1 2
GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/20/22 11:45 p.m.
pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/21/22 12:00 a.m.

Relative to the outgoing model, I think they nailed the styling. I would probably delete the rear wing if I owned one, but otherwise I like it a lot.

I'm sure it will be impossible to buy one for less than $50k in the real world, so sadly I don't see myself having one anytime soon. But I commend Honda for making it nonetheless.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
7/21/22 12:03 a.m.

I love the interior but the old car actually felt like a R from when I was a kid reading JDM mags. This is too toned down for me. 

pointofdeparture
7/21/22 12:06 a.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

I mean, to be fair, the first few Civic Type Rs looked like this...

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
7/21/22 12:08 a.m.

I know it's my age and experience.

I was drag racing domestics when the fast and the furious came out and I just remember all the edgy "R +" style Honda's of that era. I think this is why I really like the S660. 

pointofdeparture
7/21/22 1:42 a.m.

Journo photos are out in Japanese media: https://response.jp/article/2022/07/21/359919.html

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/21/22 2:18 a.m.

I wonder if this will have any impact on the current Type R. Probably minimal. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/21/22 2:19 a.m.

BTW, I guess I am one of the few that likes both the old and new one. 

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
7/21/22 6:58 a.m.

I prefer the new. Reminds me more of the old EK look

And that interior!

calteg
calteg SuperDork
7/21/22 7:40 a.m.

I like this new one. Pretty high on my list of "cars that will appreciate in a decade"

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
7/21/22 8:37 a.m.

That actually looks a lot better than I was expecting. And I'm a fan of the wing - I don't like how sloped the back end is without it, and the wing breaks up the bubble butt.

The interior is pretty solid...except for that silly center screen. Get rid of that, or at least integrate it into the dash, and it would be really sharp.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
7/21/22 8:41 a.m.

I'm nit going to say the wing looks silly (I drove a Fiero GT for many years so figure I don't get to criticize) but that three pipe exhaust looks weird even if it works as it is supposed to.

(https://www.autoweek.com/news/technology/a1824021/heres-explanation-behind-civic-type-rs-three-tailpipes/#:~:text=At%20the%20rear%20axle%2C%20the,when%20cruising%20at%20high%20speeds.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/21/22 2:17 p.m.
pointofdeparture said:

In reply to wearymicrobe :

I mean, to be fair, the first few Civic Type Rs looked like this...

Yes! Those are what CTR is supposed to be. This new car is....an Accord. 

c0rbin9
c0rbin9 Reader
7/21/22 2:23 p.m.

The good thing about the screen like that is what when the car is old and the tech is obsolete, you can just break it off and smooth over that part of the dash. Much better than having it permanently integrated into the dash.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
7/21/22 2:42 p.m.

I don't consider the new car to be a hatchback, more of a liftback, and I don't associate a sporty small car like the CTR being a sedan liftback. 

That being said, the CTR has been a sedan longer than it's been a two-door hatchback, so I guess this is part the course. 

pointofdeparture
7/21/22 3:16 p.m.

In reply to mblommel :

I mean, we can make wishes all day long, but people just do not buy 3 door hatchbacks anymore, to the point where VW even gave up on the 3-door GTI, the one that outsold all the rest. Even the funky Veloster didn't sell enough to escape the guillotine.

Sure it looks kinda like an Accord but it's 18" shorter and 500lbs lighter and actually has a tailgate instead of just looking like it should have one. All of those things are just fine with me.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/21/22 3:17 p.m.

yay another overpriced, overhyped honda! 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/21/22 3:35 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Whats the other overpriced overhyped current Honda?

pointofdeparture
7/21/22 3:43 p.m.
bobzilla said:

yay another overpriced, overhyped honda! 

If Honda releasing a new performance car is getting people wound up enough to go piss in others' coffee about it, either they are doing something right, or the enthusiast crowd is doomed. (Probably a little of both.) 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/21/22 3:43 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

the last one. And the NSX. And the Integra. I have a hard time getting excited about Honda anymore. That really long wait for hte NSX kinda killed it.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/21/22 3:54 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Ah okay, overpriced could be fair but everything is. And I dont recall much hype with the Integra and the new NSX was def forgettable and priced really high.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/21/22 4:06 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

The NSX was promised and hyped for almost 10 years IIRC. To the point when it came out most felt "meh"

pointofdeparture
7/21/22 4:51 p.m.
tremm said:

Does anyone know if it's actually big, or just looks big? I also got an, "oh, looks more Accord than Civic".

The Civic Hatchback is 18" shorter than a current Accord and about 500lbs lighter, so it's more of a styling language similarity than anything else.

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/21/22 5:18 p.m.

I actually think it looks really good, and I hated the old one. That said, it's unlikely I'm interested in paying that much for a Civic one way or the other.....but then again I'm less interested in speed these days (on the street) then I used to be.  But style-wise, I'd certainly drive it if I had a bunch of cash burning a hole in my pocket. 

I kinda wish they would have just given the drivetrain to the new Integra. Much easier to convince people who can afford $40k-$50k to buy a super-fast Acura Integra than a super-fast Honda Civic.....at least in my view. 

RaabTheSaab
RaabTheSaab New Reader
7/21/22 5:44 p.m.

Love it. No notes. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vw6SSq3HwQ9KiWO1eQDDEBA7Vqzx7HXWpc2q907loF3Js6yyWKRX3HyfAmU4LG9z