1 2 3
racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
3/16/16 1:50 p.m.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/03/16/epa-crashes-amateur-car-races-with-buried-regulation.html

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Reader
3/16/16 2:01 p.m.

I'm curious who is in the EPA is "spear heading" this opposition. It never seemed to be a concern before and, I would think, someone in the EPA must have proclaimed this vendetta at some point.

The Hoff
The Hoff UltraDork
3/16/16 2:07 p.m.

Did I miss something? There wasn't a single fact or any documentation of the the headline claim.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
3/16/16 2:46 p.m.
The Hoff wrote: Did I miss something? There wasn't a single fact or any documentation of the the headline claim.

It's Fox News. I'm surprised the headline wasn't "EPA Chief Administrator Satan Beelzebub Sends His Evil Minions to Oppress Good White Christian Drivers"

The Hoff
The Hoff UltraDork
3/16/16 2:52 p.m.
irish44j wrote:
The Hoff wrote: Did I miss something? There wasn't a single fact or any documentation of the the headline claim.
It's Fox News. I'm surprised the headline wasn't "EPA Chief Administrator Satan Beelzebub Sends His Evil Minions to Oppress Good White Christian Drivers"

true story

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
3/16/16 2:55 p.m.

At first I was like:

Then I was like:

irish44j wrote: It's Fox News.

Then I closed the tab.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
3/16/16 2:58 p.m.
NordicSaab wrote: I'm curious who is in the EPA is "spear heading" this opposition. It never seemed to be a concern before and, I would think, someone in the EPA must have proclaimed this vendetta at some point.

Nothing like this ever comes out of the blue. You're on the right track but don't look for a vendetta, look for special interest money seeking to influence an upcoming piece of regulation. Specifically, who would benefit from a law prohibiting the conversion of road vehicles into race cars?

New race tracks are popping up all over the country. If this regulation became law, how many of them would be forced to close, creating a fire sale on the land and assets of those tracks? Would wealthy NIMBY neighbors living near tracks be willing to spend money lobbying EPA administrators to race events? Etc, etc.

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
3/16/16 3:11 p.m.

That was the first link posted by a facebook friend. A simple google of EPA Racecar law returned several articles posted in the last few hours, like this one...

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/03/showdown-over-epa-racecar-regulations-begins-in-congress/

Floundering pricks.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
3/16/16 3:12 p.m.
irish44j wrote:

Your a fool if you think any other news site is any better.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/16/16 3:13 p.m.

I don't think it's actually driven by a desire to stop amateur race cars specifically. What seems more likely to me is that the EPA wants to clamp down on people modifying street cars, but it's difficult (both politically and practically) to go after the end users. To that end, they want to go after the manufacturers of aftermarket parts used for these modifications (there are fewer of them, and because they're "evil corporations" it's a lot harder to drum up popular support for them). The thing is that manufacturers can sell parts with the label "for competition use only, not for use on a street car" and that's a pretty good defense against it.

So basically the EPA is willing to throw amateur motorsports under the bus in order to pursue their agenda against people who modify street cars.

Fletch1
Fletch1 Dork
3/16/16 3:18 p.m.

In reply to racerfink:

Keep up the good work. Not all of us are complacent

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
3/16/16 3:22 p.m.
bravenrace wrote:
irish44j wrote:

Why do Fox News followers always get so offended when anyone bashes it? Nobody gets offended when someone bashes MSNBC or something, lol. Regardless, in no part of my statement did I say any other news site is better. I was only commenting on the link that was posted. Feel free to post a CNN or MSNBC link and I'll be happy to disparage it as well

That said, Fox News is right-leaning, and the right generally thinks of the EPA as evil, so the headline is unsurprising in this case.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
3/16/16 3:28 p.m.

In reply to irish44j:

I'm not a Fox follower. Just pointing out your bias as you point out there's.

The Hoff
The Hoff UltraDork
3/16/16 3:31 p.m.
racerfink wrote: That was the first link posted by a facebook friend. A simple google of EPA Racecar law returned several articles posted in the last few hours, like this one... http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/03/showdown-over-epa-racecar-regulations-begins-in-congress/ Floundering pricks.

Then you should have posted an article that actually has information. You're the OP, so the burden is on you.

oldsaw
oldsaw UltimaDork
3/16/16 3:31 p.m.
bravenrace wrote:
irish44j wrote:

They're fools for even thinking Fox is the source. The "article" was written by an employee of watchdog.org which is part of the Franklin Center for Government and Public Integrity; http://franklincenterhq.org/

We just saw some Berkeley-twits have a circular knee-jerk reaction to an opinion screed based on old news and hosted by a source they don't trust. You know, like the Huffington Post publishing something from moveon.org or the NYT posting an article written by a reporter for the AP.

I am amused...

The Hoff
The Hoff UltraDork
3/16/16 3:33 p.m.

In reply to oldsaw:

The mistake was even considering it an "article". It was a headline with no substance in the body.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/16/16 3:35 p.m.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/16/16 3:36 p.m.

Slow news cycle? It seems there are no more details than what we discussed before.

Hal
Hal SuperDork
3/16/16 3:47 p.m.
codrus wrote: The thing is that manufacturers can sell parts with the label "for competition use only, not for use on a street car" and that's a pretty good defense against it. So basically the EPA is willing to throw amateur motorsports under the bus in order to pursue their agenda against people who modify street cars.

Exactly!! Example: There was (may still be?) a pipe made for my 2001 Focus (and all other Zetec engine Focuses) that was a simple bolt on to remove/replace the catalytic converter. It was sold with the "off road use only" labeling. Thousands were sold but probably less than 1% ever ended up on a true non-streetable race car. Mainly because there were better though more expensive exhausts available for true race cars.

This is the type of stuff the EPA is trying to do away with but they haven't come up with a way to do it without affecting the racing community.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb HalfDork
3/16/16 4:01 p.m.

Hey Guys, I brought the torches and pitch forks! Is this the right place.....yeah this looks like it.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/16 4:23 p.m.

Threads like this give mods grey hair. Just sad folks, sad.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i HalfDork
3/16/16 4:33 p.m.
irish44j wrote:
bravenrace wrote:
irish44j wrote:
Why do Fox News followers always get so offended when anyone bashes it? Nobody gets offended when someone bashes MSNBC or something, lol. Regardless, in no part of my statement did I say any other news site is better. I was only commenting on the link that was posted. Feel free to post a CNN or MSNBC link and I'll be happy to disparage it as well That said, Fox News is right-leaning, and the right generally thinks of the EPA as evil, so the headline is unsurprising in this case.

I know, right? The EPA did such good work at the Colorado mine site and in Flint.

flint

EPA does do good things, but they're not infallable, and it's a little naive to think some of their leadership doesn't have an agenda.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
3/16/16 4:43 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to irish44j: I'm not a Fox follower. Just pointing out your bias as you point out there's.

I worked for the GOP and Mitch McConnell for three years doing opposition research. I watched our committee literally feed information/articles (some of which I wrote) to Fox News (and other news organizations) and saw them show up verbatim on TV or in newspapers. So I'm pretty sure it's not bias that you're seeing, it's firsthand knowledge.

(and yes, the other party does the same thing, I'm not judging here, just stating facts.)

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
3/16/16 4:47 p.m.
OldGray320i wrote:
irish44j wrote:
bravenrace wrote:
irish44j wrote:
Why do Fox News followers always get so offended when anyone bashes it? Nobody gets offended when someone bashes MSNBC or something, lol. Regardless, in no part of my statement did I say any other news site is better. I was only commenting on the link that was posted. Feel free to post a CNN or MSNBC link and I'll be happy to disparage it as well That said, Fox News is right-leaning, and the right generally thinks of the EPA as evil, so the headline is unsurprising in this case.
I know, right? The EPA did such good work at the Colorado mine site and in Flint. flint EPA does do good things, but they're not infallable, and it's a little naive to think some of their leadership doesn't have an agenda.

Not disagreeing. Every company, agency, and organization has an agenda, and every leader of any of those have their own personal agendas. EPA is no different, nor am I a defender of how any bloated bureaucracy (which the EPA is) operates.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse HalfDork
3/16/16 4:59 p.m.

It seems like these articles come along often now due to the hype and hysteria they cause. More hysteria generates more clicks. Folks- this is click bait.

They know the car tuning world is passionate, and when threatened we vow revenge. Don't play into it.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aKNQ1t5FePSD3r8cyXJ280pGGhUbRv3ceIxlp3jaz89Qptk2g6VZxFTq3UyJp2mx