1 2
03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
4/23/24 3:15 a.m.

In reply to wspohn :

Like you say, I'm sure I'd either fit, or can make one fit me. Getting in, and especially out, could be rough!!!

Tony Wattwood
Tony Wattwood New Reader
4/25/24 4:35 p.m.

I'm 6' 3" 250 lbs.  Once in the Europa, I like the fit.  the headrest does hit the back of my neck rather than the back of my head.  I wear very narrow shoes as the footwell size is the biggest issue.

Really, getting in/out of a car you use once in a while is pretty irrelevant (at least to me), but it's always the biggest talking point. The payback for dealing with it is I am driving a one-of-a kind road car that is very planted, precisely balanced and surgical to drive.  Like nothing else I've ever driven (and I've been around).Lotus Europa S2

When people ask me about getting in/out I always say "I'm highly motivated" and I really am.

Tony W - New Smyrna Beach Fl

69 Lotus Elan S4SE

60 AH Bugeye Sprite

69 Lotus Europa S2

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
4/25/24 8:39 p.m.

In reply to Tony Wattwood :

I would assume that you are either not as old as me, or have not used your body as hard! 
The pain is not insurmountable, but is definitely not irrelevant, to folks in pain. 
Glad you don't hurt as bad as some of us, but it ain't the absolute that you put it out as. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/26/24 1:25 p.m.

In reply to Tony Wattwood :

Ingress and egress means little compared to the way the interior is shaped.

A Pontiac Solstice is a fairly large car.  Here's me trying to drive one without shoes on:

The dashboard is so bulky that I can't reach the brake pedal with my right foot.

Meanwhile, I can drive an NA Miata like it was designed specifically for me.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/26/24 1:54 p.m.

Threads like this bring back memories of Dr Hess and his term, "Free Range Europa" as most are found in their "natural state":  in-op, covered in leaves/pine needles and usually with the cylinder head in the passenger side foot well.

I've sat in a few of them over the years and fortunately (unfortunately?) I fit well.  I have a Spitfire and a GT6, which have similar construction as the frame relates to the body, although being steel, the Triumphs "should" have better side-impact protection.   But like most LBCs of the era, the seat belts are mostly there to keep the bits inside the car to make clean up easier.  

I still want a Europa some day... 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/26/24 6:16 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

I still want a Europa that runs/drives & isn't a major project someday...

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/26/24 7:35 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

I still want a Europa that runs/drives & isn't a major project someday...

It's British. And a Lotus (Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious). So you're asking for a lot.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
4/26/24 8:47 p.m.

I remember a bumper sticker on an ol' MGB:

all of the parts you are falling off of this car, are of quality British manufacture. 

Might have been printed for Lotus laugh

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bXutRm2UwoGE3uaC9KsetrwyABmLVZayKmfZGjLCNtVkk9jFFjV0kl7wDinZcV0j