1 2 3 4
miataman86
miataman86 Reader
11/27/12 12:19 p.m.

I'm looking for ways to lose a decent amount of weight in my 91 Miata while keeping it streetable. It's my DD but I also use it for autoX. I plan on removing the AC system, but keeping the heater core (for a while at least) and I'm gonna be removing the head unit and the Infinity speakers I have as well. With all of the AC plumbing and the compressor, along with the audio stuff, that should be close to 30 lbs. Any other ideas that would help lose weight but allow the Miata to be streetable and civilized still? I'd like to lose 50 lbs out os the car if possible without spending a whole lot of money. I've got the idea to replace the steering wheel with a Sparco wheel as well.

tpwalsh
tpwalsh Reader
11/27/12 12:21 p.m.

Buy a hard top, remove the softtop. It's worth 30 lbs or so.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/27/12 12:23 p.m.

A Miata is one of the hardest cars to strip. Minus the spare and passenger seat, there's probably less than 50lbs of excess weight in there before you have to chop it up with a sawzall to lose more. Including the sound system.

^Good suggestion above though.

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
11/27/12 12:24 p.m.

I have that idea rolling around as well. I'd have to wait for tax returns to come out before I get one.

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
11/27/12 12:27 p.m.

Once she's a track only car, all the interior stuff will be removed, but for now, I want it all to stay. Replacing the OEM exhaust with a cat back could help lose some weight as well.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/27/12 12:29 p.m.

IIRC there are another 8-10lbs to be gained by replacing the trunk lid and the rear finish panel with CF panels. Not a cheap way to lose weight, though.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson SuperDork
11/27/12 12:31 p.m.

This came up recently. This was my list when I was thinking of another Miata before I got the SAAB

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
11/27/12 12:32 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: This came up recently. This was my list when I was thinking of another Miata before I got the SAAB

Ah hah! Thank you!

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
11/27/12 12:37 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

BRILLIANT!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/27/12 12:40 p.m.

A lot of those "basic" mods are rather extreme and very street-unfriendly.

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
11/27/12 12:44 p.m.

If I had the money, Carbon would be an opinion, but I've got a list of things that I want to do to the Miata already to get it ready for track days this coming year. Sparco seat with PCS seat mount, Carbotech brakes, R-S3 on the Team Dynamics rims, and a Mishimoto X-Core radiator. Trying to save money AND losing weight is the gameplan.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
11/27/12 1:08 p.m.

You could probably get away with a somewhat smaller battery than OEM spec. I took the spare and jack out of mine and carry a "Slime" tire repair kit. I did this because I wanted the trunk space.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
11/27/12 1:09 p.m.

On my '90 I ditched the A/C, depowered rack, pulled the insulation from under the carpet, all the junk out of the trunk, removed the center console..........I left the rest of the interior since I still occasionally drive the car on the street and nice weekends.

But this was mostly to offset all the weight I added with the Sport brakes, roll bar, butterfly brace, Frog Arms, harnesses, Corbeau seats (a bit lighter than stock but not by much).

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
11/27/12 1:22 p.m.

I have a Hard Dog Hardcore M1 roll bar installed so she's a little heavier than when I first got her 2 years ago. I'm looking to get her less than factory weight of 2150. I've also added a 5 point harness for autoX so there's extra weight as well. I'm thinking AC compressor, plumbing, and such will be around 30 lbs? Stripping the trunk will take a little out, audio removal will be about 7.5 lbs.

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
11/27/12 1:23 p.m.

I'm keeping the spare and jack for just in case.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/12 1:46 p.m.

Weight loss numbers are usually pretty optimistic in my experience. For example, you'll find the rear bumper structure to be very light in the first place and I'd be surprised if there was 10 lbs that could be removed.

Still, here's some of what I've played with. The Targa Miata was about 2150 lbs ready to race as a four cylinder, and that's with a full cage, full size spare with race rubber, full weather gear, extra bracing, etc. And of course, a full tank of gas.

Miata weight loss

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
11/27/12 2:11 p.m.

I've heard of people removing the rear bumper structure, but wouldn't that reduce the integrity of the rear end in a collision?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/12 2:47 p.m.

A little bump, yes. A big whack, not so much. Look at that link of mine and you'll see what's under there.

Then again, if you're building for a collision, perhaps a lightweight Miata is the incorrect goal

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
11/27/12 3:29 p.m.

Interesting link, Keith!

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
11/27/12 3:38 p.m.

It's gonna be interesting to see how much weight I can lose in my Miata and keep it streetable and civilized as my DD.

unk577
unk577 Reader
11/27/12 3:42 p.m.

If you search Craigslist in Tampa there is a guy who makes hardtops out of fiberglas that weight approx. 11lb without the window. Add lexan and I think you'll be sub 15lb for the hardtop which is a huge savings over the factory one. Quality is pretty nice too

unk577
unk577 Reader
11/27/12 3:43 p.m.

Oh and cheaper than most hardtops on CL

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
11/27/12 3:46 p.m.

I'm gonna look into that!

unk577
unk577 Reader
11/27/12 3:52 p.m.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/pts/3273678942.html

Disregard the fits to 07'. Only fits 90-05(damn Porsche guys)

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
11/27/12 3:57 p.m.

A buddy of mine that owns Redline Autosports is building a track car in his shop. For weight savings he omitted the headlights on the NA and installed the small rectangular headlights to the turn signals. He fabricated the hood to fill in the spaces left by the headlights being taken out. Very creative

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CbR2rDivQtIqXMCdVMYAn9IV930j7T2dPM9qETiVe41pu2umjC2FIzTGsyb3IAIh