1 2 3
TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/19/22 8:41 p.m.

Im just glad to see Grindr sponsoring a Pro race team and driver who is gay, and im glad to see that the racing orgs loosened up enough to even let such a sponsor in the game. 

It would be cool too if people on this forum could stop trying to fight over every berkin post. Thanks

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/20/22 1:52 a.m.

The story is pretty unclear.  What does "But the community came to the rescue" mean? What community, and what rescue is being referring to?  It doesn't seem like he was "rescued" at all considering the results being referring to did not happen until mid-season.  Clearly he had to have gear for the first part of the season, so he didn't really need rescuing.  It's would be kind of like the fire department "rescuing" you a week after the fire was out.

Grindr sponsoring him is certainly a great promotion for him.  I am not sure I would refer to Grindr as a "community" though. They are an organization that makes money in a specific community, but I don't know if that makes them a representative of it.  The social app community?

There is also the possibility (that no one has mentioned) that an overly exuberant fan stole his gear (which would be a pretty good target for a fan)

Realistically it sounds like a simple crime of opportunity (especially considering the thief likely did not know exactly what they were stealing since it was in a bag) that may have brought the driver publicity that helped him get a good sponsorship.  

Or... maybe he's just a good driver that deserves a sponsorship and got one.

I certainly wish him well.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/20/22 4:10 a.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/20/22 7:13 a.m.
TJL (Forum Supporter) said:

It would be cool too if people on this forum could stop trying to fight over every berkin post. Thanks

This.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/20/22 5:25 p.m.

I would agree that the arguing is not generally productive (kind of by definition) but DISCUSSING things is very useful (not meant to imply anyone would disagree with this), and very much needed in todays media market. Is disputing what is reported arguing?  It certainly doesn't have to be. It's usually the tangents that become the arguments.

This article is actually a great example of why discussion is useful.  If I only read that article only, I would have a completely different idea of what went on.  Because of the discussion in this thread, I think I have a much better perspective on what probably actually happened (many times it will be hard to know an exact truth of course).

Sadly, this "discussion" (research really) should have happen on the journalism side. The consumers of the material really should not be the ones who have to do that.

Even if this article was a bit more clear, discussing it would still be useful to explore aspect it brings up (e.g. people giving example of what they have seen or experienced). I don't think anyone would disagree with this.

The difference between discussion and argument?  They are similar but I think it can be said an argument will generally upset everyone involved and is far less likely to result in a common gain of knowledge/ understanding.

How do we avoid arguments?  Obviously, disputing an idea, and not the person is one.  Making an effort to acknowledge and see the perspective of others is useful.

That said, I am not even sure how much of this thread is really arguing, mostly tangents.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/22 6:49 p.m.
aircooled said:

How do we avoid arguments? 

Hugs.  Definitely hugs.  If everyone hugged someone before talking to them there wouldn't be any arguments.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/20/22 7:26 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

i suggested previously that if people want to argue or fight, they can, but they must disrobe and do it naked.  It would stop a good 99% of arguing/fighting. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/22 7:36 p.m.

In reply to TJL (Forum Supporter) :

Oh I'm with you.  I remember when my ex and I were having problems.  We had a good night of sex one night and the next day I told her that it's hard to get mad at someone that you're berkeleying.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
8/20/22 8:07 p.m.

Mostly from laughter...

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/20/22 9:55 p.m.
Stampie said:
aircooled said:

How do we avoid arguments? 

Hugs.  Definitely hugs.  If everyone hugged someone before talking to them there wouldn't be any arguments.

With all that man hugging you'll spread teh Monkey Pox.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/22 10:21 a.m.

I was told that it's underhanded to trip someone. 

bentwrench
bentwrench UltraDork
8/21/22 11:32 a.m.

Drag racing is a very "Social" sport.

They don't spend much time racing, so other topics weigh heavier in the mix....

1 2 3

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
08vc6Ks85Z8V82bKtu9lobVZuhYa92E2iKl3icQhPPNQZawJRzjjgzL06ZxgkqZs