FlightService
FlightService Dork
2/5/12 8:59 a.m.

Not mine but it's something

1961 Lotus 18 Formula Junior

Description:

1961 Lotus 18 Formula Junior

The 18, introduced for the 1960 FJ season, was the first mid-engined car built by Lotus it was one of the most successful models of is time.

A Cosworth Ford 105E four-cylinder engine, rebuilt by the lotus experts at Dave Bean Engineering, powers this car. A four-speed Hewland MK6 racing gearbox is currently fitted to the car and is available in addition to the original Renault 318 four-speed box. The car has recently been mechanically sorted, and also received fresh paint and a new interior. Additionally, new Alfin drum brakes have been fitted on all four corners. For the past five years the car has participated with the Vintage Sports Car Club of America.

The car is extremely light, simple, and handles remarkably well, making it a great car for beginner and expert racers alike.

The car is located 30 miles west of Philadelphia, PA

Reasonably Priced at $47500 USD with both the Hewland & the original Renault gearboxes

Sold as / Where is Please contact David: 610-836-2716, dlgeorge3@gmail.com Let me know if you have any questions.

Identification Data:

Dash Plate:

Chassis #: 18/J/792

Engine #: S191947/E

Frame#: 987198

Engine#: 38340

dculberson
dculberson HalfDork
2/5/12 9:21 a.m.

Beeeeeeautiful car. Great photography, too.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/5/12 10:15 a.m.

My all time favorite style of race car

Graefin10
Graefin10 Dork
2/5/12 10:58 a.m.

Look closely at the front view of the car. It appears to me that the body, at least, is twisted to the rt. side of the car as seen from the driver's seat. Look at the grill opening in relation to the windshield and the suspension. I would hope it's just an optical illusion but I would also hope that the frame isn't twisted that much.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/5/12 11:13 a.m.

It's 50 year old fiberglass.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
2/5/12 11:16 a.m.
Graefin10 wrote: Look closely at the front view of the car. It appears to me that the body, at least, is twisted to the rt. side of the car as seen from the driver's seat. Look at the grill opening in relation to the windshield and the suspension. I would hope it's just an optical illusion but I would also hope that the frame isn't twisted that much.

The car is parked on a slope.

Anybody shelling out 40K+ for a vintage formula car should have enough sense to have it thoroughly inspected by a reputable soucre. I suspect there are at least a dozen (or so) shops in the PA, NY, NE area that could do the job.

LopRacer
LopRacer Reader
2/5/12 1:08 p.m.

Yet another reason for water proof key boards so they aren't ruined by all the drool. Maybe when I grow up I can be a vintage race car collector, in stead of a vintage collector of grown up cars.

nicksta43
nicksta43 Reader
2/5/12 1:29 p.m.

I want to build a copy of that to drive back and forth to work in. I never have anyone else in the car with me and a single seater formula car would be perfect.

corytate
corytate HalfDork
2/5/12 1:29 p.m.

favorite style of my favorite type (open wheel) of race car. that is glorious.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Sq3yrHEEZxoZ6BO2fgPMLoaAl6pHpsxIplQq6ZpPHIgwjdhJr3kZp4xj6rItnV9l