesting.  Side note, I have never seen these at a Hertz location.  I must be doing it wrong.

Scott

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
5/13/20 11:48 a.m.

In reply to noddaz :

Yes, the article should be about Lotuses available at Hertz.  Now that's news!  

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/13/20 12:12 p.m.

And as a side thought, just when are the banks going to decide that banks need to make a little less money?  surprise

(yeah, right.)

Scott

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/13/20 12:16 p.m.

They should've purchased the insurance.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/13/20 12:27 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

They should've purchased the insurance.

Doh. 

tuna55 (Forum Supporter)
tuna55 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/13/20 1:13 p.m.

No no, this article should be about how to buy those same Lotuses now at bargain basement prices from Hertz.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/13/20 1:17 p.m.

Excited for dirt cheap beat cars. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/13/20 1:51 p.m.

hertz also has a fleet of C7 Z06s for sale.  seems they got a random assortment of trim levels.  not that i'm spending $65k on a used car, but these could be the GT350H of the decade.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/13/20 1:56 p.m.

No Korean cars in their US fleet. No cares. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
5/13/20 2:33 p.m.

Hertz Lotus cars are available in certain markets like Miami, LA, etc. I've seen them before lined up next to a 911, Z06, and a Hellcat. I travel on average 6 months out of the year and I've used Hertz twice in the last 5 years. They are consistently the most expensive rental car brand and they make the whole process longer than it needs to be for pickup and return unless your one of their elite members. 

Side note - Avis always hooks me up with V8 pony cars when I ask nicely (sans smaller markets like Norfolk, Des Moines, etc). 

dclafleur
dclafleur Reader
5/13/20 3:27 p.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222 :

Its been a few years since I traveled full time but when I did I never ended up with Hertz, the cost difference was always huge and for no apparent benefit. I've been trying to figure out what returning to business travel will look like after all this.

5/13/20 3:50 p.m.
bobzilla said:

A quick jump over to Hertz Car Sales site show that within 1000 miles of my house (the farthest it will search) there are 36,383 Hertz Cars up for sale.  The breakdown by most brand is:

• 8,679 Chevy
  • 5,495 Nissan
  • 4,567 Toyota
  • 3,635 Kia
  • 3,629 Ford
  • 2,369 Jeep
  • 1,857 Dodge
  • 1,602 GMC
  • 1,464 Hyundai

About as many Korean cars combined as they have in Nissans. 

I don't think these numbers represent and volume represent any major sell off.  This seems pretty close to what Hertz is selling on most any given day. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/13/20 4:00 p.m.

I have gotten good rates at Hertz when booked through Delta. Never got a Lotus, though. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
5/13/20 4:08 p.m.

No lotus, but C7, Quattroporte, C63 AMG, XKR, and Ferrari. 

Knowing the things that occurred in each of them, I wouldn't touch any of them with a ten foot pole.

PS: Oddly enough(?) the Quattroporte is the one I'd pick from that list as a "glutton for punishment" daily.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/13/20 5:37 p.m.

All the 2.3l EB mustangs.

If I'm NASA, I'd be writing rules for a spec series now. 

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/13/20 5:39 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

All the 2.3l EB mustangs.

If I'm NASA, I'd be writing rules for a spec series now. 

HMM.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/13/20 11:36 p.m.

SWMBO used to work for a company tied in with Hertz. That company no longer works with Hertz. Something about them not getting paid, and Hertz owing over a million in payouts.

Danny Shields (Forum Supporter)
Danny Shields (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/14/20 5:48 a.m.
poopshovel again said:

No lotus, but C7, Quattroporte, C63 AMG, XKR, and Ferrari. 

Knowing the things that occurred in each of them, I wouldn't touch any of them with a ten foot pole.

PS: Oddly enough(?) the Quattroporte is the one I'd pick from that list as a "glutton for punishment" daily.

Wait...you rented a FERRARI from Hertz? That is awesome! I didn't even know they had the Lotuses (Lotii?). 

5/14/20 8:14 a.m.

Personal observation...

2019 Dodge Caravan GT

Hertz w/ 36k miles: $16,840

Enterprise w/ 31k miles: $19,249

RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter)
RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
5/14/20 8:25 a.m.
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) said:
bobzilla said:

A quick jump over to Hertz Car Sales site show that within 1000 miles of my house (the farthest it will search) there are 36,383 Hertz Cars up for sale.  The breakdown by most brand is:

• 8,679 Chevy
  • 5,495 Nissan
  • 4,567 Toyota
  • 3,635 Kia
  • 3,629 Ford
  • 2,369 Jeep
  • 1,857 Dodge
  • 1,602 GMC
  • 1,464 Hyundai

About as many Korean cars combined as they have in Nissans. 

I don't think these numbers represent and volume represent any major sell off.  This seems pretty close to what Hertz is selling on most any given day. 

I seldom rent a car, but the last time I did - a year ago - I went through Hertz, and got a Kia Optima. 

fanfoy
fanfoy SuperDork
5/14/20 8:31 a.m.

After years of avoiding Hertz for my car rentals (because of multiple bad experiences), I rented with them for my last trip in November....I say let them die.

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
5/14/20 8:52 p.m.

From my experience traveling for work, and using most all rental car companies over the years, and when it comes to customer service Hertz is no Avis, and Avis sucks compared to Enterprise.  Let Hertz fail, in the same way their customer service has failed me in the past.

former520
former520 HalfDork
5/14/20 9:54 p.m.

I am taking a Wrangle from Enterprise for a rip this weekend.  With the emerald club discount, additional damage waiver, it is just over $40 a day.  Can't justify buying one for the few times a year I use it.  Hope this doesn't change things too much, makes it nice to use a city car everyday and snag a truck, tahoe, wrangler, whatever when needed.

'Do it for Dale' may or may not be yelled out several times this weekend.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bh6WLq2rnj4giD4cD5Slki9pSbMQDaVx4wqJltpIc8A1c6O7Q2Bwqk98jvu4F4II